Send Topic Print
petcock question (Read 268 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: petcock question
Reply #15 - 07/08/13 at 16:26:52

JOG,WD, I don't think I'll ever get to the point where some of you are.I'm totally dreading attempting,the tensioner,or adjusting the valves. I change my oil,put on a fork brace,and new battlery.I just couldn't take messing up the  bike seriously.Right now it's running good ,and only has 5,500 mi on it.2005..This forum is awsome.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/08/13 at 17:16:11

by the time its your turn, youll have seen newbies come in & get walked thru things they didnt believe they could do. i was terrified. i bought new just so i could have a warranty. if i knew then what i do now, i woulda bought used. yes, ive always had tools, done loads of waterpumps, starters, body work, but never messed with a bike, or valves, or cam chains,, some carbs, but i didnt know hoot,,owning that bike has been really good for me. i know a lot more now. this site is an absolute gold mine

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #17 - 07/09/13 at 06:28:58

rl153 wrote on 07/08/13 at 16:26:52:
JOG,WD, I don't think I'll ever get to the point where some of you are.I'm totally dreading attempting,the tensioner,or adjusting the valves. I change my oil,put on a fork brace,and new battlery.I just couldn't take messing up the  bike seriously.Right now it's running good ,and only has 5,500 mi on it.2005..This forum is awsome.

Sweet!!!!

My 2003 has 5527 miles on it. It had 450 when I bought it last year. I am right there with you. Everything scares me... I paid to have the carb done (mostly so someone else would loosen the screws) and do the valve adjustment. But I plan on taking on more... bit by bit.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 07/09/13 at 08:50:28

rl153 wrote on 07/08/13 at 16:26:52:

I've been riding and wrenching on cruisers for 26 years this month. But, I've been dealing with street rods, race cars and antique trucks for 37 years... started as soon as I could sit on the fender and reach the distributor of a 1960 Dodge 1/2 ton with poly 318, and sit on the core support of a 1973 F100 and do the same.

Vehicles are just collections of metal, plastic rubber, paint and hardware. Noting to be worried about, parts can be fixed and/or replaced.

Can I do engine work, yes... Don't like to, but I can. Same with electrical, I can rewire an antique truck in my sleep, but the system on the Savage is beyond my comprehension level (where is the ignition plate, the points operated voltage regulator, the generator)...

Find yourself a cheap, basically hunk of scrap metal type cheap, CB or KZ twin that needs everything, and practice, practice practice... No resale value (just like a modified Savage), the aftermarket has lost interest (just like a Savage, except for CBs), have a neighborhood teen help and at the end of it, give him (or her) the bike.

That's how I learned, summer apprenticeship at the local Hell's Angels shop when I was 14/15. At the end of the summer, I had a 1936 EL chopper, completely rebuilt from the ground up. W/O that experience, I probably wouldn't still be riding (occasionally, since my current bikes are all heaps).

Something like this would be about perfect to learn with, the engine is locked up tighter than a nun's thighs...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #19 - 07/09/13 at 08:51:54

WD wrote on 07/07/13 at 09:37:21:
The little red vent cap off a new battery is the perfect size, ask your local bike shop to save them for you. I assume you are talking about the vacuum port on the carb casting?

Yes this is a good way to fit...but, unfortunately, these caps are not very durable..

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 07/09/13 at 08:53:15

5 years on average with the vent caps. Good enough.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #21 - 07/09/13 at 09:13:56

and I have served for only about a month... I found a cheap access.. cut a piece of the ventilation tube(battery) , set fire to a lighter one end and squeezed. to be quite decent cap, perfectly suitable size

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #22 - 07/09/13 at 09:25:24

I buy the vacuum caps at Autozone and they last about a year before they are too cracked to stop the air from getting sucked up. I have the same problem with my fuel line. I bought fuel injection hose this time. It may last longer. As far as the vacuum caps, I have spares now.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 07/09/13 at 10:13:31

Get silicone fuel line. Pep Boys should have it, unfortunately, that chain isn't in the Memphis area anymore, and the local tuner car shop sucks.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #24 - 07/09/13 at 12:12:23

I know this info is on the site somewhere ,but the stock fuel line is 5/16. It seems someone said the raptor petcock port is 1/4 ". Is that right? Mine seemed to fit pretty snug ,no leaks. Is the stock clamp sufficient? Also, when storing the bike for the winter with the raptor petcock, should you just add stable and forget it, or turn the petcock to off ,and let the motor run the gas  out ? Thanks!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #25 - 07/09/13 at 12:28:18

I bought 1/4" fuel line. That is what I removed when I got the bike. I assume that is the correct size. It was snug as heck going on the Raptor but fit well on the carb.

As far as storage, someone else will need to advise you on that. I ride in the winter. As long as the temps are in the double digits and there is no snow or ice on the ground, I am out at least once a week.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 07/10/13 at 01:28:16

I shoved a golf tee with superglue in mine. Still there!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › petcock question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.