Send Topic Print
Throttle Lock (Read 201 times)
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Throttle Lock
07/08/13 at 22:43:56

So I was looking at things, and I saw a few aftermarket throttle locks.  I know my gas hand goes numb during a long drive, so my question is has anyone installed them and are they worth it?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Throttle Lock
Reply #1 - 07/08/13 at 23:17:35

There's a lot of fancy mechanisms out there...
This one is retarded... and it works...
No moving parts.... my buddy Gerry turned me on to them...
Simple is priceless...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Cruise-Throttle-Lock-Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-1-i...

I even made one myself... but, Gerry bought me real one...
Your choice...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 07/09/13 at 04:18:57

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-VISTA-CRUISE-CONTROL-UNIVERSAL/dp/B002EYZZSC

Looks like this on a bike, not mine:

I really like it, was a gift, but if something happened to it, I'd have to get me another.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 07/09/13 at 04:53:15

I also have the Go Cruise. Works. Cheap. Works. No moving parts. Works. Looks cool. Smiley

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/09/13 at 05:22:18

I've had the one listed on Amazon, and they work fine, but I just ordered the Go Cruise because of its simplicity.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 07/09/13 at 06:31:54

This is expensive but I really like the feature that it unlocks when you apply the front brake as well as with a thumb switch. Works a charm.http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 07/09/13 at 06:34:06

prechermike wrote on 07/09/13 at 04:18:57:
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-VISTA-CRUISE-CONTROL-UNIVERSAL/dp/B002EYZZSC

Looks like this on a bike, not mine:

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5004741738693745&pid=15.1

I really like it, was a gift, but if something happened to it, I'd have to get me another.

I have that one as well. I had to remove it this spring. I have no idea why, but it decided to "get tight" all by itself. The throttle would not return on its own. I still have al the parts, and may put it back on, but I got to figure how to adjust so it both works and lets the throttle return.  Its not a priority at this point.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 07/09/13 at 08:20:42

Lisa swears by one of the velcro in place plastic hand rests, prefers it to a throttle lock. Lets the hand relax and still operate the throttle.

Throttle lock on my bike is a spring loaded set screw. Get up to speed, give the screw a nudge tighter, it friction locks the throttle. I don't use it, after 15 years the throttle return spring on my bike has gotten weak, tends to stay open on its own.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 07/09/13 at 08:42:41

WD wrote on 07/09/13 at 08:20:42:
Lisa swears by one of the velcro in place plastic hand rests, prefers it to a throttle lock. Lets the hand relax and still operate the throttle.

Throttle lock on my bike is a spring loaded set screw. Get up to speed, give the screw a nudge tighter, it friction locks the throttle. I don't use it, after 15 years the throttle return spring on my bike has gotten weak, tends to stay open on its own.

I have a rubber hand rest. While they work great, I can't take my hand off the bars and place it on my leg to relax it or shake out the numbness.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/09/13 at 09:01:50

Greg wrote on 07/09/13 at 08:42:41:
WD wrote on 07/09/13 at 08:20:42:

I have a rubber hand rest. While they work great, I can't take my hand off the bars and place it on my leg to relax it or shake out the numbness.

Then you need a better fitting handlebar. If your arm/hand is going numb, you've got the wrong set up.

Lisa's 800 Intruder now runs 10" rise mini-apes. The stock bar was too low (and not adjustable, locked in place via riser tangs and bar slots). My Savage currently has 15" rise bars, but I need to shove them forward a bit and repin them in place (the stock risers don't work well with high bars).

Put a chunk of 2x4 under your kick stand. Sit in your normal riding position, let you arms and hands fall to a comfortable location. That's where your grips NEED to be. For most riders, that means stock pullback or drag bars hit the recycle pile in favor of a higher, wider bar.

I ride with high bars because I like them. Am planning a 3" or so height drop soon, and my tracker bend equipped CL Honda is getting a higher set (more like KZ440 bend).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 07/09/13 at 09:19:53

WD wrote on 07/09/13 at 09:01:50:
Then you need a better fitting handlebar. If your arm/hand is going numb, you've got the wrong set up.

While I agree that is how it is for most people who experience that, it is not my issue. I have done just that and used various combos of pull back and drag bars with different risers. I found where it is comfortable for me. My issue is health. My hands go numb while eating dinner, driving my car, using my cane, etc. I need to shake them off every now and then. Plus the vibration of the bars doesn't help matters much either.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/09/13 at 10:23:44

Have you tried gel palm gloves? They usually help.

I have the same problem with my left arm, free floating bone chip in my elbow.

And in my legs from spinal cord damage at the L4/L5 level out to the end. That's why I have a higher seat and floorboards now. And the apes actually help keep me in the right position so extra weight stays on my butt, not my lower back.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #12 - 07/09/13 at 12:25:00

I am in the process of trying to find "summer" gel gloves. I may just use my old bicycle gloves until I do.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/09/13 at 12:39:56

practice ( i trust you wear gloves?) relaxing your grip & letting the friction created by the weight of the arm, palm down, hold it open. my hand stopped going numb when i simply learned how to manage the throttle
with less muscle, which = lighter grip, which = less vibration into the hand. i do wear gel pad gloves a lot, but plain leather works on the stock grip okay for me. people are different. how their body reacts, fingers, palm width, variables,, so, try stuff till ya get what you need,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/09/13 at 14:25:07

Keith,
I had a Vista Cruise on the C50 and took it off. It did allow me to rest the right wrist (say that 10 times quickly) but I was just not able to get comfortable with it in simulated panic situations. I added a Cramp Buster for 10 bucks and so far I love it. It allows me to keep the throttle open with just the weight of my hand and allows me all four fingers to cover the front brake. I am leaving this weekend on a 1,500 mile trip and will know for sure when I return.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:26:11