Throttle Lock (Read 201 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Throttle Lock
Reply #15 - 07/09/13 at 15:23:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/09/13 at 12:39:56:
practice ( i trust you wear gloves?) relaxing your grip & letting the friction created by the weight of the arm, palm down, hold it open. my hand stopped going numb when i simply learned how to manage the throttle
with less muscle, which = lighter grip, which = less vibration into the hand. i do wear gel pad gloves a lot, but plain leather works on the stock grip okay for me. people are different. how their body reacts, fingers, palm width, variables,, so, try stuff till ya get what you need,

I don't typically wear gloves. I try to remember the fingerless gloves for trips out of town. I do use the relax method. It works at times. Just not for very long. I am going to try some gel gloves to see if they help. I think a better seat will help my hands as well. My @ss gets sore and I shift around. Then my hand/arm position change. I dunno.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #16 - 07/09/13 at 16:33:56

I put a set of "GRIP PUPPIES" on my grips. They slide right over your existing grips. You can trim the length so they overlap your handlebar end cap and it gives just enough resistance to use as a throttle lock. Plus they increase the diameter of the grip to make it a little more comfy, and they are made of foam so they take up some of the vibration. the best part is they only cost about $10, so if you don't like them you don't have much invested. I have a set on my C50 now.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPS...

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #17 - 07/09/13 at 18:31:39

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 07/09/13 at 16:33:56:
I put a set of "GRIP PUPPIES" on my grips. They slide right over your existing grips. You can trim the length so they overlap your handlebar end cap and it gives just enough resistance to use as a throttle lock. Plus they increase the diameter of the grip to make it a little more comfy, and they are made of foam so they take up some of the vibration. the best part is they only cost about $10, so if you don't like them you don't have much invested. I have a set on my C50 now.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPS...
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/graphics/00000001/grip%20puppy.jpg

They look interesting. I may give them a shot.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #18 - 07/09/13 at 19:45:45

Greg wrote on 07/09/13 at 18:31:39:
ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 07/09/13 at 16:33:56:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/graphics/00000001/grip%20puppy.jpg

They look interesting. I may give them a shot.

My only suggestion would be to glue the handlebar end cap in place or the grip will loosen it and you will be buying another one. I had to replace 2 of them before I learned my lesson.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/09/13 at 20:42:34

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone.  Still looking around at options.  I am very comfortable with the stock handlebars.  But between tendonitis and carpal tunnel, the vibration kills me after a while.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/09/13 at 20:49:16

But between tendonitis and carpal tunnel, the vibration kills me after a while.

well duuuh! tiny little previously unshared details? dude,, you otta be happy you can still ride at all,,
sure nuff,, add some fluffy grips & some gel gloves, protect yourself
from the vibration as much as possible. the less you aggravate your conditions, the longer youll be able to keep riding,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #21 - 07/10/13 at 06:35:37

Another thing you might think about is applying some damping to the bars. There  are lots of products out there, but I have had success with filling them with lead shot. Unfortunately this will not work with the stock drag bars, as they have "dampers" welded in already (I don't know if the stock bull horns do as well). Mixing the size of the shot is supposed to offer further (slight) improvement but I haven't tried this.
What this does is lower the frequency and amplitude of the vibration, which can make it more tolerable.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 07/10/13 at 07:21:09

Drill a hole under a switch box or the throttle sleeve. Pour in your weights. Cap with resin or leave it as drilled since the hole is covered.

Simple work around.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle Lock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!