Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this a decent HID headlight? (Read 191 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Is this a decent HID headlight?
07/02/13 at 20:19:54

I am planning to do the HID headlight conversion simply to provide better night light for driving and safety, though I really don't ride much at night. At ant rate, someone here referred me to a site many moons ago and I think it was this one:

http://www.motorcyclehidxenonlights.com/Suzuki-LS650-Savage-HID-Xenon-Lights/

Is this a fairly decent complete product kit for the price, and is 6000K as high as I want to go to avoid getting into the blue-ish 800k+ range?

Thanks folks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Is this a decent HID headlight?
Reply #1 - 07/03/13 at 17:50:28

Does this kit replace both the high and low beams?  If so, how does the bulb switch between high and low beam?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/03/13 at 17:57:03

Gyrobob brings up a great point.  Most HID's, at least in cars, do not have a dual filament.  If it does not then you will either have only high beams or low beams with no way to switch.  If you are like me where you have to have a safety inspection then it will cause you to fail.  Here in Utah the blue lights are illegal no matter what.  So make sure to check out your local laws.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/03/13 at 19:02:56

I  believe HID retrofits into a reflector housing are illegal. They are not DOT approved on the  federal level, so no differences between states. Huh

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/03/13 at 19:36:20

apache snow-FSO wrote on 07/03/13 at 19:02:56:
I  believe HID retrofits into a reflector housing are illegal. They are not DOT approved on the  federal level, so no differences between states. Huh

To be perfectly clear... all HID kits for our m/c are illegal.

The rules state that HID must be available from the factory for that model to be legal to upgrade.

plus... all of these kits are not DOT approved.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 07/04/13 at 00:46:49

AFAIK, the only LEGAL kits (HID) for any vehicle are those that have their own housing, will have a DOT approval noted somewhere, and usually will be in a projector, rather than a reflector.  If you just put an HID bulb into a reflector made for a halogen or plain bulb, you'll get a huge amount of glare, which is why they are illegal.

This is one of the reasons I went with a "train" light and a reduced wattage H4 bulb in the Double RYCA build.

If cost is not an issue, LED headlights are starting to appear.  DOT approved.  Low current draw.  Much more light than halogen.  Never wears out.  Here is one:  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/14/141/49672/ITEM/Kuryakyn-Phase-7-LED...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 07/04/13 at 09:24:19

We don't have inspections here in AL so I wouldn't be too worried about that , but you all provide some good points for consideration.  I wondered about the dual filament and this one didn't say that it did or didn't have both so my guess was that it didn't...which I don't like because I like being able to flash at folks when I need to (for safety reasons).  

I like what Gyrobob posted, but probably more than I need to spend.

On that note, what about one of those silverlight type halogen bulbs that are stock type but brighter white?  I'd be willing to splurge for a pair of those (I say pair because I would need to keep one in the bag for when the primary burns out since these don't have a long life span).  

Something kinda like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Boulevard-C90T-M109R-C109RT-M95-S40-Xenon-Supe...

You folks have any experience with these and can suggest a good brand worth fooling with?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 07/04/13 at 09:36:20

stewmills wrote on 07/04/13 at 09:24:19:
We don't have inspections here in AL so I wouldn't be too worried about that , but you all provide some good points for consideration.  I wondered about the dual filament and this one didn't say that it did or didn't have both so my guess was that it didn't...which I don't like because I like being able to flash at folks when I need to (for safety reasons).  

I like what Gyrobob posted, but probably more than I need to spend.

On that note, what about one of those silverlight type halogen bulbs that are stock type but brighter white?  I'd be willing to splurge for a pair of those (I say pair because I would need to keep one in the bag for when the primary burns out since these don't have a long life span).  

Something kinda like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Boulevard-C90T-M109R-C109RT-M95-S40-Xenon-Supe...

You folks have any experience with these and can suggest a good brand worth fooling with?

Keep in mind a 100 watt bulb is about 8 amps.  That is a heavy load on the "modest" Savage alternator.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 07/04/13 at 09:53:28

With all the other "illegal" modifications written about, such as narrowly-spaced rear turn signals, exhaust and intake modifications, and carburetor rejetting, I am surprised anyone even mentioned the legal aspects of headlight replacement.

I have noticed that many new cars seem to avoid the high-low beam issue by using separate headlights. On some, the low beams stay on all the time, with the high beams being turned on as an extra. Cars do generally have higher capacity alternators.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/04/13 at 10:15:30

The Sylvania Silverstars do have a reduced life, as do any bulb that burns hotter and brighter.....even if the wattage is the normal 55/60 watts.  They may have an acceptable life......you will only know by trying.  The stock headlights bulbs in my car will last 10 years or more, the Silverstars I put in my wife's car lasted about a year....20,000 miles for her.  If the same kind of life can be had in the Savage that is reasonable.  I just put a Silverstar in my bike and it was a bit brighter....but I don't have the stock headlight on my bike.

