oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Harley question
Reply #15 - 07/05/13 at 12:07:10

Quote:
I love flat track racing (as a spectator) I used to go to Louisville downs KY to watch the camel pro series every year. They only had a half mile track but it was exciting. Its a shame they don't race motorcycles at Louisville downs any more.

I used to go to Syracuse every summer when they raced there(mile).
Same thing. Stopped racing there quite a few years ago. Last time I was there Kenny Roberts - I'm shown' my age here- Smiley took a few practice laps on a bike with the Yamaha roadrace engine of the time in it. Three cylinder two stroke. It was ungodly fast but he couldn't control it in the corners. Parked it and rode a Harley in the race. He won a race later that year on the Yamaha; I think at Indy, and the AMA promptly banned it. I heard that a few years ago he got it out and did a few demo laps on it at one of the nationals. Might have been Indy but I'm not sure. He was about 50-55 at the time. Turned in a couple of pretty fast laps dispite not having been on a mile track for years.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 07/05/13 at 12:56:34

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 07/05/13 at 13:12:15

Apache,

Thanks for finding that.
Roberts is totally a class act. One of my heros.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/05/13 at 13:27:12

I have no problem with the manufacturer or dealers of Harleys.....they got a market and brand recognition and use it to their benefit.

I have no problem with the bikes.  They do what they do very well.

I would love to own one for a while - but it would be hard to choose one (and pay for one).  They have a lot of options that look great.
(UPDATE........I would buy an XR750!)

I have no problem with guys that ride Harleys and understand that there are other bikes and other riders on the road.  I have a friend with a big Harley and he will ride 600 miles in a day and does not think it is anything special.  He rides with other riders on other brands, helps his neighbor with his Hayabusa drag bike.....and thinks my Savage is cool.

I do have a problem with the riders that believe a Harley is the only bike worth owning.  The ones that just bought a bike last year, and suddenly they are the coolest thing on the road.  The ones that rip off the muffers and put on straight pipes!  The ones that leave their blinker on for 5 miles (Wait......I do that!).  

« Last Edit: 07/05/13 at 14:52:08 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #19 - 07/05/13 at 13:45:51

oldNslow wrote on 07/05/13 at 12:07:10:
Quote:
I love flat track racing (as a spectator) I used to go to Louisville downs KY to watch the camel pro series every year. They only had a half mile track but it was exciting. Its a shame they don't race motorcycles at Louisville downs any more.

I used to go to Syracuse every summer when they raced there(mile).
Same thing. Stopped racing there quite a few years ago. Last time I was there Kenny Roberts - I'm shown' my age here- Smiley took a few practice laps on a bike with the Yamaha roadrace engine of the time in it. Three cylinder two stroke. It was ungodly fast but he couldn't control it in the corners. Parked it and rode a Harley in the race. He won a race later that year on the Yamaha; I think at Indy, and the AMA promptly banned it. I heard that a few years ago he got it out and did a few demo laps on it at one of the nationals. Might have been Indy but I'm not sure. He was about 50-55 at the time. Turned in a couple of pretty fast laps dispite not having been on a mile track for years.

My BIL used to race  enduro, flat track and speedway in the '70s. He had a Ducatti 250 speedway bike, and a Harley 360 flat track.
He usually placed in the top 3 when he raced.
He lost it in a corner on the Harley and went into a wall, causing lifelong damage to his back and left shoulder. He checked himself out of the hospital after 2 days,(probably causing the lifelong issues), fixed the bike and raced the next weekend. He won, and never (legally) raced anything again.
He can't even ride a bike anymore.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 07/05/13 at 16:36:45

I think serowbot hit the nail on the head. Over here (aus) so many Harleys are owned by new riders who just buy into an image and straight away get the "attitude" and even owning a Harley T shirt seems to make people feel qualified to run down all the other brands. As bikes they're ok, nothing special but the Hype is overrated. Harleys in Oz are way overpriced, too. Lots of "real" riders are importing low mileage current models at around half the price of  a newie from the showroom. I like rounding up the big twins in the hills on my little DR250. V-Rods are cool, IMO.
Buying a lifestyle is just a bit lame.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #21 - 07/05/13 at 19:50:22

I am a former Savage owner.  I put over 50,000 miles on the machine below.  I loved it, was aware of all its strengths, and weaknesses, and was sad when it finally died.

