Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner questions (Read 508 times)
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Cam chain tensioner questions
07/08/13 at 09:32:48

I take it from what I have read here that the problem with the stock cam chain tensioner is that it's design can allow the plunger to come out of its housing? This leaves loose parts bouncing around moving parts making a bad situation? Cam chain could actually come off making another bad situation?

What is the purpose of the cam chain tensioner? To keep tension on the chain as it stretches? When the plunger piece is out the recommended 19mm, what is the course of action? Replace cam chain?

1999 LS650 Dyna muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslavy
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Cam chain tensioner questions
Reply #1 - 07/08/13 at 09:36:13

Read this, then refine your question based on what you know now.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1176999168

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/08/13 at 11:45:33

Toroso wrote on 07/08/13 at 09:32:48:
I take it from what I have read here that the problem with the stock cam chain tensioner is that it's design can allow the plunger to come out of its housing? This leaves loose parts bouncing around moving parts making a bad situation? Cam chain could actually come off making another bad situation?

What is the purpose of the cam chain tensioner? To keep tension on the chain as it stretches? When the plunger piece is out the recommended 19mm, what is the course of action? Replace cam chain?

This leaves loose parts bouncing around moving parts making a bad situation?

catastrophic engine destruction is a closer definition to what could, & usually does, happen.
not to mention the hazard it creates for the rider should that happen in traffic in a good sweeping curve..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #3 - 07/08/13 at 11:52:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/08/13 at 11:45:33:
Toroso wrote on 07/08/13 at 09:32:48:

This leaves loose parts bouncing around moving parts making a bad situation?

catastrophic engine destruction is a closer definition to what could, & usually does, happen.
not to mention the hazard it creates for the rider should that happen in traffic in a good sweeping curve..

A keeper prevents the plunger from exiting the housing.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #4 - 07/08/13 at 12:15:40

Dane Allen wrote on 07/08/13 at 11:52:27:

Since when?? the major design flaw in the Savage/S40 cam chain tensioner is there is no "keeper" to keep it together once it exceeds the 21mm max extention. Which is why its so essential to check the tensioner at 10K miles and ever so often afterwards and either change the tensioner for a Verslavy tensioner or replace your cam chain and followers.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #5 - 07/08/13 at 12:28:49

Versalagen1 (moderator on here) sells a "verslavy" which is an aftermarket part that he designed and builds. It has a stop/stopper that prevents the plunger being able to wiggle out of the housing and destroy your engine.
I don't know about you but I thought it was good insurance and took me 45mins to fit.

photo courtesy of mpescatori - hope that's cool. Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/08/13 at 12:58:57

clearush wrote on 07/08/13 at 12:15:40:

Since when?? the major design flaw in the Savage/S40 cam chain tensioner is there is no "keeper" to keep it together once it exceeds the 21mm max extention. Which is why its so essential to check the tensioner at 10K miles and ever so often afterwards and either change the tensioner for a Verslavy tensioner or replace your cam chain and followers.

Dane failed to say it, but he meant the verslavy has a keeper... and he has one   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #7 - 07/08/13 at 13:21:12

strang wrote on 07/08/13 at 12:28:49:
Versalagen1 (moderator on here) sells a "verslavy" which is an aftermarket part that he designed and builds. It has a stop/stopper that prevents the plunger being able to wiggle out of the housing and destroy your engine.
I don't know about you but I thought it was good insurance and took me 45mins to fit.

It sounds like good insurance to me. I'll be getting one.

I'm going to do an oil change as soon as I can and want to check the current situation then. I was browsing around looking for a gasket and came up with a set for whole motor, which I don't want. And an OEM for like $26!!! Anyone have a clutch cover gasket part number?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/08/13 at 13:35:27

You can go to any online supplier and access the parts diagrams and get price and part numbers.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432114&catego...

Some of the cheaper gaskets on eBay or online are not factory ones and don't have the sealant applied to the gasket where the pressurized oil passages take oil up to the cylinder head.

NOTE:  Don't ask me why there are 2 different part numbers listed for the cover gasket......I don't know the difference.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #9 - 07/08/13 at 14:01:11

verslagen1 wrote on 07/08/13 at 12:58:57:
clearush wrote on 07/08/13 at 12:15:40:

Dane failed to say it, but he meant the verslavy has a keeper... and he has one   Cool

Yes and it is now spelled correctly in my tagline  Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Toroso

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, TN
Reply #10 - 07/08/13 at 14:53:49

Since my bike is approaching 20K miles. Would it be a good idea to replace the cam chain when I put the new tensioner on? Is that a job a noob could handle?

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #11 - 07/08/13 at 14:57:18

Toroso wrote on 07/08/13 at 14:53:49:
Since my bike is approaching 20K miles. Would it be a good idea to replace the cam chain when I put the new tensioner on? Is that a job a noob could handle?

As a fellow noob my vote is no Grin  I think you should measure the slack in the chain first and see how the tensioner fits, but that is just me. I swapped mine at 1,400 miles as a case of cheap insurance.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/08/13 at 15:00:23

Toroso wrote on 07/08/13 at 14:53:49:

If you're replacing the stock tensioner (why?) you need a new chain instead.
If you're putting in a verslavy, then the chain will be ok for another 20k miles.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/08/13 at 15:06:12

man, if you need a tensioner, get one from versy, dont be puttin a stock unit in there,, conjure up in your mind that sign posted , with the skull & bones, by some water in a desert, surrounded by bones,, the sign says

youll be Sorry!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 07/08/13 at 15:27:54

Ah, c'mon JOG, we haven't had a catastrophic engine failure from a poorly designed factory engineered part in so long...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:32:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.