Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wandering squeaky belt (Read 106 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
wandering squeaky belt
06/27/13 at 19:10:51

So when versy got a good look at my bike he suggested that if I wanted the squeaky belt to go away, to loosen up the rear axle and turn the adjusters appropriately so the belt would stay relatively in the middle of the... rear belt sprocket thingy, I don't know what thats called.
anyway I tried this and the belt doesn't stay in one spot, it wanders back and forth. I mean, I don't know about real time, it's not like I'm watching it as im going down the road. I notice it after I stop and look. It's in a different spot basically every time, hence wondering.
Anyway my belt was too tight (I know this because I watched serowbot's extraordinarily helpful vid) and that's what was actually causing this squeaking. So I adjusted it, no more squeak. belt still wanders, but no more squeak.
 anyway im generally enjoying my savage, it's running great and hauling ace.
today I came home, shut her down and walked her into my shop, that's when I realized the squeak was back. so I reached down and tested the tension of the belt and hey! wat do ya know, it was way too tight again. Now, when I had adjusted it the last time I put a hurt locker on the bolts and made marks where I could just look down and see if it moved.. none of them have moved.
 So is this like some sort of issue, or do I just need a torque wrench?.. I tightend the shite out of it. I'd also like to note that the back sprocket thingy and the front sprocket thingy aren't directly in line.   So what say you gentleman?

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: wandering squeaky belt
Reply #1 - 06/27/13 at 19:20:13

Nupe,... this belt was born to wander... that's normal...
Reduce the squeak with a little sandpaper along the belt edges...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #2 - 06/27/13 at 20:01:59

Okay cool. so wondering also means that the belt will tighten up? I just have to loosen it and use your 90 degree twist method once in awhile?
Or is it more likely that the whole rear tire assembly slid back for one reason or another?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/27/13 at 21:38:27

When you reefed down on it, the wheel assembly slid. Normal, you need to get the tension set, reef down on the axle and then tension the adjusters the rest of the way. And if you didn't loosen the brake arm nuts and let the backing plate reset itself, followed by resetting the brake rod tension... You may end up with dragging brake shoes. Been there.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 06/27/13 at 22:33:14

pig fat !!! lol   Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 06/28/13 at 07:16:55

WD wrote on 06/27/13 at 21:38:27:
When you reefed down on it, the wheel assembly slid. Normal, you need to get the tension set, reef down on the axle and then tension the adjusters the rest of the way. And if you didn't loosen the brake arm nuts and let the backing plate reset itself, followed by resetting the brake rod tension... You may end up with dragging brake shoes. Been there.

See ... and here I thought setting the belt was a simple task...

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #6 - 06/28/13 at 09:18:01

huh... ok so i loosen the axle bolt,, adjust the tension screws so the belt is at correct tension,, tighten the axle bolt back up,, adjust the tension screws again because tightening the axle wil have moved it slightly,,, then adjust /reset the brake because moving the rear wheel assembly back will have essentially put on the rear brakes a bit.
Okay, I can dig that. My only question is that I would think tightening the axle bolt up would prevent the adjusters from working at all. I mean how is the rear wheel assembly supposed to be adjusted by the tensioners when tightening the axle bolt should prevent it from moving at all.
I can understand how adjusting the tension, locking the tensioners, then super tightening the axle bolt down might move the whole rear wheel assembly forward... but how can it move rearward when the tension bolts are locked? because the belt didn't go loose, it got tighter.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #7 - 06/28/13 at 09:19:09

Pig fat? Wtf??

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/29/13 at 08:24:30

there are rubber triangles built into the hub to absorb power pulses & clutch engagement shock. they arent perfect. i sliced up an inner tube & shimmed them up. that decreased the amount of deflection the pulley goes thru under acceleration, decreasing belt wandering,m

contact cement is your friend,

pieces of inner tube cut too big, partially inserted on each of the long sides of the v shaped rubber will drag down into place when the v is pressed down, IF you smooth things up on the wheel 7 slime it with some glue.then trim to fit after its dried. i didnt mess with the outter edge, just the sides of the wedge.

this is a good time to decrrease brake shoe contact area so it doesnt lock up at the thot of using the rear brake.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #9 - 06/29/13 at 17:30:11

wow.... Justin i wish i knew what the f*ck ur talking about 'cause it sounds d*mn helpful. I may be a talented artist but im fundamentally retarded. I have a buddy who knows the proper way to adjust the belt and we went over it like 3timez and I think I may have it now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wandering squeaky belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.