Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cam cahin tensioner failure (Read 238 times)
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cam cahin tensioner failure
06/18/13 at 08:47:42

This is a question/rant/thought process,

Do the suzuki boulevards have the same tensioner as the older models? If not what do they have instead?
And why would suzuki (considering the manufacture lifespan of these bikes) continue using a critical part like this which is very prone to failing, why not redesign or adapt like verslagen? Since mine has failed at 8000 i just cant help but think about it, also why has no company started manufacture, surely theres business........

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: cam cahin tensioner failure
Reply #1 - 06/18/13 at 09:31:31

There is a slight change to the spring, but basically, they are all the same.
Yes for a little bit of material and machining, zuk can add in my mod... would cost them a dollar, then they could get double... tripple the price for the assembly.
And these bikes would stop blowing up... but, it's marketing...
sell cheap bikes to newb's that require servicing
and indoctrinizing...
cause if you don't it blows up and it's your fault.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 06/18/13 at 17:40:59

Quote:
There is a slight change to the spring, but basically, they are all the same.

Any evidence that the change (I assume they made it lighter, right) did any good ?

IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 06/18/13 at 17:52:18

My bike is ready to roll over 5000 miles. Realistically, should I be ok till ten to twelve thousand miles on average without serious cam chain/tensioner concern? Or should I just order the verslavy very soon and have it installed to be absolutely safe?

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/18/13 at 18:07:53

Rembrandt wrote on 06/18/13 at 17:52:18:
My bike is ready to roll over 5000 miles. Realistically, should I be ok till ten to twelve thousand miles on average without serious cam chain/tensioner concern? Or should I just order the verslavy very soon and have it installed to be absolutely safe?

you have to look

WWW   IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 06/18/13 at 19:04:17

So on average are savage riders opening up and checking cam chain tension every five thousand miles? I know I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do this check on my own. This could be a very expensive bike for me to maintain if this is the required kind of maintenance. Or am I missing something? And on the first check, are most people just going to the versy mod? Thanks for all your help.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 06/18/13 at 20:12:19

Rembrandt wrote on 06/18/13 at 19:04:17:
So on average are savage riders opening up and checking cam chain tension every five thousand miles? I know I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do this check on my own. This could be a very expensive bike for me to maintain if this is the required kind of maintenance. Or am I missing something? And on the first check, are most people just going to the versy mod? Thanks for all your help.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

Link above shows how to do the check. If you cannot do the work yourself my advice would be to get a modified adjuster from verslagen1, pick a mileage to take a look - I did mine at 10,000 miles -put the modified adjuster in, and then you don't have to worry about it.

At 10,000 my adjuster was still OK. It was only out 16mm. I probably could have gone a while longer before doing anything, but I went ahead and put the verslavy in 'cause I didn't want to have to open it up again in a few thousand miles.

As far as when YOU need to look goes, that's a little tougher call. I think 10 or 12 thousand miles is probably safe but that's based on first hand knowledge of exactly one bike, plus what I've read on the forum about other folks experience. If you bought your bike new, and you're just getting to 5,000 miles I don't think you need to worry for a while. If you bought it used, and especially if you don't know its history, I might take a look sooner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/18/13 at 20:16:50

Look & mesure.

Ride a while.
If its close, not long, if its got a lot of room, put 5,000 on it,
Look & measure
Now, you have sufficient data to make a scientific guess as to how long you have,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 06/19/13 at 04:20:17

Don't forget to have a new gasket on hand, which will cost somewhere near $20 depending on source and shipping. Paper-type gaskets are not noted for coming off in one piece so you can reuse them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/19/13 at 10:01:38

Aye thats true i guess, there isnt a big following for these bikes here in the UK, but i thought someone would of began serious production in the states......
Yup i checked mine while doing an oil change at just gone 8000 and the the tensioner was virtually popped out! got all the kit ready to sort it just waiting on verslagens engineering. Got a gasket, oil, filter, magnetic drain plug on hand Smiley

depending how financially stable i am next january, its getting hardtailed and raked, and a few tasty goodies added  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/19/13 at 10:24:49

It is the opinion of those knowledgable in these things....that the stretch of the cam chain is more related to heat cycles than it is to mileage.  If your riding is 5 miles to the store and back....you will get far less mileage from your cam chain than someone who rides 100 miles every time they start their bike.  That is why we can't give you a definite value on when you will need to do something about your sloppy chain and extended tensioner.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/19/13 at 11:41:21

Quote:
I know I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do this check on my own. This could be a very expensive bike for me to maintain if this is the required kind of maintenance.

Just my opinion although not quite so humble, I truly believe that anyone riding a contraption with only two wheels should be savvy enough to do their own basic maintenance.  You are putting your life on the limb a tremendous amount more then when driving in a cage and knowing first hand the condition of your ride is paramount.  If you ride you should wrench, and if not you better make sure that the "mechanic" working on your bike is just that and not some clueless buffoon who enjoys "fixing things".  

LOL I think this is my first rant  Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/19/13 at 12:33:57

My 1998 got its first cam chain inspection this year. And has a couple clicks left before the tensioner piston falls out. Bike was never babied, even when it was just a back up bike, somebody was riding it. Me, stepson, wife, friends... and none are light with the throttle.

Checking it isn't that big a deal. As for the gasket, you can use "gray gunk"... also known as Tite-bond, Yama-bond, Honda-bond or its real name of Permatex Ultra Gray. About 6 or 7 dollars for a tube that will do a Savage side case seal 15 or 20 times over. And it works just fine, coat the outer case gasket area with a thin bead or wipe, let it start to skin over, and then put the side case on the engine. Go easy with the gray goop, or you WILL block a major oil passage and grenade your engine... If any oozes out more than paper thickness, pull the case off and try it again with less sealant.

Just did a second opening of a VN1500 Drifter engine, clutch mainspring failed after the new discs were put in and the bike ridden for a bit. Much higher oil pressure than a Savage sees, and the gray gunk we used as a gasket for it was flawless. If it is good enough for a 1500 Vulcan engine, it is more than sufficient for a Savage engine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #13 - 06/19/13 at 13:54:56

Rembrandt wrote on 06/18/13 at 19:04:17:

I just picked up a new 2012 S40 through a Suzuki promotion last March. I have been of the mind to look to the advice of those who came before me and not to pretend I know any more than I do. I did the Raptor Petcock and the Versalvy tensioner before 1,000 miles because I wanted to get at the problem before it got me. The small price I paid for time, parts and oils and such will be earned 10 fold through reduced risk of failures and uninterrupted riding. My 2 cents.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam cahin tensioner failure

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.