Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil sight window (Read 172 times)
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Wallaceburg Ontario, Canada
Oil sight window
06/27/13 at 05:33:15

With the 2006, the oil sight window has a shiny piece of metal in it, which for me, makes it harder to read the level. To me that peice of metal hinders reading the level.  On my goldwing, the oil sight glass is easy to read the level.  Whenever I check the S-40, on the list,the window looks full to me.  Just wondering if others have the same problem??  Thanks in advance!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oil sight window
Reply #1 - 06/27/13 at 05:54:31

There has to be something in that window.....if it was just a black hole you would not be able to see anything.  Maybe it could have been less shiny or a different color....but there is no way to change it easil that I know of.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/27/13 at 05:58:28

I don't have a problem reading the oil level. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 06/27/13 at 06:04:57

Are your's the same as mine?  Must be the lighting that affects the view.  Because of that piece of metal being in there, you only get little openings to see the oil level.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 06/27/13 at 06:07:25

Oil covers the entire window in mine.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 06/27/13 at 06:16:35

Is that when it's upright, or when it's on the sidestand??

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/27/13 at 06:33:14

Dodgeman wrote on 06/27/13 at 06:04:57:
 Because of that piece of metal being in there, you only get little openings to see the oil level.  

With the bike level and the correct amount of oil in the sump, you should be to see the oil level across the entire window between the top and bottom lines. If not, post a picture to show us what you have.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/27/13 at 06:34:05

I believe the manual says to check it in an up right position. When the level is correct as prescribed by the factory there will be no oil showing in the sight glass when on the side stand.. There are some who over fill to where there is a little oil showing in the glass when on the side stand. I am not one of them.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/27/13 at 07:22:32

I guess there's no pleasing some folk.
put clean amber oil in there... can't see it... too light.
a thousand miles later, the black oil obscures the window... ah, too dark, can't see it.

don't do such a great job of getting the old oil out.  start her up, and the oil will darken up enough that you'll see it.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 06/27/13 at 07:38:51

Detergent oil is supposed to change from clear amber to something much darker within several hundred miles.  This shows the detergent is working,.. keeping the particulate matter and other contaminants in suspension.  

If you want the oil to stay nice and clear looking, use non-detergent oil.  
 -- After all, when I was a kid, my neighbor said all them newfangled multi-grade oils were bullpucky because they just "wore plum out in a few hunnert mals" once the additives boiled off.  His belief was that single-weight non-detergent oils were the cat's meow because they were basic stock, and didn't wear down like them newfangled syrups.
-- If the oil stays clean, it means all the gunk being created inside the motor is being deposited in various places, rather than being suspended in the oil.  This situation is why there is market for those powerful solvents you can buy to put in your idling hot motor for a few minutes before an oil change.
-- Don't do it.  Use T6.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 06/27/13 at 07:51:57

Check the oil with a hot motor idling and a the bike held upright.  The oil level should be about 1/3 up the sight glass.  2/3 of the sight glass should have no oil.

Check the oil with a hot motor idling and a the bike held upright.  The oil level should be about 1/3 up the sight glass.  2/3 of the sight glass should have no oil.

This is Oldfeller's recommendation here, and I find it makes the most sense.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283793450/15#15

The big advantage here is that the oil is checked real time, at real temps, with all the various expansions of metal and oil in effect.
-- Checking the oil when cold, or when the bike is on a sidestand, is using a test that checks on situations that are SUPPOSED to turn into an acceptable level when the motor warms up.  
   --- That kind of thing is a prediction of sorts, a hope.
   --- You HOPE the oil, motor, and clearances behave properly as it all warms up.
-- Checking the oil while the motor and the oil is fully warmed up checks on what is actually happening,.. a much more relevant piece of info.

Just don't let the bike fall on you while you check the oil.  As a technique, I had the ex-girlfriend straddle the front wheel holding the bike vertical while I looked at the oil.  She refuses to sit on the bike.  I finally had enough bitching and moaning,...so,.......

Now, I have a small mirror on a stick so when I pull into the normal parking place, I hold the mirror down by the window and look at the oil level while the bike idles with me sitting on it keeping it upright.

This is Oldfeller's recommendation here, and I find it makes the most sense.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283793450/15#15

The big advantage here is that the oil is checked real time, at real temps, with all the various expansions of metal and oil in effect.
-- Checking the oil when cold, or when the bike is on a sidestand, is using a test that checks on situations that are SUPPOSED to turn into an acceptable level when the motor warms up.  
   --- That kind of thing is a prediction of sorts, a hope.
   --- You HOPE the oil, motor, and clearances behave properly as it all warms up.
-- Checking the oil while the motor and the oil is fully warmed up checks on what is actually happening,.. a much more relevant piece of info.

Just don't let the bike fall on you while you check the oil.  As a technique, I had the ex-girlfriend straddle the front wheel holding the bike vertical while I looked at the oil.  She refuses to sit on the bike.  I finally had enough bitching and moaning,...so,.......

Now, I have a small mirror on a stick so when I pull into the normal parking place, I hold the mirror down by the window and look at the oil level while the bike idles with me sitting on it keeping it upright.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 06/27/13 at 08:33:23

Worring about the thermal expansion of different motor oils is like picking fly schit out of pepper in my opinion. Huh

Check it at operating temp and you will be good to go. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 06/27/13 at 08:46:40

apache snow-FSO wrote on 06/27/13 at 08:33:23:
Check it at operating temp and you will be good to go. Smiley

Zackly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:28:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil sight window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.