Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
I am utterly confused about my bikes top speed. (Read 647 times)
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Re: I am utterly confused about my bikes top speed
Reply #15 - 06/23/13 at 22:17:28

Nevermind I saw your post on this thread there clearush. I will check that out tomorrow. Although i just read your post about going 70. My bike at 60 is reving so high i think my teeth are going to rattle out. I did clean the garb over the winter but I guess i could do it again.

Saxon

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 06/23/13 at 22:29:21

take a peek at your jets and lets us know what they are.

and, it's not uncommon to get the spring in the slide wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #17 - 06/23/13 at 22:32:01

After fixing that issue though I have topped out 91 before a curve on a super windy day on a short straight patch. That 70 was WOT and it wouldn't give any more. This is with 5 speed.

As for the vibes the more you ride the more intune you get with the bike and the vibes seem different. Every time I'm off more than a week for rain and stuff I have to get my feel back for the vibes at high speed.

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #18 - 06/23/13 at 22:35:03

I have no clue what that means verslagen but i will check out the jets tomorrow in the light and let you know what i see.

And clear i'm far more concerned about the darn engine blowing up than the fear of going fast.. the bike sounds like a insane squirell at about 55+

Saxon

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #19 - 06/23/13 at 22:38:51

verslagen is talking about the spring inside the carb that controls the amount of air going into the carb its the same thing as the throttle plate on a butterfly carb. it sits inside the carb on the metal slide that closes the air inlet on the carb

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #20 - 06/23/13 at 22:39:39

Alright I will study up and get on it tomorrow in the light. Thanks for the help guys.

Saxon

IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #21 - 06/23/13 at 23:00:08

I have a ´88 with 4 speed. had the same problem, just going bearly over 60. But I could "feel" that the engine was lacking fuel on top speed, due torgue was not constant.

So I changed to raptor... Now I am able to do almost 80 and torgue is complete different througout the range.

So If cone is not the reason, better check this one.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #22 - 06/23/13 at 23:26:40

hmm... when you take the top of the carb off and remove that weird slide assembly, the two jets u see are air jets. I believe the pilot air jet is a 47 and the main air jet is like a 230. the larger Jets have the number on top and the smaller pilot jets have it written on the side. anyway the fuel Jets are on the bottom of the carb, like where the whole bowl and float assembly is.
so that weird slide assembly is a whole thing in and of itself. if you look down the center there are two screws holding down a plate (take extra care not to strip them). underneath that place is a spacer, an e-clip, a washer,a spring, and the jet neddle. if the washer between the spring and e-clip is not the right size or there isn't one, the spring can bind up on the e-clip. take some pictures so we can see what's going on.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 06/24/13 at 08:41:44

A 650cc motor trying to breath through a puny filter like that is like try to run a mile while breathing through a straw.  Just from surface area alone, that "filter" has maybe 1/10 of the filtering area of the stock paper filter.

IOW, you need a much larger filter.

Also you need a larger filter because this is a single cylinder motor.  Four-cylinder motors can get by with smaller filters (and mufflers) because the flow is more constant, while the Savage flow is in individual gulps.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #24 - 06/24/13 at 12:14:57

Thanks very much guys. I've never really done all this alone so i'm trying like hell to study up and try and figure it out. I really appreciate all the help.

What filter would you recommend Gyro? seems like my pod does infact have that huge lip on it that i'll try to carve away in the meantime. And thank you Boogie for that write up bud. It's much needed.

I'll take a picture of the pod and carb here in a few minutes and post it up after i throw it back on.

Saxon

P.S. Here's a picture of her as of now. Currently chopping up a trailer fender to bolt on a shorty fender for the back.

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #25 - 06/24/13 at 15:33:34

Of course it hasn't stopped dumping rain all day for me to get out and take some pictures.

Saxon

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #26 - 06/24/13 at 16:29:51

haha ya go figure huh. I like your bike man, it looks a lot like mine. actually it gives me some ideas on how to make mine better. specifically the tank. I have like a jet black Sportster tank and it kinda looks retarded. now that I see what a savage tank wud look like, because our bikes are so similar in style, I definitely need a savage tank. also, your seat is bent up in the back way more than mine, which is good because when I get up to like 90mph I have nothing to brace my rump against,, gotta hold on for dear life.

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #27 - 06/24/13 at 19:05:19

Thanks man. I do leather work so I just stripped the seat and threaded and stapled it up with some scraps i had laying around. Came out alright I've been staring at some of the solo seats people have made up on this forum but I could see how the bend would make it alot more comfortable. Other than the fact it's rigid with no darn springs under the seat. haha.

I cut up the rubber on the pod to make room for that breather on the top of carb intake. We'll see how much of a difference that makes tomorrow

Saxon

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #28 - 06/24/13 at 19:22:42

Oh ya, u do leather? I used to do leather and then I blew my arms out. but it would be nice to get back into it after they heal. check out my portfolio, you might get a kick  outta some of the leather work. http://society6.com/timflora
there is two pages, click "more" in the upper right hand corner to view the other page.    Alright enough off-topic nonsense  Smiley

IP Logged
TheSaxon
YaBB Newbies

Reply #29 - 06/24/13 at 20:11:01

Hell yeah man. The dye job on those masks is killer.

I'll post up some pictures in the morning. pretty much tore up the entire pod making a viable port on the top. We'll see how much that does.

Saxon

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I am utterly confused about my bikes top speed.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.