Send Topic Print
tire pressures ? (Read 60 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
tire pressures ?
07/02/13 at 12:05:54

I'd like to know some members thoughts regarding tire pressure. For any tires - let's say the factory tread   the Clymer manual states(page 280)  28psi front / 28psi rear for solo riding    32psi front / 36psi rear for dual riding    considering that weights(I've known riders in the 280's and some in the 140's - literally twice the poundage) of individuals vary, do you adjust your tire pressure in relation to your own body weight ?   I happen to be one of those closer to the 280's than the 140's   also - this came to mind yesterday when I took a cruise in about 105 F temp -  do any of you alter psi in relation to outdoor temperatures ?

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Re: tire pressures ?
Reply #1 - 07/02/13 at 14:44:46

I would imagine that the recommended tire pressures are for two average adults weighing approx. 160lbs to 195lbs. With your weight I would bump up the tire pressure to about 30 psi cold front and rear and see how it feels on the road. Keep in mind that tires are the things on you bike that make contact with the road. To much psi will be less contact ( traction ) and also a much bouncier/ harsher  ride. As for temperatures I don't worry about it too much

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Re: tire pressures ?
Reply #2 - 07/02/13 at 18:37:32

When the temperature goes up 10 degrees F, the pressure goes up about one pound, and vice versa. So I'll do an extra pressure check if the temperature has gone up or down 20 degrees between when I last rode and when I'm going to ride again (which can happen in New England). But I don't try to ride with harder or softer tires when the temp goes up or down. Does anyone else do that?

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire pressures ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.