E15 (Read 140 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
E15
07/06/13 at 06:15:11

This may not be news to a lot of you guys but I thought is was a pretty good summary.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ethano...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: E15
Reply #1 - 07/06/13 at 08:21:19

naturally, other places where there is ethanol in the gas its made from crop refuse, like stalks of crap, BUT not in th big smart, lobby driven, ohh so good usa,, noo sirreee,, HERE  we take food crop land & divert its use to growing a crop that isnt even the best choice for ethanol production, pay subsidies, & HOW  much fuel & water goes into making that gallon of ethanol & how much of it is taxpayer funded? i just, im sure its just me, but, somehow i suspect that this whole project makes a lot more dollars than sense,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 07/06/13 at 13:41:21

For what it's worth, the S40 handbook recommends a maximum of E10

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 07/06/13 at 14:49:47

I'm a firm believer in E0 if you can get it.  The engine was designed to run on gasoline.  

You lose mileage using E anything due to its lower energy content.  It's thinner than gas.  It also burns faster creating a little more engine heat not to mention the waste in producing the ethanol to start with.

According to Cornell University professor of agriculture David Pimentel, producing ethanol actually creates a net energy loss. According to his calculations, producing corn and processing it into 1 gallon (3.7 liters) of ethanol requires 131,000 BTUs of energy; but 1 gallon of ethanol contains only 77,000 BTUs [source: Health and Energy]

Corn, as well as ethanol fuel production are federally subsidised.
Using corn as a fuel drives up food prices.  UN has asked US to stop using corn for ethanol because of world food situation.

You know alcohol attracts water. (rusty tank problems. Stabilizers fix this) Alcohol dissolves plastics and rubbers. (sooner replacement of fuel lines, rubber gaskets and seals. No stabilizer stops this)

All that said, E10 shouild be fine.  I run E10 about half the time. The engine sounds different when I do.  I wouldn't go E15.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/06/13 at 15:52:12

I wouldn't go E15.

you will if they SAY you will

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 07/06/13 at 22:18:16

Once again

securedownload_002.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 07/07/13 at 10:15:39

Check this.  Florida's legislature just approved a bill to repeal their blended fuel law.  Could have done better and outlawed blended fuel but it's a start.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-05-13/news/fl-ethanol-bill-repeal-dv-20...

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 07/07/13 at 10:53:40

If someone wants to sell - or buy - ethanol "enriched" fuel, they should be able to do so. But I think the pump should be labelled with what is actually being dispensed, not a generic label like "May contain up to 10% ethanol." I also think the time has come to end Federal or State subsidies for ethanol used in fuel. It has been around for at least thirty years, and if it cannot support itself by now it should be allowed to fail on its own merits.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/07/13 at 11:25:18

Charon wrote on 07/07/13 at 10:53:40:
If someone wants to sell - or buy - ethanol "enriched" fuel, they should be able to do so. But I think the pump should be labelled with what is actually being dispensed, not a generic label like "May contain up to 10% ethanol." I also think the time has come to end Federal or State subsidies for ethanol used in fuel. It has been around for at least thirty years, and if it cannot support itself by now it should be allowed to fail on its own merits.

I also think the time has come to end Federal or State subsidies for ethanol used in fuel. It has been around for at least thirty years, and if it cannot support itself by now it should be allowed to fail on its own merits.

jog, suffering from exactly zero energy level, still manages a short but vigorous dance in support.
otta be " straight gas" & E gas pumps, side by side,, let the market decide.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 07/07/13 at 11:39:10

Quote:
jog, suffering from exactly zero energy level, still manages a short but vigorous dance in support.
otta be " straight gas" & E gas pumps, side by side,, let the market decide.

Matter of fact, here in Nebraska most stations DO have straight gasoline and E-10 side by side. The E-10 typically is labeled 89 octane; the straight gas 87 octane. The straight gas sells for about ten cents more per gallon, probably because of subsidies at some level. Simply because of the price differential the E-10 outsells straight gas.

Bear in mind Nebraska grows a LOT of corn and has quite a few ethanol plants. Also bear in mind some of those plants have closed because the economics of high corn prices make it difficult to realize a profit, unless the plant can sell the residue of ethanol production as cattle feed and also sell corn oil. Even with subsidies it seems the economics of ethanol production might be "iffy."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/07/13 at 11:51:47

About 2008-09 - I don't remember exactly- a corn ethanol plant was built in Medina ,NY a farming community about thirty miles west of where I live. Massive government subsidies and tax incentives. Corn growers in the area love it. Gives them a market for a lot of their production with very low transportation costs. Created some jobs -between 50 and 100 I think - in a community where they were badly needed.

I'm not a fan of ehanol based fuel, for most of the reasons that have alread been discussed.,  I'm also convinced that this country could produce all the petroleum based fuel we need if we wanted to. New York alone has huge shale oil deposits that will never be exploited because of the environmental politics in this state.

Even if it dosen't make economic sense except to a fairy small group of
people I think this particular corn fuel operation is here to stay.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 07/07/13 at 12:37:14

I don't recall ever seeing a gas pump around here that doesn't have the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" sticker on it so I did a web search for stations in Rochester that sell pure gas. Found four, but two of them are marinas. The other two supposedly still sell 91 octane non ethanol fuel for 4.29 a gallon. At least they did about a year ago - that's how old the most recent updates are.

One of them isn't to far from home so next time I'm in the vicinity I'll swing in and see for myself. I'm actually kinda suprised I found any.
Can't buy decent paint, mosquito repellant(no more than 25%DEET allowed) or lead wheel weights here any more. Silly of me to think I might actually be able to buy real gasoline. Wink

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #12 - 07/07/13 at 19:35:31

Ethanol is all about politics.  I was hoping some of the states a few years back pushing to have caucuses before Iowa would help ethanol subsides dry up.

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:23:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › E15

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.