Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why does my bike backfire when I shut it down? (Read 171 times)
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Why does my bike backfire when I shut it down?
06/18/13 at 15:47:24

Every time I shut my bike off she gives a pop, do I have my idle air mix off?

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Why does my bike backfire when I shut it down?
Reply #1 - 06/18/13 at 16:13:10

Yep, just like the factory does. Go out 1/4 turn at a time until it calms down if it bothers you, otherwise ignore it, it's normal.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 06/18/13 at 16:15:35

If its normal im ok with it, I just wanted to make sure that I didnt mess it up too much. We had a little issue with a stripped air fuel screw... had to flat bottom drill it and then put a new head on it so I was concerned that I pulled it out too far... I think its funny!

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #3 - 06/18/13 at 16:56:05

shovelbum87 wrote on 06/18/13 at 16:15:35:
If its normal im ok with it, I just wanted to make sure that I didnt mess it up too much. We had a little issue with a stripped air fuel screw... had to flat bottom drill it and then put a new head on it so I was concerned that I pulled it out too far... I think its funny!

I was worried about it to, we experienced a work related shooting last year and I just cringe every time I pull up to motorcycle/carpool parking (next to the front doors, of course), shut down and POW!! I know I could fiddle with the screw but that is a signature sound of the big thumper.

Who am I to quiet the cry of a victorious travel? Grin Seems the louder the more people are around going into the office.

Maybe I should ease the screw just a bit, for careers sake... Grin Grin Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/18/13 at 19:29:55

Turn the air screw about 1/8 or 1/4 turn open beyond the optimal setting (the setting where it idles fastest).  I did it with a little coaching from the team here and got rid of the after fire.  A little idle time prior to shutting it down also helps.

I hated the after fire.  All the nosey neighbors knew when I was getting home.  Now they will at least have to peek out the window since I no longer announce my return with a shot gun blast.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/18/13 at 23:33:34

I backfire when I shutdown...

I just figured me and my bike were bonding... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 06/19/13 at 04:24:45

Some say check the exhaust pipe header bolts as well.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/19/13 at 04:53:55

When you turn off your ignition the engine is still turning and is sill pulling air through the carb.....where it picks up fuel the same as if it were idling.  Since the ignition is off....the fuel/air mixture just gets pumped through the engine and into the hot exhaust system.  When the temperature of the fuel air mixture is elevated by the hot exhaust system.....it can become hot enough to spontaneously combust in the exhaust pipe and "bang".  Leaner mixtures seem to make a louder pop than a rich mixture.  I believe you should adjust the mixture screw for the best engine operation.......not to eliminate backfires or afterfires.

« Last Edit: 06/20/13 at 06:41:02 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 06/19/13 at 06:41:18

Dave wrote on 06/19/13 at 04:53:55:
When you turn off your ignition the engine is still turning and is till pulling air through the carb.....where it picks up fuel the same as if it were idling.  Since the ignition is off....the fuel/air mixture just gets pumped through the engine and into the hot exhaust system.  When the temperature of the fuel air mixture is elevated by the hot exhaust system.....it can become hot enough to spontaneously combust in the exhaut pipe and "bang".  Leaner mixtures seem to make a louder pop than a rich mixture.  I believe you should adjust the mixture screw for the best engine operation.......not to eliminate backfires or afterfires.

I believe you should adjust the mixture screw for the best engine operation.......not to eliminate backfires or afterfires.

/agree

I choose not to adjust the carb to eliminate backfires... but I have a sequence that I use to virtually eliminate the issue.. or at least reduce it to a mere phoot...

When getting ready to shut down:
Stop the bike,
reach down and pull out the "choke" ( it isn't really)
Half generally works but full out if needed
when you first do this the RPMs will drop
while the rpms are down, use the kill switch to shut down
Remember to push the choke back in
Remember to return the kill switch
Always park in gear ( generally 1st)

The bike requires a high idle to maintain proper lubrication to the head, but when shutting down the high idle allows as described above (intake of gas rich air mixture ) which is then shoved out a very hot exhaust. Other possible contributing factors:
Fresh air leaking into exhaust manifold at the head, allows for leaner and O2 rich condition in the manifold. Check the header bolts. I have read here that sharp edges inside the muffler absorb the heat and can create the "hot ember" needed to ignite the gases in the muffler. I suspect that over time this would be more common as components break down.  

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 06/19/13 at 11:29:27

I did both the air screw mixture setting and the white spacer change out to two small washers. I occasionally get a "poof" sound on shut down, but thats only if I shut down right away, if I let it idle for more than 20 or 30 seconds (slow idle) it hardly ever poofs, but I don't get pops anymore on shutdown, just on downshifing.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 06/19/13 at 12:06:40

When you turn off your ignition the engine is still turning and is till pulling air through the carb.....where it picks up fuel the same as if it were idling.  Since the ignition is off....the fuel/air mixture just gets pumped through the engine and into the hot exhaust system.  When the temperature of the fuel air mixture is elevated by the hot exhaust system.....it can become hot enough to spontaneously combust in the exhaut pipe and "bang".  Leaner mixtures seem to make a louder pop than a rich mixture.  I believe you should adjust the mixture screw for the best engine operation.......not to eliminate backfires or afterfires.

Thanks soo much for this and I agree!! Do you mind if I provide a copy of this reponse to HR?  Wink

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #11 - 06/19/13 at 16:02:11

I just wanted to make sure I didnt eff something up during my tinkering, If we all say its normal then like I said I think its kinda funny... Reminds me of a horse I had when I was younger. She used to squeal at me everytime I dismounted. Maybe I will call the savage Abbey after my horse.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/19/13 at 18:48:06

Dane Allen wrote on 06/19/13 at 12:06:40:

Thanks soo much for this and I agree!! Do you mind if I provide a copy of this reponse to HR?  Wink

Who/what is HR?

Go ahead and use what you want.....

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #13 - 06/19/13 at 20:55:39

A: Because it's a Savage.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #14 - 06/20/13 at 13:19:06

Dave wrote on 06/19/13 at 18:48:06:
Dane Allen wrote on 06/19/13 at 12:06:40:

Who/what is HR?

Go ahead and use what you want.....

Grin Grin Grin Human Resources  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:38:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why does my bike backfire when I shut it down?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.