Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Too much play in gearshift lever? (Read 118 times)
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Too much play in gearshift lever?
06/21/13 at 14:37:23

Hi folks, I've been having issues with my '01 Savage as of late, one of which has me stumped - it feels like there's way too much play in gearshift lever range of motion.

I first noticed this the first (and only) time I had my bike out for the season - unfortunately it was a very short ride, so I only have so much to go on here. At one point on said ride, I downshifted into 1st and suddenly found that my shift lever hadn't popped back up when I let up off the lever. I pulled over, gave it a quick tap, and sure enough it rose back up, but slowly. I tried shifting up and down a few times and found the play to be a bit gummy, which I don't think I'd never noticed before. I figure it may just need some grease, so no big deal right?

Fast forward a few weeks and while trying to figure out a starting issue, I shift down into 1st from neutral with the bike on it's side stand and am surprised to find that the shift lever doesn't catch/ stop where it had in the past. Instead, it dips below the footpeg by about 20 degrees! Now, I'm certain I haven't noticed that before.

As far as I can tell, I'm still able to shift normally (or at least 1st-N-2nd and back down), but the bike won't start (other annoying issues) so I can't road test it at present.

So, my question is - should I be concerned about the wide range of motion of the gearshift lever, or is that 'normal'? If the former, what might cause this?

Thank you in advance!

-Dave

winterwalker   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Too much play in gearshift lever?
Reply #1 - 06/21/13 at 15:36:55

Every once in a while experience something odd with mine as well.  When shifting from 1st to 2nd the shifter lever will go all the way up with no resistance and it won't shift.  The next time I shift it works just fine.  This only happens when shifting from 1 to 2.  It has happened only a couple times in the last month; but, it gives me an unsettled feeling.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
DaTrader
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/21/13 at 18:39:21

When I purchased my bike it was missing a spacer that goes in the clutch lever, it's hard to describe but the bolt that the lever pivots in goes through this spacer.
I bought one on bike bandits for $3.69. The part number is:
SPACER,CLUTCH L 1101184
Do some searching and you can find a pic.
Hope this helps!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/21/13 at 18:39:24

Look at the flimsy little pot metal rod that connects the shifter "pedal" to the actuator... if it isn't ram rod straight, there is your shifting problem. Unfortunately a very well known and common failure item with Savages, model year irrelevant. The new models use the same 2 cent part as the first year model.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 06/21/13 at 18:57:27

Is this something I can look at without pulling a bunch of stuff apart?  Also my bike has 7k, is milage a determining factor?  Or can that piece just give-out at any point in time?  Thanks again.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/21/13 at 20:00:51

pgambr:

The rod WD is talking about is on the outside, you can see it easily.  It is just part of the linkage that runs from the shifter pedal to the shifter sticking out of the case.  It is flimsy and it can bend.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/21/13 at 20:13:24

Very visible, very flimsy, very easy to reinforce. Measure the span between the two jamb nuts, write it down. Go buy a piece of tubing as close to that length as you can find. Disconnect the actuator from the engine, unscrew the rod end, add the tubing, reassemble. Corrects most shifting issues. Costs about $5 and 15 minutes of your time (which is figured into the price quoted).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Wallaceburg Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/22/13 at 14:39:15

What type of tubing would be preferable??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/22/13 at 14:55:20

300 series CRES per AMS5576

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/22/13 at 20:58:27

verslagen1 wrote on 06/22/13 at 14:55:20:
300 series CRES per AMS5576

Huh

1/4-3/8" wall brass is the easiest to deal with. Black iron pipe, bronze bushing stock, even a heavy wall nylon bushing is fine. Just something that is not flexible and isn't much bigger in outside diameter than the jamb nuts. A Bic pen shaft full of epoxy is even suitable, it's stronger than the factory part.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - 06/23/13 at 15:57:18

Thank you DaTrader and WD! I'll look into both and see if that does the trick for me. Crossing my fingers that the fix is as simple as that - I'll update once I get a chance to check it out.

Thanks again!

winterwalker   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:41:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too much play in gearshift lever?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.