Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
H.I.D. projector conversion (Read 336 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
H.I.D. projector conversion
06/30/13 at 07:50:46

So I didn't care for the light given off from the stock headlight being that I live in a semi-rural area with no street lights in most areas and not a whole lot of ambient light, I replaced it with a deeper metal bucket from Demon's Cycles last fall expecting to eventually convert to H.I.D., well I finally had the time to do it  Cheesy

I purchased a 3" kit since I had a larger bucket with a white halo ring, I got it for $65.99 from mtfansclub on EBAY.  I wanted to do a full projector conversion instead of just putting an HID bulb in the H4 socket because that is what causes that annoying blinding bright light  Undecided  I opted for 4300K brightness after researching many sources, the most common is the 5k/6k range but with a projector housing the mid 4k range actually gives more light and penetrates farther, it's just not as brilliant of a white light.

The Kit

First thing I did was separate a sealed beam and measure the opening needed for the HID projector housing, then I cut a smaller opening along with cuts at a 90 degree and peeled them back.

I then lined up the housing with the headlight lens on for depth clearance and drilled holes and tapped them for mounting with screws. And reassembled the entire projector housing.

The wiring was the pain in the butt!!!!  Even with a deeper bucket it was tough getting everything to fit just right, I also had to enlarge the hole in the bucket for all the wiring to make it in. As for the wiring in of itself wasn't too bad, there is a lead that must be fed directly to the battery with it's own inline fuse, a plug that directly plugs into the H4 plug (I did away with this and hard wired directly), a separate +&- for the halo which I hardwired into the H4 wires to work with the low beams, and an additional ground which I also hard wired into the H4 wires. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the bucket for mounting the ballast and cut some rubber for where the corners of it make contact with the bucket to eliminate possible vibration. The ballast converter box got 3m outdoor strength tapped to the inside of the bucket, and the wiring harness control box is mounted under the tank since it has the wire that leads to the battery.

My hornet's nest LOL

A good picture I found of an HID projector kit laid out and labeled

All done and put together, hopefully I'll have time tonight to get her outside and get some pics to put up before and after showing the lighting difference.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: 09/27/14 at 13:51:59 by ToesNose »  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: H.I.D. projector conversion
Reply #1 - 06/30/13 at 15:56:16

I like it. Wink
Ill be interested to see what difference it make at night.

IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/30/13 at 21:31:05

those kits don't last, used them for a bit but got tired of having one headlight out (in my car). What really kills them is voltage spikes, so if the light powers ON with the key and then goes out when your crank (or looses voltage due to the starter draw) it will die fast.

Its a cool looking mod but buy a few spare bulbs/ballasts and keep them handy Smiley

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #3 - 06/30/13 at 21:58:05

nick3501 wrote on 06/30/13 at 21:31:05:
those kits don't last, used them for a bit but got tired of having one headlight out (in my car). What really kills them is voltage spikes, so if the light powers ON with the key and then goes out when your crank (or looses voltage due to the starter draw) it will die fast.

Its a cool looking mod but buy a few spare bulbs/ballasts and keep them handy Smiley

Good feedback cheers.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/30/13 at 22:44:52

nick3501 wrote on 06/30/13 at 21:31:05:

Yep, that's what I've got.  Since the high beam is halogen, I try to remember to hit the high beam when I shut off.

Daily rider, and I've had it for a couple of years.  Only problem I've had is the low beam shutter broke off.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/01/13 at 04:02:45

Thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll add a headlight on/off switch to the bucket then.  Well of course it poured all night so no test with after comparison pics   Huh

Also I did go for an A/C ballast which is supposed to help with the flicker problem, it's rated for 3000 hours compared to most DC ballasts which are rated for 1000 hours.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/01/13 at 18:38:03

No rain tonight so I got to take the after pic, HOLY MOLY it's insane how much brighter the H.I.D. projector is!   Shocked    

H4 on the left, H.I.D. on the right

« Last Edit: 09/27/14 at 13:53:04 by ToesNose »  

IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #7 - 07/01/13 at 19:54:00

Well, that explains that bright glow in the sky south of here... And I just thought someone was signalling for Batman...

Nice job!

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #8 - 07/01/13 at 22:28:48

and I have two questions: 1) I think(or it is) a new set with a xenon lamp is slightly larger than the housing factory headlights? 2) as for such an upgrade looks police? we have in Russia is forbidden to use such modz.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/02/13 at 04:51:35

Yea Wambr the 3" kit I used is too big for the factory bucket, but there are different sized kits that will work. The vendor I bought mine from has a 2 1/2" projector that is only 3" deep into the bucket.

@Dave- I'm glad you got my signal, don't worry your true identity is safe with me.  Wink

If anyone is considering doing an H.I.D. projector conversion there are a few things I would take into consideration first.

*Make sure that the depth is given to verify if it will definitely fit your bucket first, measure twice.

*Research what and whom you are going to buy it from, yes I bought from an EBAY vendor but I found no less then 6 reviews of the exact product bought from him on other forums and blogs. Only one of the six had an issue new out of the box and the vendor shipped a replacement bulb right out. 2 of the forum reviews were around 6 months after with no issues at all.

*Make sure your kit comes with an A/C ballast, of all the research I did this was a very important detail, the kits with D/C ballasts have far more problems.

*Realize that it isn't just replacing a bulb and that there isn't a "direct fit" kit for the LS650.

*Research the type/color of light you want. I went with the lowest brightness 4300K and it's insanely bright   Shocked

*Check your local laws regarding accessory lighting colors, I was tempted to get a blue halo ring since all my instrument lighting is blue, but it's illegal here in N.C. and I felt no need to try to get LEO's attention.  Also the devil's eyes look way cool, but unless you are running without the headlight on you don't see it and well why would you want to run without your headlight on......

*I did run across drop in projector housings for 5 1/2" buckets for anyone leery of not wanting to cut up a headlight insert and mod it, but I didn't feel it was worth the money since I knew I could hack the old one up LOL   Grin

IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/02/13 at 19:57:08

just for reference: 2700-3000K is usually yellow (people buy them for fog lights)  4100K is white, and it usually the brightest of them all. 6000K gets into the blue color, by the time you hit 10,000k your almost purple, and blue light sucks at night (esp. when rainy)

there are dual HID kits for high/low that aren't halogen based. Basically a magnetic pulse moves the light arc forward/backward giving a farther beam down the road. I used one of these kits in my car but I didn't do the projector retrofit, just a plug and play kit. It was too bright, oncoming traffic would constantly flash their brights at me  Lips Sealed.  

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/03/13 at 04:00:23

Just a little update.  I took my bike to get it inspected the other day and there was no issue with the HID projector, but it was funny he told me "If you were one of those morons who just put an HID bulb in a regular housing who go around blinding everyone I would have failed your ass, but since you did the right thing and put a projector in I'm passing you" LOL   Grin

IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #12 - 08/03/13 at 10:25:26

ToesNose wrote on 08/03/13 at 04:00:23:
Just a little update.  I took my bike to get it inspected the other day and there was no issue with the HID projector, but it was funny he told me "If you were one of those morons who just put an HID bulb in a regular housing who go around blinding everyone I would have failed your ass, but since you did the right thing and put a projector in I'm passing you" LOL   Grin

ROFL!  Grin Grin
I need mine inspected...that's the guy I need to do it!

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/03/13 at 15:54:05

Hey Dave it was Tuffy auto service on Williams between 150 and Brawley in Mooresville  Wink    It's the same place I had my intermediate exhaust pipe done, Lee there helped me out a ton with that!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:26:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › H.I.D. projector conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.