T6 ? (Read 170 times)
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
T6 ?
06/25/13 at 10:59:10

Yesterday I bought a gallon of Rotella T6 at Autozone for $19.99 (sale)but when I looked close at the container it said "heavy duty diesel oil" where my older gallon container was identical except it said "heavy duty oil". Is there a different version of T6 or is it just semantics?

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: T6 ?
Reply #1 - 06/25/13 at 11:00:52

Rotella T6 is a diesel oil. It is also rated for motorcycles with a wet clutch.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/25/13 at 11:34:02

Quote:
Heavy duty engine oils protect by fighting acids, and helping control deposits and wear to help maximize your equipment life. With Energized Protection™, our oils continually adapt chemically or physically to protect heavy duty diesel engines, however and wherever they are operated.

Quote:
PROTECTION AGAINST WEAR
Shell Rotella® T6 delivers 34% better wear performance on average compared to the previous API CI-4 PLUS 5W-40 formulation. In seven out of seven industry-standard, diesel-engine wear test measurements, Shell Rotella® T6 outperformed the previous formulation. LOW EMISSIONS   Protecting the performance of your exhaust-emissions control systems is not only important for your vehicles to comply with legislative requirements, but also to promote efficient operations. For instance, blocked diesel particulate filters (DPF) can actually increase fuel consumption. Shell Rotella® T6 is formulated with reduced levels of ash, phosphorous and sulfur to help maintain the efficiency of the latest vehicle-emissions technologies. Meeting the ash, phosphorous and sulfur requirements of API CJ-4, Shell Rotella® T6 has been tested and proven to protect your vehicle.
IMPROVED HIGH/LOW-TEMPERATURE PROTECTION

HD engine oil with an additive package formulated for diesel engines.
which is what we've been using all along.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 06/25/13 at 14:01:11

tarkm812 wrote on 06/25/13 at 10:59:10:
Yesterday I bought a gallon of Rotella T6 at Autozone for $19.99 (sale)but when I looked close at the container it said "heavy duty diesel oil" where my older gallon container was identical except it said "heavy duty oil". Is there a different version of T6 or is it just semantics?  

You got the right stuff.  Be happy.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #4 - 06/25/13 at 14:31:45

Yes I'm sure I bought the right stuff. This is only my second purchase of T6 and thought that T6 was defined as "heavy duty engine oil" used in many engine types but see that it is also sold with a slightly different wording "heavy duty diesel engine oil".  Other than that the containers are basically identical.  I guess I spend too much time on very small stuff.  Hmmmmm.  Let me ponder that a bit.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/25/13 at 15:11:36

tarkm812 wrote on 06/25/13 at 14:31:45:
 I guess I spend too much time on very small stuff.  Hmmmmm.  Let me ponder that a bit.

Sounds like you are going to fit right in with the rest of us!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 06/25/13 at 18:15:15

tarkm812 wrote on 06/25/13 at 14:31:45:
Yes I'm sure I bought the right stuff. This is only my second purchase of T6 and thought that T6 was defined as "heavy duty engine oil" used in many engine types but see that it is also sold with a slightly different wording "heavy duty diesel engine oil".  Other than that the containers are basically identical.  I guess I spend too much time on very small stuff.  Hmmmmm.  Let me ponder that a bit.

No matter what the Shell marketing department tells the Shell packaging department to put on the outside of the container, Rotella T6 is what you want for the lubrication requirements for this motor.  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 06/25/13 at 20:42:34

Long Island? How can you afford to ride...  Huh

Have family in Bridgehampton, Watermill, Sag Harbor... last time I visited there (1990), gas was twice what it cost on the west coast...

Yep, you're sweating the petty details. To the best of my knowledge, neither forum I've been on in the 15 years I've owned my Savage has lost one that ran heavy duty oils. Unless the timing chain tensioner fell apart...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/26/13 at 05:23:06

WD wrote on 06/25/13 at 20:42:34:
Long Island? How can you afford to ride.....

I bought my bike from the previous owner in Long Island.  When I went to pick it up I had to pay $ 24 to cross one small bridge with my car and motorcycle trailer!

I spent about $ 40 in bridge fees in the span of an hour.  Unfortunately I picked up the bike on a Friday night and crossed through downtown Manhatten  around 5:00 PM on my way home.  It took 5 hours to drive the first 40 miles!  Small wonder that the bike was 4 years old and only had 262 miles on it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #9 - 06/26/13 at 06:56:01

My bike is an '87 with 24,000 of which 3,000 are mine.  My brother put about 20,000 of that living here on "the island".  I figure that T6 can only help.  I wont put that many miles on as riding daily here isn't a thrill. I did just do a great ride out to the east end south fork and cross up to Shelter island using two ferries and to the north fork then back home.  Alas no mountains but not to bad.  Going upstate for 4th. I just put a Dyna muff on and "borrowed" your (Dave) adapter dimensions. No leaks. Thank you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:24:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › T6 ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.