Send Topic Print
Savage won't crank (Read 71 times)
reb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage won't crank
07/05/13 at 03:18:34

Hello everyone, I am new here. I used search but couldn't find any relevant information. I have a Suzuki Savage and it won't crank. When I press the starter button I hear a few "clicks" coming from a small black plastic box located under the tank. Some sort of relay but it doesn't have anything written on it. I installed a new battery and a new starter relay because that's what I thought would solve the problem, but I was wrong. The starter itself is also good. The rest of the electronics work like the lights and horn.

By the way, I have converted the old magnet decompression into a manual decompression. Could this be the problem? And I don't have a kickstand switch at all.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Savage won't crank
Reply #1 - 07/05/13 at 04:21:15

Step #1  fully charge your battery.  Your voltage should never drop below 11.0 volts when cranking.   If your battery won't give you this, replace it, it is bad.

Your electronic black box will not throw a spark if you drop below 11.0 volts when cranking -- but the bike will still turn over.

This little quirk has frustrated the shite out of a lot of people over the years.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/05/13 at 07:23:34

yep,, that battery will have enough to spin 'er on over, anyone with any experience around cars & such would say " yep,, battery's hot enough to do that,, its hot enough to fire up",, & ohhh boy,, it just wont fire..
so, get the battery out, check water, haul it to a shop, get it tested, you need a baseline, you need to know if its in class a shape or slightly shabby, healthwise,, then add a pigtail for plugging in a float charger as you go back together.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 07/05/13 at 07:48:47

Right above the carb at the tail of the tank? If so, unplug the harness and look for green (corrosion), if you find green in the plug, you won't get it to do anything until the connection is spotless. That decompression control relay is not weatherproof, and the corrosion shorts out the ignition system...

I bypassed mine temporarily with a tractor push button. About 6 years ago now...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/05/13 at 16:06:58

I bypassed mine temporarily with a tractor push button. About 6 years ago now.

post WWII they passed a temporary telephone tax.. no one wrote in what exactly the definition of temporary was,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:34:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage won't crank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.