Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner questions (Read 508 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Cam chain tensioner questions
Reply #30 - 07/09/13 at 11:38:03

As is, it needs to have contact with the hot oil to swell the edges and do its job correctly.

When you take the cover off, you'll see where the edges have gotten thicker. That's how/why paper gaskets work. But only on pretty much perfect surfaces, be very careful not to nick, gouge or chip the machined surface while removing the old gasket. If the old gasket feels like it is glued on, go buy some gasket remover and liberally saturate/soak the stuck bits. Can save you a lot of money in the end.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #31 - 07/15/13 at 15:59:04

Toroso wrote on 07/09/13 at 06:13:03:
I'm getting things together to do the Verslavy. Can someone tell me if this is the correct clutch cover gasket number? 11482-24B11

Tks

I needed to order a gasket today and found two different numbers. The one above for "Model K5/K6" and 11482-24B20 for "Model K7/K8/K9"  How the heck do I know which one I have?  Looked all over. It's a 2005 S40. I'm a noob, so that's my excuse.  Grin

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #32 - 07/15/13 at 16:26:31

An 05 model is a K5.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
thecoolerking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kansas
Reply #33 - 07/15/13 at 16:30:23

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess that was too easy. I think I'll go with the Permatex gauge though, but good to know.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. Modifications include: Carb Jet-Kit with 52.5 Pilot, 150 Main Jet and reduced needle spacer. Idle screw out 3 turns. Dyna muffler.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #34 - 07/15/13 at 20:26:05

Be very sparing with the Permatex if you are going that route. Pea sized dabs on your finger tip, spread it level on the machined surface. You want to almost see through it, so not much thicker than standard weight typing paper.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
locomotiveman1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota USA
Reply #35 - 07/16/13 at 20:34:58

Has anyone known of a similar Cam Chain Tensioner in an engine other than our Single-cylinder iteration? ...and if so, what's the story there? And if not, then we may have a unique critter in all the world that's merely a bad OEM part. Reason I ask it thusly..as a newbie to the issue.. is this: It appears limited to the poor design/application of a spring-loaded piston in a too short barrel..all 'spec'd wrong for the task assigned it. If Verslagy's Mod works; and Oldfeller's observations on the Chain's expected Engineered Life, Thermal Cycling, Oil change interval etc are unbiased and correct, then it narrows the issue down immensely for a newbie like me to this: It's a poorly designed part that needs to be improved to keep the engine thumpin'. Reading the entire thread's tutorial has been 'revealing', thanks guys. My biggest problem now? Getting a Verslagy Mod. ASAP. Locomotiveman1

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 07/16/13 at 21:59:22

If I was keeping mine Id mod the tensioner. Yes, do the whole Verslagen mod, extra hole and the Keeper pin & slot. But, Id get rid of some of the teeth on the ratchet setion, or, lay it on the bench & study a while,, mite not be feasible,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 07/17/13 at 05:30:06

If you go to eBay and search "manual chain tensioner" you will get 1,460 choices.  Evidently a lot of the automatic chain tensioners can be problematic.  I am not sure if the tensioners fail - or if they don't control the tension well.  The adjustment can be made on the outside of the case on most bikes.  Even the DR650 engines have the tensioner up on the cylinder and not buried in the crankcase.

When my bike is apart this winter for painiting I am going to make a manual adjuster and see how long I can go with a manual adjustment.  I could use the stock tension spring to establish the tension, then use a threaded rod as the shaft with two jam nuts to lock the tension in place.  If the tension could go for a year without adjustment.....I am OK with that.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:27:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.