Send Topic Print
help (Read 117 times)
bigdawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

help
06/22/13 at 21:06:52

98 savage with raptor pet thingy leaking fuel out of air cleaner while cranking?
Bike is in hemet ca 1594' above sea leval.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: help
Reply #1 - 06/22/13 at 21:10:59

take a plastic handle and rap it against the bowl, your float is stuck.

might need to clean the carb.

lookie there dane, another one in riverside.

WWW   IP Logged
bigdawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/23/13 at 15:11:05

I have a nother question.  I put a vacuum gauge on the carb where the stock vacuum line was and the gauge bounces from 0 to about 18 when cranking is this normal?

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #3 - 06/23/13 at 15:44:12

Hi bigdawg! Since there is only 1 piston you will have vacuum when the piston is going down on the intake stroke only. And since the engine cranks fairly slowly your vac gauge needle will bounce.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
bigdawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/23/13 at 18:03:22

Thanks for the info

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 06/23/13 at 20:26:16

bigdawg wrote on 06/23/13 at 15:11:05:
I have a nother question.  I put a vacuum gauge on the carb where the stock vacuum line was and the gauge bounces from 0 to about 18 when cranking is this normal?

Put a very long length of vacuum line (5 feet?  10 feet?) on the vacuum port, and put a small c-clamp near the end of the line with vacuum gauge.  
-- Use several feet of vacuum line because you want a lot of interior volume.  Any kind of flexible hose that will fit the carb and your gauge will do.
-- Clamp the c-clamp down so the hose is blocked off,... then with the motor being cranked over by the starter motor, slowly open up the c-clamp bit by bit until there is a tiny "leak" in the hose at the clamp, then stop opening the clamp.  You want the clamp to allow only a very little bit of air to pass.

The long hose (with its interior volume acting as a volumetric damper) and the very small amount of air allowed by the "leak" (acting as a flow restrictor) will cause the needle to be a lot steadier.

It may take several seconds of cranking to get the needle on the gauge to stabilize.  It will still wiggle back and forth some, but the range of motion should be small.

("help" is not a very helpful title for a thread)

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #6 - 06/23/13 at 23:36:48

ya verslagen1, Dane, and myself are in socal. I live in downtown Riverside and Dane is not too far from me. your welcome to come hang out at my place and we can dig through your bike a little if u like.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:24:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.