Send Topic Print
Counter steering Poll (Read 218 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Counter steering Poll
07/01/13 at 21:26:06

I've recently started riding with a group of older riders. My 06 Boulevard is my fourth bike. I haven't ridden in ten years, but I've never in my riding time counter steered. I become one with my faithful steed and lean into every curve and corner. The riders in my group maintain that counter-steering is the only way to ride. How many of you in this forum counter steer versus how many who ride like I do? I tried it on the long ride home yesterday with the group. We travelled about 400 miles in a twelve hour day. The counter steering not only felt awkward, but counter intuitive as well. Poll? Please weigh in on this for me.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Counter steering Poll
Reply #1 - 07/01/13 at 21:30:45

Ohh, man!  REally? Id Much prefer a good Ol Fashioned oil war

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 07/01/13 at 22:00:43

I'm not touching this one... took physics entirely too many years ago.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #3 - 07/01/13 at 22:17:45

I am a new rider. '03 savage is my first bike but I find myself doing both. I counter steer the light curves or to change lanes but lean in deep curves or tighter turns.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/01/13 at 22:36:09

This is really to opinionated for RSD.

Here's my opinion

counter steering is really just maintaining your balance.
you're going straight down the road, you tip towards the right, you turn to the right to bring the wheels back under you.  and vice versa when tipping to the left.

now here is where the egg gets before the cart...
to turn, you lean to the right and you turn to the right and you use those fine straight line balance skills to keep your a$$ off the pavement.  Balancing centrifugal force against gravity.

counter steering is turning left to lean you over faster for the right hand turn.
you probably do it already, just a lot slower and combined with body movement so you don't notice.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/01/13 at 23:53:06

You have always countersteered...  you just weren't aware of the method you were using to initiate it...
Fact is,... a bike absolutely will not turn without countersteering...
You have been initiating the countersteer, by leaning, and letting the bike fall into countersteer...
Realizing that this is happening can allow you to take more immediate action... bypassing the slow process of gravity overcoming inertia...
Turning can become much more positive, controlled, and quick...

When you lean,.. you are upsetting the balance of the bike... this (and you must think about this), will put you off the center of the tire,... and into the decreasing radius towards the edge of the tire... (imagine rolling a ball... but putting your hand slightly to the side instead of directly on top... and the ball rolls in a curve)...
This is why bikes lean into curves, and cars lean out...
As you lean.... and get onto the curve of the tire... the contact patch becomes wider on one side than the other... and this forces the fork to countersteer in the opposite direction... until the bike starts to fall left or right... (once the fall creates equilibrium... countersteer is over... and you adjust the bars to point in the direction of the turn...
The period of countersteer is almost imperceptible, unless you know to look for it... but, once you see it....  .. it is the speed at witch you can initiate a turn...

It's like being used to shooting without sights,..and suddenly having a 4x scope...
You don't really have to resist doing your natural lean... just being aware that you are leaning to initiate the counterbalance will give you more control... and eventually you will start to assist  lean with your arms...

You don't have to change what you are doing... just think about what you are doing...  you are countersteering with your body...

As an experiment,... (carefully)... try to lean into a turn,.. but consciously hold the bars straight,.. or even try to turn them ...   to initiate the turn...You will find it impossible...
This has been tested... by welding a fork solid, and having a rider try to lean a bike to turn it...   it can't turn...
... (oddly enough, a bike with fork that can only point straight or turn to the right,.. cannot turn right... I cannot even go straight, but it will go left....
...even if you don't want it to... Grin...

Basically,.. I'm saying, don't try to change how you ride... just try to study it...  see what is actually happening...
... and you'll realize,.. you already do it...
You just have a knowledge that can give you better control of it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 07/02/13 at 03:18:42

Agree with Serowbot, you have been counter steering for years. If you've come back after a ten year absence it takes a while to get used to it. After twenty seven years absence I was desperately looking at the front wheel mudguard/fender as I tried to turn, feeling sick and out of control. My instructor pointed out that I wasn't to look at the front wheel and to look where I was going. I was soon ok after that.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/02/13 at 04:12:35

When you learned to ride a bicycle.....you learned how to counter steer.  That is what all that bar twisting convulsive seizure looking flailing was all about....you were learning to put pressure on the bars to make the bike do what you wanted.  It took a bit to learn as it is counter-intuitive.  You put pressure on the left bar.....and the bike steers left.....WOH......that was weird!

As an adult the first time I heard that you steer left go go left I thought they were crazy....but when I tried it I found out they were right and I had been doing it all along.  If you push forward on the left bar the bike goes left...and when you pull on the left bar the bike stands up out of the left turn.  You don't really move the bars....as much as you just apply pressure.

There are only two tiypes of riders.  Those that know they countersteer, and those that countersteer and refuse to believe it.  A 100 pound rider is not gong to lean an 800 pound motorcycle around a curve.....it is countersteered!  You think all that high speed road racing turning is done by leaning.....fat chance.

Go try it carefully....then report back.  

« Last Edit: 07/02/13 at 06:18:00 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 07/02/13 at 04:31:20

I don't do either. I stop at the halfway point in a curve, get off my scooter, pull the rear end around, jump back on, and go...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/02/13 at 05:07:53

Greg wrote on 07/02/13 at 04:31:20:
I don't do either. I stop at the halfway point in a curve, get off my scooter, pull the rear end around, jump back on, and go...

LOL. Well done. Pictures?

Here is a test. Approaching a right hand sweeper, push on the left bar end, pull on the right bar end; therefore pointing the front tire to the right.

If the bike turns to the right, then know that God has endowed you with a special power to alter the physical laws of his universe. And if you have those powers, can I ask a favor and have you level the foundation of my house?

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 07/02/13 at 06:06:40

What Serowbot and Dave said. If you get a bike around a curve you counter steered whether you knew or not. there is no other way. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/02/13 at 06:16:48

Yippee if you be on two wheels ya be counter steering.
Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 07/02/13 at 06:38:44

Glad yall cleared that up...

I just ride... somehow the bike goes where I want it. It took me about 3 months to get more comfortable with making "deeper" leans. Even now, I have to work at staying focused on where  I am in my powerband. I want to be at higher rpms.. so when I lean down in and am going slow .. I can rev up quickly to right the bike. I have no clue what that means in terms of counter steer.

PS: I tend to ride at pretty low rpms... the savage lets me do this due to its wide a$$ power band... I LOVE IT.

The other problem I have with riding is a horrible habit of nearly locking my left arm. I don't realize I am doing it until my wrist and shoulder start hurting. It also makes for lousy control of the bike. Sit "down" relax the shoulders/arms, tuck in the knees and let the bike do the work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/02/13 at 10:48:23

youll KNOW you countersteer the day youre forced to make an emergency lane change. if the car is encroaching on you from the right, youll slam the bars toward the car, fall away from it, then steer the front wheel back under yourself, making the bike literally hop to the left.. i know this to be true, because i did it & had i not, i would have been , uhh, " merged with".. painfully.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #14 - 07/02/13 at 19:34:04

You have no choice but to counter steer. It's something you don't think about and it can be so subtle you don't realize you do it, but you do.

All the pros, here and elsewhere, confirm thins.  I have played with the concept my self, on no traffic roads. There was no way I could initiate a turn without counter steering.  Shocked

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:26:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Counter steering Poll

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.