Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Priority Plus Tail light control (Read 96 times)
Gibsonman
YaBB Newbies

60 yo. Handicap
Rider. Ex Srambles
racer.

Far Northern Calif.
Priority Plus Tail light control
06/27/13 at 12:05:40

Hi!  Does anyone know if the Sound Off Recreation Priority Plus turn signal adapter can be used on a 2005 S-40? It's the unit that increases your visibility by keeping your turn signals on at 1/2 brightness, thereby acting as running lights. They also light up as a brakelight when the brake light is activated.  

Thanks a bunch!!

Des   Smiley

2005 S-40. 2450 miles. Stock. Back trunk and side saddles. Full windshield. Crash bar with highway pegs. White. Custom rear lighting. Mechanical cruise. Custom seat.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Priority Plus Tail light control
Reply #1 - 06/27/13 at 17:11:25

But our rear turn signals are yellow. There will be legal issues. Plus using yellow as brake lights seems pretty darn odd.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #2 - 06/27/13 at 17:24:20

Greg wrote on 06/27/13 at 17:11:25:
But our rear turn signals are yellow. There will be legal issues. Plus using yellow as brake lights seems pretty darn odd.

No legal issues, red and amber are allowed from the rear of vehicles. No law against additional light if it's the correct color, and as long as the red brake light works properly additional amber lighting should be ok.

IP Logged
Gibsonman
YaBB Newbies

60 yo. Handicap
Rider. Ex Srambles
racer.

Far Northern Calif.
Reply #3 - 06/27/13 at 17:25:20

Yeah, good point on the color thing. I'll check the legals. What I'm mostly worried about is the wiring that supplies the turn signals, and whether it can handle the additional voltage, even tho it's only running the lights at half power. I guess I'm worried about them heating up or something....

Any thoughts?

Des   Smiley  Wink

2005 S-40. 2450 miles. Stock. Back trunk and side saddles. Full windshield. Crash bar with highway pegs. White. Custom rear lighting. Mechanical cruise. Custom seat.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 06/28/13 at 01:45:46

Converting your indicator lights to "running lights at half power" simply means they will be receiving not 12 (13.8) V but a mere 7-8-9 V, and glow dim.

That's all.

A light bulb is actually a thermal machine, i.e. you have current flow through the filament, it heats up to the point it glows and emits light.
But the filament will be HOT long before it will emit any visible light, so don't worry on the issue of "overheating" the light bulb.

On the other hand, I have seen melted indicator lenses, but only because that indicator light had been stuck "on" (i.e. not flashing) for hours on end;
the light bulb was good at its job and survived, the lens was not meant to be exposed to all that heat and melted.

RIP... new lens, please !  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/28/13 at 08:55:23

clearush wrote on 06/27/13 at 17:24:20:
Greg wrote on 06/27/13 at 17:11:25:

No legal issues, red and amber are allowed from the rear of vehicles. No law against additional light if it's the correct color, and as long as the red brake light works properly additional amber lighting should be ok.

I believe that there are legal issues with using rear running lights or brake lights that are not red.  When I was looking at buying turn signals for my bike, I remember several retailers stating that for turn signals that had both running and signal lights in the same unit (dual filament), the yellow lenses were not legal for use on the rear.  I believe that turn signals can be yellow on the rear - but not running or brake lights.

I have had several cars with yellow lenses for the rear turn signals - but they were only turns signals and only worked as signal flashers.  THe rear runnning and brake lights were always red......and I believe that is the legal requirement.  Running lights on factory built trailers are always red on the back, and on the sides they are red in the rear and yellow on the front.

You might be able to get away with using yellow for runnning lights in rear without any tickets......I would not be that adventurous to try it for a brake light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/28/13 at 09:00:25

Dave is correct on this. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home