Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Microsoft speaks in "microsoft" again .. (Read 89 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Microsoft speaks in "microsoft" again ..
06/30/13 at 06:48:52

Headline news from Microsoft

Android up 13%, iOS down 7%, BlackBerry down 81% … and Windows Phone up a massive 52%

First of all, basic percentage theory says all percentages in a given statement must add up to 100% or some numberical BSing is going on .....

Well, it IS a statement from Microsoft about Microsoft and it is driven by sales figures provided by Microsoft so perhaps a wee little bit of BS'ing is to be expected.

Microsoft has just spent millions on advertising their notebook and phone systems and even more $$$ on training sales associates at the various carriers on how to pitch their products to the best advantage.

(and to be sure millions more will be spent as Christmas approaches)

Microsoft currently has the millions to spend to tell you how wonderful they are, but eventually them nasty old factual actual facts do tend to creep into the picture.

Them nasty old factual actual facts department    ..... and please note that the sales figures that are available are sorta old & out of date, too.

This last numberical based, completely "unspun" table simply says that Microsoft shipped twice as many phones in this same quarter this year than last year, and they have shipped 4.1% of the total number of US phones shipped so far for this rolling quarter of this year.  

These are not even the full first quarter 2013 figures ......  they roll in December of last year.

So, at the very very start of this year Microsoft was taking share from Blackberry (Rim) and Symbian (Nokia), who are busy going obsolete as we speak.   Android was taking clearly taking share from Apple, which is more significant.  

Why worry about phones?  

Phones are currently driving the technological curve in a relatively open pathway that makes all sorts of neat new gadgets come popping out of the woodwork.

Apple, who USED to be the largest market share holder in phones lost their Steve Jobs and has gone "dead at the helm" for over a year now --- and they have lost their lead in phone space accordingly.  

Now this is bad for all of us as the 800 pound gorilla used to drive change at a furious pace, but since the gorilla's head died the gorilla jest ain't doing very much any more.  

(and neither is anybody else, apparently)

We have still not seen the new products for the various players that should be driving their Christmas sales efforts for this year.  If the new products do not come out soon in large shippable volumes then Christmas season may be sorta dull this year.

Tongue

« Last Edit: 06/30/13 at 09:20:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Microsoft speaks in "microsoft" agai
Reply #1 - 06/30/13 at 08:33:57

Apple's failure to DO ANYTHING is costing them even more in tablet space.  They are the best part of a year behind in releasing their latest WOW product and that gap has been filled in with Google and LG and Samsung who have been shipping incremental improvements while holding back their already designed (sitting waiting for Apple) rebuttal products.  

Indeed, some of those Apple beater products have been put on sale recently without much fanfare simply because in the computer industry today your "window to obsolescence" does NOT allow you to sit on much of anything.

Result of this Apple lag?

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/03/android-tablets-will-hit-60-market-share-th...

Android tablets will hit 60% market share this quarter as iPad shipments dip, analyst says

Confirmation of these figures is sorta needed as it predicts some bad thing for good ol' Jobless Apple at this point in time.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddhixon/2013/05/14/why-android-is-winning-the-t...

Folks, losing the #1 position in phones and in tablets all in the same year, while struggling hard to bring your next set of products to market in time for Christmas is BAD NEWS for Apple  .....

This sorta leaves Samsung, LG, Asus and Google co-sharing the big monkey position, with the Chinese low end guys actually becoming relatively more important to the industry as a whole.

To turn this around Apple must really innovate again and take tablet space in some compelling new direction that the others cannot immediately do "same or better at a lower cost".    Or else they must invent and patent a completely new product (like Google's Glasses) that people really can't live without.

Folks in the finance world are not confident in Apple's ability to pull this off without Steve Jobs at the helm.

Wink      I guess we have to stop calling Apple the 800 pound gorillia -- they are now just one of the crowd of big monkeys.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Microsoft speaks in "microsoft" again ..
Reply #2 - 06/30/13 at 09:16:39

Some hope for Apple lovers everywhere .....   Job's last project was to do with reinventing TV

http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511091/apples-next-innovation-tv/

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 06/30/13 at 09:38:07

Google, what is Google doing well?    They are leveraging their massive data farms by doing central processing for a good number of their android phone tricks.

Voice recognition is a good example.  I talk text into my phone a lot as it is much easier than texting.  When I do this, my voice is recorded and sent to a Google data center where a mainframe nearly instantaneously converts the amplitude modulations into typed letters which are sent back to my phone and displayed.

Voice has gotten a lot better in the 3 months I have had my Galaxy S3 phone.  There have been some software updates in the data centers that do a much better job than anything that existed a year ago.   There is also a little file on those servers called "Oldfeller's voice" which is a corrected version of things based on what I corrected in text when fixing the earlier attempts at voice to text.  

This is typical of Google, they LEARN you and use what they know about you to make everything work better -- it is YOU centric in a fashion we have never seen before.

Now, this is scary in a fashion as well, since you don't control it or what uses Google may choose to use this for in the future.   Or what NSA or Homeland Defense or FBI or you name it may want the information for to use for whatever they want to use it for.

