Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Air cooled savage and getting hot from long idling (Read 146 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Air cooled savage and getting hot from long idling
07/04/13 at 11:28:29

First of all, Happy July 4th!

My question has to do with the Savage air cooled engine and long idling periods (For example, long waits in a traffic jam.).  Can an air cooled engine get hot enough to cause damage to the engine?  

I was in a traffic jam with constant stopping, then slowly moving forward … for about 45 minutes.  Luckily, I had a water cooled bike that didn’t get over heated.  Would this have hurt the air cooled Savage engine?  If so, would there be a way to stop any damage?

Open to your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,
Ron G

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Air cooled savage and getting hot from long id
Reply #1 - 07/04/13 at 11:35:03

45 minutes idling in heat?... yes,... that ain't good...
It would probably overheat and die in about 15 or 20min... might not have permanent damage, unless you forced it to restart, and did it again without letting it cool off first...
If the traffic is that bad,.. just pull over and walk it...
... or shut it off and dog paddle....
I wouldn't let my water-cooled car idle for that long...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 07/04/13 at 13:06:20

I tend to agree with Sero on that one.  You might get some damage.  The temp does seem to go up fast when you stop. Although, I believe a properly designed air-cooled engine should have enough cooling fin surface to idle all day without over heating in the hottest climates in which it will be run. Just like your water-cooled bike will survive just fine, air-cooled should too.

Anybody ever seen any info about how the factory tested idling heat dissipation, or anything like that?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 07/04/13 at 15:56:00

It didn't hurt mine, a couple of years ago when I rode it in a parade on a hot, windless day. Idle speed didn't change, clutch engagement point didn't change, pipe didn't blue. Remember, when the engine gets hot, the air around it gets hot too, and convects upward. When the hot air rises, cooler surrounding air replaces it so there is always at least a little bit of air movement. At idle it isn't generating a lot of heat, either, simply because it isn't burning very much fuel.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/06/13 at 12:09:05

Sounds like given a choice, letting it idle for a limited time is preferred.  Charon's experience in the parade would indicate that the engine is pretty robust when it comes to heating at idle.

Thanks for the responses.

Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air cooled savage and getting hot from long idling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.