Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brand new to motorcycles w/ lots of questions (Read 389 times)
NV1P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Connecticut
Brand new to motorcycles w/ lots of questions
06/24/13 at 17:54:38

For some reason I still can't figure out I decided to take the MSF course. The first time I had ever been on a 2 wheeled vehicle that didn't require pedaling was May 26. On June 13 I became the VERY proud owner of a beautiful 2006 S40 with only 1800 miles on it. I'm immensely enjoying riding it no further than a mile from my house when the roads are empty going no faster than 30 mph  Smiley.

On the advice of just about everyone around me my purchase was made from a dealership, so I can be assured that it was looked over and any major problems would have been addressed.

As for the questions:

1. Carbs:The previous owner had put on an aftermarket Jardine muffler. The dealer told me it was louder than stock, so not knowing anything I told them to put the stock back on. After buying the bike it occurred to me "gee, maybe the previous owner tuned the carb for this aftermarket exhaust. And maybe the dealer didn't think to go through checking that out." What tests should I do to try to determine if there is a difference?

2. Shifting: While in the course I tried out every one of the bikes they had, which were the Honda Nighthawk, the GS250, and a TU250 (which was my favorite). You may wonder why I brought this up. All three of the bikes had very smooth shifting compared to the S40. When shifting I have to push harder than with the others. This doesn't bother me all that much, but the fact it goes in to gear with a very loud thunk! makes me think that maybe something isn't quite right. I've also noticed that sometimes I have to have the clutch slightly out in order for it to get out of neutral into first. Are these normal occurrences, or should I be heading back top the dealer?

3. Backfiring:You may have guessed that I was going to ask about this Cheesy. The previous owner may have done the idle screw adjustment, as the brass plug is missing. What I don't know is if they did it correctly. The engine will backfire if I accelerate hard as if I was going onto a highway and then roll off quickly. It hasn't backfired on shutting it off, and while the dealer surely cleaned everything and I've only had it two weeks there was no blue on either the aftermarket or the stock exhausts. Should I worry about this?

4. Brake lock: I'm thinking of getting a brake lock. Does anyone have a recommendation on which to get? Do the ones with alarms tend to falsely go off? Are there reasons why I shouldn't get one?

Speaking of brakes....

5. Squealing brakes: The front brakes are a bit squealy. There's plenty of pad left, and I have read on here that it's a common occurrence. Is there anything I have to do, or is it best to leave it? I read somewhere that replacing them with FA106 pads helps, but there's plenty of stopping power, and there's very little play in the lever.

6. Brake modulator: What's a good inexpensive one to get? Are they difficult to install?

For now I think that's all. I'm sure as I ride more things will come up. Until then, thanks in advance for all the help!  Cool

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Brand new to motorcycles w/ lots of questions
Reply #1 - 06/24/13 at 18:26:17

You have found an outstanding resource.  Alot of people here have extensive expertise.  I'm no expert but, I can point you in the right direction.
1.  If it runs good your fine.  More than likely you will have to pull the cart to check the jets to see what is in it.
2.  I have an 06 and mine is the same way.  You'll get used to it.  
3.  This is a very common issue.  You can reduce a bit, seach some of the threads.  After about 6k, mine still pops but not as loud.  I kind of miss it a bit.
4.  I can't say I much use for this, I live in the country.
5.  Mine did to.  After I would out the oem pads I replaced them with ecb, I think.  I had to replace mine at 6k.
6.  ??

Your doing fine, the carb is the only issue you may have.  But if it is running good, your fine.  I hope this sets your mind at ease.

Best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 06/24/13 at 18:45:10

Agree with pgambr. 1/ Be careful of carbs, there is so much info here you will likely overload. My bike does all I want the way it came from the factory. 2/ as Ive ridden few bikes I'm no authority, but keep some revs up when down shifting. 3/ There is also information overload on this subject, you could try turning the idle screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise, you could also leave well alone. 4/ Apparently, the Savage/S40 is the least stolen bike in the USA. 5/Agree with pgambr 6/ By a brake modulator, do you mean ABS or something? I haven't struck this term, I'm probably making another public display of my ignorance.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 06/24/13 at 18:48:01

Many on this site have poor opinions of "stealerships" did you get a warranty with the bike?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
NV1P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Connecticut
Reply #4 - 06/24/13 at 19:21:56

Wow! I wasn't expecting replies so soon.

