Send Topic Print
won't go over 60 mph (Read 121 times)
chefwoje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

won't go over 60 mph
07/04/13 at 17:15:20

I have a 99 savage I just bought with 10,000 miles I can only get it to go over 60 mph if I'm going down a large hill it accelerates quickly to 60 then just stops acelerating I'm in 5th and full open throttle any one know what's up/

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: won't go over 60 mph
Reply #1 - 07/04/13 at 18:35:10

what work has been done on the bike?

any top end work in particular?

WWW   IP Logged
chefwoje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/04/13 at 20:16:49

Nothing that I know of all stock to my knowledge i do need a new fuel air mixture screw it was broken off when I bought it I suppose a jet kit could have been done maybe I should pull the carb and go through it

IP Logged
chefwoje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/04/13 at 20:20:02

Rpms are stable bike rides well just won't go any faster when I know it should do at least 80-85

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/04/13 at 20:27:20

I'd go thru the carb 1st, new air filter.

have you changed the oil?  filter?
if you haven't, check it over, you might run it thru a filter and look for metal.

if you still haven't found anything, pull the clutch cover and inspect the chain.  are you hearing any odd noises?

WWW   IP Logged
chefwoje
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/04/13 at 20:38:04

No odd noises have to release the clutch sometimes to get it to engage while down shifting through multiple gears but I know that can be common on all bikes

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/05/13 at 04:09:56

This is the sort of thing that newbies don't know.

The Savage's rear brake can make the entire bike run badly -- by dragging slightly at speed.

The spring you see on the rear break lever is SUPPOSED to disengage the brakes completely, but it sure doesn't do that on all bikes all the time.

It needs to be seriously recoiled & rebent the first time you take the brakes apart (wait until then so you can UNDERSTAND what you are doing as that is one tough mother of a spring).

Until then, turn the nut thingie on the brake cable shaft out at least 5-6 turns and give the bike a test ride to see if anything changes.   This is the nut & shaft that sticks out of the brake lever way back at the brake drum.

If high speed performance improves, you got the draggy rear brake thing going on and you need to fix it.

Also check your right foot position when you are all relaxed going down the road -- I found my foot was partially resting on the petal some of the time.  To fix this I moved the up position using the stop nuts and readjusted everything to the new position.

Still had the issue sporadically until I recoiled the back lever spring so it did its job in a more positive fashion.

Quick check, if your coil spring moves "loosely" back at the lever when you grab on to it then it isn't doing its job properly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 07/05/13 at 04:36:29

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/05/13 at 04:09:56:

This is the sort of thing that newbies don't know.

The Savage's rear brake can make the entire bike run badly -- by dragging slightly at speed.
The spring you see on the rear break lever is SUPPOSED to disengage the brakes completely, but it sure doesn't do that on all bikes all the time.
It needs to be seriously recoiled & rebent the first time you take the brakes apart (wait until then so you can UNDERSTAND what you are doing as that is one tough mother of a spring).
Until then, turn the nut thingie on the brake cable shaft out at least 5-6 turns and give the bike a test ride to see if anything changes.   This is the nut & shaft that sticks out of the brake lever way back at the brake drum.
If high speed performance improves, you got the draggy rear brake thing going on and you need to fix it.
Also check your right foot position when you are all relaxed going down the road -- I found my foot was partially resting on the petal some of the time.  To fix this I moved the up position using the stop nuts and readjusted everything to the new position.
Still had the issue sporadically until I recoiled the back lever spring so it did its job in a more positive fashion.
Quick check, if your coil spring moves "loosely" back at the lever when you grab on to it then it isn't doing its job properly.

To check quickly for a draggy brake, take the bike out for a short ride.  
-- Go 60mph for half a minute, pull over and stop.  
-- Feel the rear wheel hub and/or brake backing plate.  
-- If it is really warm, you have a draggy brake.  
-- If you have a draggy brake, it might even be too hot to touch.

During normal riding, that assembly should be only a little warmer than the outside air temp.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › won't go over 60 mph

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.