Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting too hot? (Read 200 times)
JBK

MS
Getting too hot?
06/27/13 at 05:58:23

2001, 25k miles, Jardine muffler, air pod, cam chain mod, white spacer mod. Driven daily just started noticing bike getting really hot. Both sides and chrome head covers are blistering hot after 15 ride.  Oil level normal, so why is she burning up?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Getting too hot?
Reply #1 - 06/27/13 at 06:26:19

Have you got a mouse nest on the cylinder head?

The Savage gets very hot in traffic, low speed travel, or sustained interstate speeds.  I have a head temperature gauge on mine and it runs coolest at 40 - 50 mph, the highest reading I ever got was on a 1st-2nd gear gravel road session when it was 90 degrees out.

Get one of these:
http://trailtech.net/tto_temperature.html

Then you won't have to guess.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/27/13 at 06:34:41

Or, more to the point use T6 synthetic and don't worry about engine heat any more.  

T6 is good for the very hottest any of our engines has ever gotten, even when idling along in a Harley parade event.

T6 has been pulled down by list members after having been used in some real thermal abuse events -- the oil was saved for reuse in the riding lawnmower etc as it wasn't hurt at all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/27/13 at 13:07:56

I never heard of one getting so hot that the chrome on the side covers blistered but I am relatively new to the Savage.  Unless you are riding in a manner that overheats the engine as outlined in a couple earlier replies then something must be wrong.  Any other symptoms?  Does it seem to be running lean?  Did you install the Jardine and air pod and was the carb rejetted afterwards?  Did the problem start soon after any of the mods?

Since you suspect some sort of problem you might as well change your oil and filter and take a good look at both to see if there is any metal.  And you might as well put in the oil OF recommends, good stuff.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #4 - 06/28/13 at 14:48:26

So filter was good. Oil was garbage. Switched it out for some T6. Ran this morning and still hot as hell. Now what?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/28/13 at 15:43:59

It is an engine,... so it does get hot... (have you tried touching a car engine?... and they are water cooled)...
If she ain't loosing power dramatically, or unwilling to idle... she ain't too hot...
Sometimes you just notice these things more in summer because you're hot and you start to wonder...
Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 06/28/13 at 16:19:01

Are the chrome covers actually blistering, or are they just so hot that your fingers blister when you touch them? Remember, the Savage is an air-cooled motorcycle. It has to be hotter than the ambient air to shed its heat, and if the ambient air gets hotter so does the engine. The heat it sheds is a function of the difference in temperature between the engine and the air passing over it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/28/13 at 19:42:19

Charon wrote on 06/28/13 at 16:19:01:
Are the chrome covers actually blistering, or are they just so hot that your fingers blister when you touch them? Remember, the Savage is an air-cooled motorcycle. It has to be hotter than the ambient air to shed its heat, and if the ambient air gets hotter so does the engine. The heat it sheds is a function of the difference in temperature between the engine and the air passing over it.

The temperature sensor on my Trailtech Vapor is mounted on the left rear cylinder stud.  Temperatures are 260-270 during 50 mph rides on 85 degree days.  If I increase the speed to 65 mph the temperature goes just shy of 290.  On the gravel road climb in 1st and 2nd gear it got to 300.  I am not sure how much of that heat makes it to the chrome covers......but I bet they are really hot if you touch them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/28/13 at 19:44:45

mine are as cool as a cucumber

somewhere deep in a box under a ton of sh!t.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 06/28/13 at 19:52:21

Until you get some form of temperature gaging that tells you a number, we can't really appreciate what your "hot as hell" really means.

You have already taken corrective action for extreme heat (T6 for your oil) so until you can beg, borrow or steal a temperature measuring device you will just have to solder on with it.

Hint:  if you were really over-cooking the engine your exhaust pipe would be a bright blue color all the way into the muffler -- is this the case ???

And yes, the engine head and barrel gets hot enough in normal use to give you a second degree (blister) burn if you grab on to it when you first stop.   The exhaust pipe goes from second degree burns to third degree (steak searing in the pan) and that is normal too.

Stop from a hard run and idle it a bit and it gets a lot worse, BTW ....

And that my friend is why I use T6 for my oil, because I sometime do silly shite that really abuses my engine up in them high mountains, and then I idle the engine some afterwards sitting all still-like with no air circulation ....  

(or with it lying on it side as the case may be)        Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #10 - 06/29/13 at 06:30:27

Covers not blistering. Just hot to the touch. Exhaust is not changing color so I must just be overreacting. No loss of power and idles just fine. So will ride till she dies.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/29/13 at 08:29:44

how hot is it?  

there are temperature sensitive markers available at welding supply shops,

different solders melt at different temps, too

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/solder.htm

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #12 - 06/29/13 at 15:59:42

Havent got an exact number on it.  Just noticed it felt hotter than normal.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:27:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting too hot?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.