Send Topic Print
Cam Question (Read 140 times)
sSavage81
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cam Question
07/09/13 at 18:10:31

I am looking at purchasing another savage and I am not very familiar with pricing and repairs as far as the Cam goes.  Here is what the description of the ad is..

"1998 Suzuki Savage 650 has a broken piece on the cam will not start, because timing jumped other than that the bike is clean..."

What would I be looking at as far as repair costs...? Does this mean the motor needs replaced?

Thanks for all help way in advance!

sSavage

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Cam Question
Reply #1 - 07/09/13 at 18:13:35

That's vague,.. but it probably needs a new head,... maybe more...

Walk away... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sSavage81
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/09/13 at 18:18:13

What would you recommend paying for a bike that needed these repairs?? Thanks BTW!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/09/13 at 18:23:54

$300 or so... but I could be talked into more to take it.   Grin

you should figure on the engine as scrap.

WWW   IP Logged
sSavage81
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/09/13 at 18:38:34

Thank you!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/09/13 at 18:52:37

98 model? Id pay what he could get rollin it across the scales & not a dime more, cuz theres a good chance thats what youll do if ya buy it..

BUT, if youre up for a challenge, & wanna mess around with a bike more than ride one,, then take it home, drag out the tools & walk off into it.

but, look at retail value of a 98,, no matter how it works out, youll always have at least a 15 y/o bike,, its only gonna be worth just above nothing, but, YOU mite have a ride for dang few bucks & get very familiar with these bikes while ya do it..

do you have tools?
place to work?
time?
do you wanna piddle or ride?
youre the only one who can decide, but, imo, its an odds on, across the scales, load, & you should be pleased the guy was so hnest.

how does he know the cam is junk?
mite pop the valve covers & have a look,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 07/09/13 at 19:04:34

If it really jumped time, the chain had to get really loose.  Maybe the tensioner came apart, as they are known to do.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
sSavage81
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/09/13 at 19:17:53

I already have a 98 savage in running condition. I was looking to get this one as well and then go from there.  I don't mind piddling around with it but I didn't want to pay TOO much for it either. He is asking 700 obo.  You guys have been working on these bikes and on this forum for years so I figure the experience is here.  

I have tools and time but no one wants to waste money. I'll see what type of price difference I can talk him into.

Thanks for all of the advice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/09/13 at 19:24:58

offer (pick a very low number) & leave your number. tell him to call you if no one pays more? youre not in a hurry to own a boat anchor, are you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sSavage81
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/09/13 at 19:32:40

Gotya,  Thanks.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 07/10/13 at 03:20:33

sSavage81 wrote on 07/09/13 at 18:10:31:
I am looking at purchasing another savage and I am not very familiar with pricing and repairs as far as the Cam goes.  Here is what the description of the ad is..

"1998 Suzuki Savage 650 has a broken piece on the cam will not start, because timing jumped other than that the bike is clean..."

What would I be looking at as far as repair costs...? Does this mean the motor needs replaced?

Thanks for all help way in advance!

sSavage

You never know how bad it may be until you can take it apart and see.  The entire head/piston/cylinder could be damaged or perhaps its just the cam chain.  You just don't know.
It is a "PARTS BIKE", and as such is only worth $300.  If he wants more then he would need to part it out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/10/13 at 05:13:51

If the cam jumped timing the valves could have hit the piston and made the piston, cylinder and head junk......and maybe the rod and crank as well.  An engine rebuild or used engine can cost $ 800 - $ 1,000 to go back to stock....and a bit more if you get the need to put in a Wiseco, Performance Cam, etc.

THe Savage is such an inexpensive used bike that you could pick up a nice running bike for an equivalent price of buying this trashed bike and fixing it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Reply #12 - 07/10/13 at 08:36:56

I paid $700 for my '98 running just fine with a few cosmetic issues.  I agree that $300 should me the max.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/10/13 at 09:04:18

My 98 is heavily modified, but needs the electrical system finished up and a cam chain tensioner. I wouldn't give even $300 for it as it sits, and I know the engine runs.

Let's see, 5 cents a pound for the iron/steel parts, and 40 cents a pound for the aluminum parts comes out to... not worth the time to break it down.

If you are buying it for spare parts, a couple hundred bucks, tops. Keep the tins, the belt and similar "consumables", maybe the carb, outer engine cases, exhaust, etc. But consider the main core of the engine scrap.

Some Craigslist loony down here wants $1200 for a 95 with a bad carb, missing battery, worn out tires... and needing a bonded title.  Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sSavage81
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/11/13 at 12:34:56

Thanks for all of the informative replies.  

I sent the owner an email offering 300.00 this morning.  No reply as of yet.

If he accepts ok, if Not, well then he can keep it.  

Either way I feel that the information you guys gave helped a lot.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:17:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.