Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can y'all verify that I'm not getting screwed? (Read 470 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Can y'all verify that I'm not getting screwed?
Reply #15 - 06/28/13 at 22:40:54

Super Thumper wrote on 06/28/13 at 20:29:41:
My rocker cover won't come off with the engine in the frame ---2001 savage.

I've done it on 3 Savages...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #16 - 06/29/13 at 01:49:18

To be fair; the Clymer says there may be some differences in frame clearance across bikes, and that some savages may not be able to have the valve cover removed in frame.  However, experience says otherwise.

I don't suppose you'd want to take the valve cover off just to show us how you get stuck.  Tongue

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/29/13 at 06:36:58

if youll be specific about what youre doing, odds are we can help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/29/13 at 08:27:39

done it on a few savages too.
takes a twist and a tip, got to be good with those wire ring puzzles.

you can get a little more clearance... Clarence
if you pull the engine mounting bolts and let the engine drop in front.

WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #19 - 06/30/13 at 08:46:46

Sneaky...but effective...thanks for the tip!! Smiley

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #20 - 06/30/13 at 08:54:18

Even with the top engine mount removed from the rocker cover the cover won't clear the camshaft gear. Going to try Verslaven's idea today....need to change another cam chain. The bike in question has forward controls on it so I need to remove them also but still easier than pulling the engine from the frame!

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 06/30/13 at 09:40:20

I've never had to loosen lower motor mounts...  I did do good bit of turning and wiggling to clear the cam area...
...( once you do get the angle right,.. make careful mental note of that position... you'll need it to reassemble)... and it's trickier, because you'll have the Hondabond spread on there...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #22 - 07/01/13 at 08:30:36

Verslaven's trick worked...after removing the two front engine mount bolts the engine settled about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch until it is sitting on the lower frame rails....this gave me the needed clearance to remove the cover with about 1/4" of room to clear the cam gear....thanks Verslaven!!!
Smiley

FYI....this took me about three hours to complete.

This  also makes it much easier to re-install the rocker cover with the sealer on it...the extra clearance  allowed me to slip it over cam gear without having to twist, turn, wiggle, etc. it in place and risk messing up the sealer.

Thanks again!!

FYI I just installed Verslaven's drilled brake rotor on this bike and it looks GREAT! Well worth the $$$.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
jcgribks
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/01/13 at 13:34:59

I just bought a 2009 S40 with 750 miles on it for my wife.  I decided to go ahead and take it into the local dealer (Olathe Suzuki) to have the oil changed and a new spark plug installed.  They also said that they'd look the bike over for me.  Original quote was $75 total,  picked bike up and it was $148. I complained and he said it was $75 per hour even though the shop ticket said $75 total quote. He also said they added air to the tires.  Woopie!!!  I thought I'd been screwed.  Called another dealer here in KC  3 days later and was told $60 for an oil change and he didn't remember if the tank had to be removed for the plug changed or not so he quoted me $60 for the plug change too.  So I guess Olathe suzuki had to remove the tank to put a new plug in mine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 07/01/13 at 15:43:59

jcgribks wrote on 07/01/13 at 13:34:59:
I just bought a 2009 S40 with 750 miles on it for my wife.  I decided to go ahead and take it into the local dealer (Olathe Suzuki) to have the oil changed and a new spark plug installed.  They also said that they'd look the bike over for me.  Original quote was $75 total,  picked bike up and it was $148. I complained and he said it was $75 per hour even though the shop ticket said $75 total quote. He also said they added air to the tires.  Woopie!!!  I thought I'd been screwed.  Called another dealer here in KC  3 days later and was told $60 for an oil change and he didn't remember if the tank had to be removed for the plug changed or not so he quoted me $60 for the plug change too.  So I guess Olathe suzuki had to remove the tank to put a new plug in mine.

For a mechanic familiar with the Savage.....an hour is plenty of time to change the oil and do the spark plug.  Yes the tank has to be removed for the spark plug change....as getting the chrome side cover off requires removing the tank.  If you have never done this before and need to read the manual while you do it......it probably does take 2 hours.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 07/01/13 at 21:22:03

Until ya do the spark plug door mod,, then the tank stays on,,

I only know of one guy who can afford to own a savage & not do the maintenance, but he does the maintenance,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #26 - 07/02/13 at 09:25:18

I took the chrome covers off my Savage...I like the way the engine  looks without them. Also no more removing the tank when I want to change a spark plug. I am experimenting with several different spark plugs (Pulse plugs, Energy Star, etc.) to see which one my Savage likes best.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 07/02/13 at 09:39:20

j wrote on 06/28/13 at 09:32:44:
also I'm leaking a tiny bit of oil.  Is this conceivably due to valves needing adjustment?

Hell no. This is the rubber cap sitting on top og the bolt that is next to the exhaust port. Little bit of oil is the bike's middle name. Ignore it.
Lotta bit of oil = replace the rubber cap with a solid one - not the stupid hollow one.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:35:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can y'all verify that I'm not getting screwed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.