Seems we should be able to find some affordable headlight for the Savage that is better and mounts without too much trouble.

What diameter is the stock headlight?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/04/13 at 11:46:26

Charon wrote on 07/04/13 at 09:53:28:
With all the other "illegal" modifications written about, such as narrowly-spaced rear turn signals, exhaust and intake modifications, and carburetor rejetting, I am surprised anyone even mentioned the legal aspects of headlight replacement.

I have noticed that many new cars seem to avoid the high-low beam issue by using separate headlights. On some, the low beams stay on all the time, with the high beams being turned on as an extra. Cars do generally have higher capacity alternators.

The thing about looking at inspection issues, is headlamps are not something that people don't check.  It is usually the first thing every inspector including myself looks at.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 07/04/13 at 12:08:28

Charon wrote on 07/04/13 at 09:53:28:

Of all the things you mentioned, having too bright a head light is the only one that will get you a ticket here. Huh

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/04/13 at 18:45:08

For the H.I.D. Kits that state "Hi/Lo" they will have a functioning high beam, instead of a different filament that uses more power and burns brighter they have a visor that flips/moves up to let the entire projector fill with light. This is one of the aspects I found in researching H.I.D. projector conversions where you don't want to buy the cheapest kit you can find, the mechanical visor is typically one of the first things to fail on the cheap ones.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 07/04/13 at 19:19:11

ToesNose wrote on 07/04/13 at 18:45:08:
... you don't want to buy the cheapest kit you can find, the mechanical visor is typically one of the first things to fail on the cheap ones.

especially on motorcycles that vibrate

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #14 - 07/06/13 at 23:44:15

I bought a Kensun HID kit off Amazon. Yeah, one for a car. My reason for that was that'd I'd have spare parts down the line if needed (two lights and ballasts with a car kit).

Hacking the wiring down to one light is not hard.

My kit is a 35w kit. That saves me some power on my alternator over the stock halogen.

I also got a kit in the color temperature of 5000K. Most of them time, this color temperature is considered the most 'white' looking. I didn't want my light having that terrible HID Blue look.

The kit I am using is a Hi/Lo "Bi" model. Pretty much the bulb is attached to an electromagnet and when you switch to your high beam it pulls the entire bulb further back into the housing and that causes the light to focus differently through a little window. Something like that anyway.

I've been using it for well over a year with zero problems. And I mounted the ballast all exposed on the exterior of my Savage. Its pitted to heck, but still fires up every time no problem! =D

A side note on some of those LED lights before I forget: there are reports that the light is so focused down ahead of you, that your headlight essentially appears turned off when viewed from the side. If I'm driving around at night down the road, I want to make sure some guy merging at an intersection sees me! You can get an idea what I'm saying here: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/741065-truck-lite-phase-7-led-he... check out the side view shot. So just be careful!

Anyway, back to the HID related stuff...

I was not able to cram the ballast or voltage step up box into my stock headlight. The bulb and relay box was a pretty tight fit but I got them in there. Whatever kit you buy you may have better results stuffing.

Most recently (today actually) I switched out my headlight to a larger 7" one. This has made a dramatic difference in everything forward illumination wise.

For one, I was able to cram all the HID parts into the headlight where they are totally protected from the elements. And no more crap zip tied around my gas tank and forks! Yay!

For second, the focusing pattern is much better. So much more of my light gets to a useful place on the road.

For third, the HID's Hi/Lo function I found to be pretty useless on the stock headlamp. Whenever I had the headlight pointed so that the light made moderate sense on the low setting, the high setting wouldn't even touch the road. First run today however seems to have good results on low and high. Everything is just thrown a better direction. Still, only first run, so we'll see what I think in a few days. Looks like win though so far.

Lastly, when I made the move to the "Bi" HID and its magnet movement science junk, I got the 'bonus' of my actual light bulb bouncing around with the vibration of the engine. This is because when the bulb is not being pulled by the magnet, it is just kind'a hanging loose a little. Going down the road, I get the 'modulated' look at different RPMs. Safety feature? haha!  Grin Your brand of bulb may give you different results.

Bonus tip I saw elsewhere on this form! Tie your HID light's power source into a relay that is normally closed. Then tie the relay's signal wires into your decompression solenoid's power source. That way, when you start your motorcycle, the relay goes open and turns off your headlight. This will free up a bunch of amps that will help your starter turn over better! After your decompression solenoid is done with its business, the relay goes back to being closed and your headlight gets back to being bright. (I was able to stuff this extra relay into my 7" headlight bucket as well).

Hope some of this has been useful for ya!

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:18:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this a decent HID headlight?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.