A little clarification, what I meant by brake modulator is a module to flash the brake light a few times before it goes solid. Its supposed to help draw attention to that fact you're stopping.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/24/13 at 19:37:39

1.likely if the dealer did anything it would be to put stock jets in. but probably just left it. if the po did rejet, it might be rich.  I'd drop the bowl and check.
2.yep it's a little clunky.
3.leave it, check your plug.
4.I got one for the same reason, just to be secure. but I didn't need it.
5.wash with soap and water, when the wear out, replace with a "kevlar" pad.
6.naw, they can't see you anyway.  and that will probably cause an epileptic seizure and you'll get run over anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
NV1P
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Connecticut
Reply #6 - 06/25/13 at 06:19:10

Thanks everyone who's written so far.

The bike does have a 2 month or 5K mile warranty, so I'm sure that if I took it there they would at least look at it without charge.

I'm considering dropping the bowl to see if it was rejetted. While I suspect that it's still stock I'm the kind of person who takes things apart for fun, not to mention I'd always be curious if I don't.

As far as a lock even if it's highly unlikely to get stolen I've had to deal with a car being stolen and totaled (still miss that car), and if all I get from the lock is peace of mind I'll take it.

While I'm asking questions, is there a way to quiet the exhaust? Are there mufflers out there that attenuate the sound? If there's power loss using one I'm not concerned. My two main things are gas mileage and quietness.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/25/13 at 06:28:43

NV1P wrote on 06/25/13 at 06:19:10:
While I'm asking questions, is there a way to quiet the exhaust? Are there mufflers out there that attenuate the sound? If there's power loss using one I'm not concerned. My two main things are gas mileage and quietness.

There is nothing that makes less noise than the stock exhaust.....except maybe turning the bike off.  The Harley Davidson DYNA muffler is the best balance of performance and noise, however it is  noticeably louder than the stock muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/25/13 at 08:42:20

The Harley Davidson DYNA muffler is the best balance of performance and noise,

and cost

supertrapps tune  / cost 400ish bux

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 06/25/13 at 09:30:20

Yeah, the Harley Dyna muffler is one of the best things I have done to my bike. Smiley It does make it sound like a motorcycle should and I like it.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 06/25/13 at 15:39:10

Quote:
4. Brake lock: I'm thinking of getting a brake lock. Does anyone have a recommendation on which to get? Do the ones with alarms tend to falsely go off? Are there reasons why I shouldn't get one

If you mean one of the locks that you attatch to the front disc, don't do it. Sooner or later you'll forget to take it off. You won't like what happens next.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #11 - 06/25/13 at 16:46:48

apache snow-FSO wrote on 06/25/13 at 09:30:20:
Yeah, the Harley Dyna muffler is one of the best things I have done to my bike. Smiley It does make it sound like a motorcycle should and I like it.

You wouldn't happen to have the part number or other identifier, would you?  Thanks!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 06/25/13 at 16:53:10

Yeah, the part # is 65747-94. Punch that # in to ebay and there will be a bunch of them. Just make sure they have the stock baffle in them.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #13 - 06/25/13 at 17:55:18

6. Brake modulator, that's easy Kisan Signalminder yeah it's easy to put on too and works greats best mod I've made( not counting cam chain tensioner which is essential) to this otherwise near perfect ride.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 06/25/13 at 20:53:06

Leave the carburetor alone, if the bike is running fine, don't fiddle with the one thing guaranteed to drive you bonkers. Well, that and the petcock..

Brake lock? I can't count how many times I parked mine, key in the ignition, helmet on the bars, and it was always right where I left it. Honestly, except to another enthusiast, you can't give a Savage away. At least in the lower 48 of the USA, overseas they are worth something.

2006 model is now 7 years old. Look at your tires, if they say I.R.C. you need to change them. Go to an independent shop, generally better prices and faster than the dealerships. Do ALL other services yourself, we're here to teach you and help you save both money and aggravation.

I've had over 100 motorcycles in 26 years. I've kept my bought new 1998 LS650 the longest. You're in the right spot.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brand new to motorcycles w/ lots of questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.