Currently, I ride the 2011 HD 883 Extra Low pictured below.  I have a little over 10,000 miles on it so far, including a 2600 mile trip that I just made through California.

I am a little taken aback at the things I read about the 883 on this site.  They certainly do not have any foundation in my own riding experience. I have always thought that there were a lot of similarities between the Savage and the 883.  In thinking about the bike, I was wondering what not to like:

Alloy wheels
Tubeless tires (Radials standard)
Drilled front brake rotor
Dual piston front brake caliper
Self canceling turn signals
Hazard signals
Throttle lock screw
Electronic Speedo with 2 trip meters and clock
Screw on oil filter
Hydraulic lifters
Fuel Injection
Oil dip stick
Belt drive
Seat height unladen  26.8"
Seat height laden 25.5"
Gas tank capacity 4.5 gal
Engine Torque 55 foot pounds
2013 Price $8099

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #22 - 07/05/13 at 22:17:53

apache snow-FSO wrote on 07/05/13 at 11:11:43:

They had speedway racing close to where I live in the 70s-80s. I always liked that as well.

I miss the "Downs" too. I only live an hour away and loved that race party!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 07/06/13 at 00:33:15

Its all in the type of folks you ride with I think.... I see it on all sides... folks just like what they like. I've ridden quite a few different makes and models (from 73' up) and each has there pro's and con's.
Its what I want or like that makes a difference to me, what do I care what joe blo says about what I ride? I ride....thats all that matters to me.
Does make you wonder why folks think they way they do...I guess its just the competitiveness in each of us.
Cool
My signiture tells ya what my current garage is holding....and it will change soon...the harley and honda are going...sigh.... change is good no?....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 07/06/13 at 06:59:51

gerald.hughes wrote:

Quote:
I am a little taken aback at the things I read about the 883 on this site.  They certainly do not have any foundation in my own riding experience. I have always thought that there were a lot of similarities between the Savage and the 883.  In thinking about the bike, I was wondering what not to like:

I agree. One of the reasons I was attracted to the Savage was how much it reminded me of the Sportster that I just couldn't afford. For two thousand bucks my 2006 S40 was as close as I could could get.

That's a really nice looking bike BTW.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 07/06/13 at 08:31:06

Hay Generalhuges

Tell me about that seat.   That looks like my "Other" bike (07) but I have a two-up seat (SunDowner).   Can you add a rear seat to it ?   If so do the seat fasten together or is the back seat  a clip and pin type ?

The sundowner is "Hard as a rock" and the rear is way-to-narrow .

I think I'll just keep them both till  the Sportster  gets  "too" heavy for me , if it last that long .  

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #26 - 07/06/13 at 08:44:19

The seat was a Corbin.  Firm, but very comfortable after the first 500-1000 miles of break-in.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #27 - 07/06/13 at 09:23:19

oldNslow wrote on 07/06/13 at 06:59:51:
gerald.hughes wrote:

Quote:

I agree. One of the reasons I was attracted to the Savage was how much it reminded me of the Sportster that I just couldn't afford. For two thousand bucks my 2006 S40 was as close as I could could get.

That's a really nice looking bike BTW.

yep my next bike will be either a 883 sportster or triumph ( if I can find one)

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #28 - 07/07/13 at 17:33:06

The only Harly I would buy is a Cross Bones.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #29 - 07/07/13 at 19:56:59

It was discontinued for a reason... horrible ride. Tolerable looks but a really, really poor ride quality.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:29:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Harley question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.