Paranoid thought -- since I carry my phone with me all the time and NSA  (or Version/Google if you prefer) can turn my microphone on at will and convert all my conversations to a text database that can be searched at will ......

Abuse of what Google can currently do could be very Big Brother, don't you think?  Turn my GPS on and you can know where I go.   Turn my mic on and you can know what I say when I get there.

And the tricks just get better and better.   Turn my cameras on and send me a canned advertising call and you might could see who I am talking to right now and then you can use your TruthSayer tricks to see if I am lying to them when I talk to them.   Flash me a fast subliminal during the call and see how my eyes react to the images -- hell you could question a subject over the rolling months to get know their political leanings, religious leanings, etc. etc. all without spending a second of an agent's time.

Give this technology a goal, give it a driving political agenda, could you possibly sway someone over a period of months, literally change their opinion on a given topic?

Scary, ain't it?

Google is arguably the big dog now, so expect folks to start not liking or trusting them as much.   Microsoft has taught us to dislike our OS providers and Balmer has taught us to hate the folks in charge of the big dawg OS company as being buffoonish arrogant idiots.

So far Google doesn't fill that bill at all -- but they haven't been on top for long either.

Still, folks who want to bring you better cable based data rates for a lot less money and folks who want to do free wifi over the entire world for free can't be all bad.

http://news.thewindowsclub.com/googles-project-loon-offers-internet-via-ballo...

« Last Edit: 07/01/13 at 05:47:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/30/13 at 14:56:11

And them Chinese cut rate cheapie tablet guys, why is it that we think that they are getting relatively more important?  

Because the Rockchip RK 3188 28nm A9 quad core chipset is getting less & less expensive -- yep that is the one that is currently populating all the new low end cheapie tablets (at a very respectable 1.6 to 1.8 ghz per core speed).  These new generation $150 tablets are not performance slouches by anybody's guesstimation, they beat out a Tegra 3 fairly easily on all fronts.  

Good video resolution, good viewing angles, good capacitive touch screen performance -- they have finally come of age.   The RK 3188 quad core beats the Tegra 3 chipset on the benchmarks by a 25% margin and it costs half as much -- with as good or better video performance on actual devices with same-same screen resolutions.

So, the cheapie 7 & 8 inch tablets at Walmart offer a true near premium experience at less than half the cost of the high price name brand processors/tablets sitting next to them -- and they are getting cheaper and better supported all the time.

Walmart sells them by the skidillions, so you know they must work OK or Wally would drop them like a hot potato as Wally pays close attention to return rates, yes they do.

Read the graph and note which segment (clearly, it is the tier 3 suppliers) which is currently experiencing the biggest growth.   Repeat sales are still working for the tier 3 guys as when your tablet only costs $125 and you drop it & bust it, you go get you another one.  

Drop your IPad 1 or 2 and do you run out and buy an IPad 3 ???   Heck no, unless you are mind-locked on IOS so badly you can't comprehend anything but Apple products.   These are the folks who buy cases and insurance policies on their carriables.

Tablets for young kids almost 100% comes out of this tier 3 category.   Nobody is going to give a $400 IPad to a young kid for them to go trash it.

==========   What will happen next year  ==========

Premium tablets, to justify the big price difference, must have a new generation chipset in them that really does something drastically better/faster than the old stuff from 6 months to a year ago could do.

Right now that big performance gap for the premium price stuff just isn't there -- so the cheapie Chinese guys are seeing a hayday of being able to do a near match on performance and features at a really significant cost savings.   They are building a BUNCH of tablets right now and they have sales outlets in Walmart, Kmart and Sears etc. etc. that can move a bunch of them.  Folks are starting to lose their fear of the tier 3 products sold by Walmart, as they know Wally will take it back if it doesn't work.

Now, how about this little trick-- there is an app now to overclock the current generation 28nm RK 3188's main processors to 1.94mhz each and zip up the 4 graphics cores from 400 to 600 mhz.   This is a 40% increase in main processor performance and they say the video bump is actually testing out closer to double up.  You have to run a little bitty fan blowing on the processor when doing this, but now you got you a really cheap item that OUTPERFORMS the high priced stuff.  

Crazy stuff, really.    What will open up the flood gates in the next 6 months is Linaro is going to bake full RK3188 chipset support into the Linux kernel and then you will see lots of little linux PCs popping up all over the place, running full featured Ubuntu right out of the box.

========

The old style PC big box builders & enthusiasts understand this sort of stuff and some of the old PC guys are glomming on to this new frontier.

Look to see "small server boards" become all the rage for the old power tower PC guys as your very first AMD server boards will be out next year that will host 8 to 16 separate CPU modules that will each carry 4 cores per CPU.   That is a LOT of computing power .... in a very small package.

Roll Eyes

Briefcase Supercomputers is what the boys are starting to call them ....

« Last Edit: 07/01/13 at 20:10:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:28:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft speaks in "microsoft" again ..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.