Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike will not start Grrrrr! (Read 225 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bike will not start Grrrrr!
Reply #15 - 07/11/13 at 16:53:44

battery ios hot, starter goes clank,, sure its t5he stareter & not the solenoid? if youre sure its the starter, then put that thing in 5th or whatever *& turn the motor , or pull the plug, but you need to see the motor turn over,

or, is this a model that can lose the started gear?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #16 - 07/11/13 at 17:04:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/13 at 16:53:44:
battery ios hot, starter goes clank,, sure its t5he stareter & not the solenoid? if youre sure its the starter, then put that thing in 5th or whatever *& turn the motor , or pull the plug, but you need to see the motor turn over,

Well, there you have me. The starter is NOT turning the engine over. I just hear a single clank. Could be the solenoid. What does that do?

Quote:
or, is this a model that can lose the started gear?

I don't know what that means.

1999 LS650 Dyna muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslavy
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 07/11/13 at 17:16:58

awwrite, put your hand on the solenoid, hit the start button.

if you feel it click & thats where the clank is from, the touch the starter, hit button, feel there,, if nothing, solenoid isnt passing current
or, starter is dead
if it clanks
( what year model?0)

You may need to pull the starter

Guys, i am 1 handed
i know others know this stuff
help this huy out

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #18 - 07/11/13 at 17:38:35

I hate to be a pain, but I am lost here.

I don't feel anything from the solenoid. I don't feel anything from the starter. The clank I hear seems to be coming from the engine itself.

I feel it is something electrical because during all this it did once crank up just as normal.

Could the rectifier be an issue? I remember the seller telling he had a hard time getting it to crank once and it turned out to be the rectifier.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/11/13 at 17:51:57

every once in awhile, a connector under the seat will pull loose.
3 Wire connector that goes to the starter relay.

« Last Edit: 07/11/13 at 19:02:43 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #20 - 07/11/13 at 18:43:02

try checking the starter button contacts inside the handlebar controls (under the kill switch) if theres any corrosion on the contacts she wont spin and itll clunk

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 07/11/13 at 18:56:04

Quote:
OK, out of the bike battery tested good 12.84 volts. Kickstand switch removed and bypassed. Clutch switch jumpered. Still no start, just the starter going clank. What next?

Quote:
don't feel anything from the solenoid. I don't feel anything from the starter. The clank I hear seems to be coming from the engine itself

Quote:
Could the rectifier be an issue? I remember the seller telling he had a hard time getting it to crank once and it turned out to be the rectifier.

Forget about the rectifier for now. It's part of the charging system not the starting system. If the problem was in the charging system you would have a dead battery, but you said the battery was ok.

I'm confused by the "clank". There is nothing in the motor that can make noise when you hit the start button UNLESS the starter is trying to turn.

Note: What comes next is only valid if you are positive that your battery is ok. Did you actually take it somewhere and have it load tested. Just testing the voltage across the terminals only tells part of the story. A bad battery is the most common cause of a no start.

Touch the negative lead from your voltmeter to the engine case somewhere, touch the positive lead to the stud on the starter that has the wire hooked to it and push the start button. If you get a voltage reading pretty close to battery voltage and the starter isn't turning the engine, then you're going to have to pull the starter out and figure out why. If you get NO voltage at the stud when you hit the start button then the solenoid isn't sending the juice to the starter. That will give you - and us - a better idea of where to go next.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 07/11/13 at 19:20:31

you can get alligator clips that push onto your test leads, so you dont need 3 arms. radio shack

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 07/12/13 at 06:40:34

It may be that the clank you are hearing from the engine is the decompression solenoid energizing and pulling the exhaust valve open.  See if that noise is coming from the top of the engine and up in the bottom of the fuel tank.

If the decompression solenoid is working that tells you the starter button is working and the safety switches are OK.  THe next thing to check is that the starter solenoid is receiving the signal to energize....you need to check with a voltmeter or test light at the wires that energized the starter solenoid.  If that is getting power you then need to confirm the starter solenoid is energizing and sending power to the starter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #24 - 07/12/13 at 07:36:09

Dave wrote on 07/12/13 at 06:40:34:
It may be that the clank you are hearing from the engine is the decompression solenoid energizing and pulling the exhaust valve open.  See if that noise is coming from the top of the engine and up in the bottom of the fuel tank.

If the decompression solenoid is working that tells you the starter button is working and the safety switches are OK.  THe next thing to check is that the starter solenoid is receiving the signal to energize....you need to check with a voltmeter or test light at the wires that energized the starter solenoid.  If that is getting power you then need to confirm the starter solenoid is energizing and sending power to the starter.

I was listening to it last night and this is exactly what I was hearing! Loudest right at the top of the head, bottom of gas tank.

IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #25 - 07/12/13 at 07:39:13

oldNslow wrote on 07/11/13 at 18:56:04:
Note: What comes next is only valid if you are positive that your battery is ok. Did you actually take it somewhere and have it load tested. Just testing the voltage across the terminals only tells part of the story. A bad battery is the most common cause of a no start.

Touch the negative lead from your voltmeter to the engine case somewhere, touch the positive lead to the stud on the starter that has the wire hooked to it and push the start button. If you get a voltage reading pretty close to battery voltage and the starter isn't turning the engine, then you're going to have to pull the starter out and figure out why. If you get NO voltage at the stud when you hit the start button then the solenoid isn't sending the juice to the starter. That will give you - and us - a better idea of where to go next.

Will check this tonight. Thanks

IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #26 - 07/12/13 at 14:53:51

verslagen1 wrote on 07/11/13 at 17:51:57:
every once in awhile, a connector under the seat will pull loose.
3 Wire connector that goes to the starter relay.

Problem solved! U R Da Man Versalgen1!!!

Thank you and everyone else who tried to help!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike will not start Grrrrr!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.