Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Longest Road Trip ? (Read 161 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Longest Road Trip ?
06/17/13 at 17:51:39

Just curious, what's the longest road trip one of you have taken on a savage?  I read where one fella road from CA to OKC and KY to NY.  Just curious, someday I would like to see the rocky mountains with my ls40.  Thanks, best regards.  In about a week I am going to do a smaller run to get the feel.  Thank, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Longest Road Trip ?
Reply #1 - 06/17/13 at 18:44:19

If we restrict it to a trip on a Savage/S40, my longest is about 400 miles in a day and about 1400 total, from Harvard, NE, to Fort Collins, CO. Then travelling through the Rocky Mountain National Park for a day or two, and return. My longest trip on a bike (KLR650) was from Harvard to the Black Hills, then to the Rocky Mountain Park, then home. My longest one-way was from Keesler AFB (Biloxi, MS) to Tampa, FL, back in '62. On a Sears Allstate Super Cruisaire, which was a Sears rebranded 125 Vespa. I had no mechanical problems on any of those trips.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/17/13 at 21:06:27

pg wrote on 06/17/13 at 17:51:39:
....  In about a week I am going to do a smaller run to get the feel.  Thank, best regards.

http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/002372.html
Before doing the LA-OKC run, I took a couple of short rides.  370 miles from 9pm Friday to 7am Saturday, across the Mojave, under the Full Moon.    This sunday will be the Full Moon -- you can go late Saturday thru early Sunday, assuming it isn't cloudy.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 06/18/13 at 05:53:17

Just did a trip up to NC and back for the dragon run, total mileage was over 1500 miles, that was with the few added miles I drove up there while staying at the camp.
Other than the speedo rattle and headlight rattle, i'm thinking it was a good ride and the bike performed majestically.
I weigh in at about 155lbs and had approx. 65-80lbs of gear, bottomed out the rear shocks a couple of times on big bumps, not sure what the settings are, so i'm thinking of going to progressives for the wife.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/18/13 at 20:03:58

A coupla years ago a guy took one from Florida, out to Arizona or Nevada,, up to Canada, back east to above new york, south, back to florida,,hadda buy tires on the trip,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 06/18/13 at 22:12:43

Mine has been on two 2000 or so mile trips.
It is going to take a run to Disneyland and back in September. Thats about 2500 or so...

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/19/13 at 00:48:13

Rode from Portland Or thru Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and then back tracked into Nebraska where I went north into South Dakota, Montana, back thru Idaho into Washington and then home. All in less than a month. Not sure how many miles I covered but it was alot on my Savage! Like 7000 plus after side trips. Bike ran fine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/19/13 at 07:24:47

The guys name was Beat Duck I do believe. He posted tons of pics.
Surely someone knows how to dig that stuff up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 06/20/13 at 12:08:56

I've ridden almost 500 miles in one day on the Savage.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/20/13 at 13:29:09

Hope you are small or have modified the bike to fit... I rode from Long Beach MS to Pensacola FL and back in a day. On a stone stock 98, in the summer. Pain and agony, didn't ride it again for almost a month. Started modifying the bike to be a better fit shortly thereafter.

The last real road trip was only a couple hundred miles in a day. Bike did fine, I did fine.

Each rider is going to have to discover on his own what his limit is. Height, time of day, time of year, seat, peg/floorboard location, etc are all going to play major roles in what you can do on your bike. Start out with a few shorter trips and work your way up. There's no rush, you aren't going to wear the bike out any time soon.

Keep it fun, if it hurts, you've surpassed your current sitting tolerance.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 06/21/13 at 08:32:34

WD wrote on 06/20/13 at 13:29:09:
Hope you are small or have modified the bike to fit... I rode from Long Beach MS to Pensacola FL and back in a day. On a stone stock 98, in the summer. Pain and agony, didn't ride it again for almost a month. Started modifying the bike to be a better fit shortly thereafter.

The last real road trip was only a couple hundred miles in a day. Bike did fine, I did fine.

Each rider is going to have to discover on his own what his limit is. Height, time of day, time of year, seat, peg/floorboard location, etc are all going to play major roles in what you can do on your bike. Start out with a few shorter trips and work your way up. There's no rush, you aren't going to wear the bike out any time soon.

Very good advice,
Since the savage I took up to NC was the wifes I did not modify it. The only problems I really had were my butt got numb and I felt like I was sitting on a bar stool with my legs half tucked.
If I get me a savage (1st on my list after selling other bikes) I will get peg extenders and shop around for a cushy seat I can modify to fit, I would also fab me up a backbrace sissybar setup. Also I might change out the bars to a mini ape type or put a spacer (riser) under the horns.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #11 - 06/21/13 at 09:29:25

I rode to http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/ and back via a friends house in Independence KY in a single day.  It was about 345 miles in total.  I was stiff at the end of the day but I'm not sure if it was from the mileage or the fact we ended the day in massive thunderstorm that included hail!  Sad

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/21/13 at 10:51:54

old_rider wrote on 06/21/13 at 08:32:34:
WD wrote on 06/20/13 at 13:29:09:

Very good advice,
Since the savage I took up to NC was the wifes I did not modify it. The only problems I really had were my butt got numb and I felt like I was sitting on a bar stool with my legs half tucked.
If I get me a savage (1st on my list after selling other bikes) I will get peg extenders and shop around for a cushy seat I can modify to fit, I would also fab me up a backbrace sissybar setup. Also I might change out the bars to a mini ape type or put a spacer (riser) under the horns.

If you are coming up in Sept, you can test sit mine, no problem. Might even be back in service by then. 15" rise bars, Kawi VN800A seat or the stock front pan with a 3/4" thick solo seat, half moon floorboards (Panhead replicas), 1970s N.O.S. grips, decent mirrors instead of the stock junkers... And real rear shocks off my wife's mildly customized 96 800 Intruder (her bike has 98 Savage shocks now, Memphis windshield and lowers, Mustang Royal Duke seat, fishtail mufflers) since we needed to lower hers a good bit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 06/21/13 at 15:59:08

Thank you for the insight, everyone offers valuable info from a different perspective.  The main area which I have tried to gain more comfort is some kind of back support. I bought a Saddlemen BR 1800 which is a sissy bar bag that can be put on or in front of the sissy bar on the seat.  It looks like it is pretty well made and it even has a pad to offer some lower back support.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:29:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Longest Road Trip ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.