Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
I am utterly confused about my bikes top speed. (Read 647 times)
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Re: I am utterly confused about my bikes top speed
Reply #30 - 06/25/13 at 16:14:09

Alright so of course it's dumping again today. The sun came out for about 5 minutes and snuck my chance in to take some pictures and try out the pod modification on a little around the block ride.

So at first I didn't notice any difference with the cut away on the pod for the breather until about a quarter mile the darn thing dropped out for a second and then proceeded to do the same thing numerous other times until i got home. I don't really know how to explain what i mean by "dropped out" other than it sounded and felt like the bike was just about to die. This happened at very low rpm and when i was first starting to throttle up from either a stopped position or when shifting down to take a corner. The exact same thing happend when the pod fell completely off one night accept then the throttling up did absolutely nothing with the pod not on.

I'm assuming this is from the carb getting so much more air now? I could fix the pod back up but then the ring that the pod itself sits in will block that breather on the top of the carb intake. This is a tuning issue yeah?

Here are some pictures of the pod. Pretty cramped in there but i did the best i can without tearing apart the entire box.

Saxon

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #31 - 06/25/13 at 16:45:54

Here's another hum dinger.. I'm looking up petcocks and i'm having a hard time figuring out what a stock petcock even looks like. The petcock that was on the bike when I got her looks exactly like the raptor petcock.

After reading this it appears I already have a raptor petcock.

Saxon

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #32 - 06/25/13 at 16:54:43

This is what I was referring to

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926/1

Saxon

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #33 - 06/25/13 at 17:53:07

i have no clue what a "pod" is, nor am I sure that my rambling will help you... but that's never stopped me before.
Apparently, and I hope the big thumpers will correct me if i'm steering you the wrong way, there is a multitude of nonsense that will make your bike do strange things. since our bikes are kind of similar, and mine runs amazing (thank goodness for the big thumpers on this site) i have posted a picture of mine just as a plane visual of the types of different setups that work.
First, I do not have a raptor petcock, In fact I have no idea what kind of petcock it is,, But the important thing to note is that there is no vacuum connection on it. I plugged that little vacuum hose at the carburetor.
Secondly, With the k&n cone filter and the Jardine exhaust she is breathing pretty freely. I believe this setup or something similar is the way to go.
Thirdly, I've gone through the carburetor with a fine tooth comb like 6 or 7 times,, getting familiar with it, playing with the whole jet needle white spacer mod deal, and messing with the Jets to find the right combo. I believe this is necessary to make the connections mentally between how your bike is running and what physical modifications have been made. for the longest time I could not get up to freeway speed for more than a mile without it dying due to gas starvation because my bro that had it before me messed with the Jets incorrectly.
Most recently my bike ran horrible at low rpm and even had to be push started (thanks to Dane for being a super human with super mutant strength). It turned out to be a bad regulator. it took some troubleshooting with verslagen1 to get that straightened out (thnx versy).
Just some stuff to think about. Don't fret, we will get it straitend out.

boogysbike.jpg

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #34 - 06/25/13 at 18:09:23

The Saxon said, "...it sounded and felt like the bike was just about to die. ... I'm assuming this is from the carb getting so much more air now?"

With that small filter, and the lessened filter area, the carb is getting LESS air now.

Or,

If the carb is getting the same amount of air, the air getting through is not being filtered very well.

It's just physics.  For a given filtering effectiveness, you can not reduce the surface area of the filter without restricting the flow of air.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #35 - 06/25/13 at 18:14:51

Stop copying my bike bro.. haha. Man I love you guys.. sorry for being such a nub.

You have a pod filter. Just an aftermarket filter that is small and sticks on your carb. At least to my understanding that's what people call them.

I will have to figure out an easy thing to plug up that open port with. Someone had said the little caps that plug the battery holes but don't know how the hell i'll find one of those by itself. Any other ideas?

Man i'm lost.

Saxon

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #36 - 06/25/13 at 18:16:25

On top of this there's no telling what the hell the guy did to the carb before me. he had this pod on it when I got it.. it's never had any problems running. It just seems to top out at about 55. Hence my utter confusion.

Saxon

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #37 - 06/25/13 at 18:44:33

TheSaxon wrote on 06/25/13 at 18:16:25:
On top of this there's no telling what the hell the guy did to the carb before me. he had this pod on it when I got it.. it's never had any problems running. It just seems to top out at about 55. Hence my utter confusion.

Saxon

On a day that is not very dusty, go out to a stretch of road where you can do a full throttle run in top gear from maybe 40 to 60 with the filter on.

Then do the same thing with the filter off, and see if anything changes.  If what I am saying is true, it'll run a lot better.  If nothing changes, it'll just prove, once again, that I don't know everything.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #38 - 06/25/13 at 18:48:17

There ya go!! See, i told you the big thumpers know how to troubleshoot.

Then again, maybe your to fat for your bike  Grin

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #39 - 06/25/13 at 19:09:31

And more confusion. I removed the metal plate that the actual pod sits in that restricts the pod from even trying to recieve air to the breather on the top of the carb. You can see what i'm talking about here

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347609265

How could it be getting less air now? I just took a snap of what the filter looks like inside.. I literally just cut out a slot.

So like I said this pod actually fell off one day and what it did was basically the same thing that was happening when i took her around the block with the new pod accept it literally wouldn't go at all.. not sound bogged out for a second on starting up the throttle. Throttle did next to nothing... stopped and looked at the bike and saw the pod was off, re attatched it and was on my way.

It all sounds like this is all in the carb but it still dumbfounds me the difference in going 80 or 55 is all in a tiny pin hole. Then again i don't know jack.

Saxon

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #40 - 06/25/13 at 20:09:30

Breather on top of the carb? you mean those two little hoses that are vents for the bowl on the bottom of the carb? i just shove those up into the spine of the frame. Seriously man, let's dig into that carb. And just go in and hack all of the restricting stuff out of the way and get a k&n in there.
  And yes those jets with their tiny little pin holes make a big difference.

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #41 - 06/25/13 at 20:23:15

I already ordered a new filter. This was just something I tried while I wait you know? Been dumping rain for days now and I don't want to mess with the carb in between downpours.

And no I mean the little port on the top of your carb that these pods I have restrict. You would have to read that thread I posted to see what I'm talking about maybe? I have found a bunch of resources on this site for fooling with the carb.. I'll be diving into it as soon as the sun comes out. I figure that's what vars is waiting for.

Saxon

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #42 - 06/25/13 at 20:55:35

One other thing to check the hose with the bolt on the right side of the carb is blocking off a vacuum line if that line is cracked or leaks the bike will run horribly. I had the cap I put on dry rot off and cause my bike to run erratically for a bit.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #43 - 06/25/13 at 21:04:28

Either dump your airbox and get a big enough K&N, or go to a UNI brand foam slip on filter. That looks a lot like an Emgo knock-off you have on it now. Pure junk, trust me, I used to turn customers away from them all the time. They may look decent, but they are so restrictive that you'll damage the engine. Stock airbox and paper element on mine, oversized jets right now, basically open exhaust (legal where I live)...  It'll lift the front tire off the ground w/o breaking a sweat.

The Mikuni BS40 that our bikes come with used to be a kit upgrade for Sportsters... you just have to let the carb inhale as much as the engine demands.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #44 - 06/25/13 at 21:09:42

Hell yeah thanks for the input WD. Got a new filter on the way. Might end up checking out the salvage and the dirtbike shop tomorrow as that's all there is in my town to quicken it up. Knowing my luck and knowing how retarded the guy had the bike wired, the jets probably are jacked up.

Saxon

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:17:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I am utterly confused about my bikes top speed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.