Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
dyna muffler install holes not lining up right (Read 343 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: dyna muffler install holes not lining up right
Reply #15 - 06/21/13 at 09:22:22

MeLikeBike wrote on 06/20/13 at 17:22:53:
I got the HD pipe clamps off ebay...I though that would do the trick.  Are those Tbolt clamps any better?

They are the only thing that would seal mine. The HD clamps are poop.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #16 - 06/21/13 at 10:50:46

Is there consensus on this from others?  The primary "how to" page that talks about the harley muff installs mentions the HD clamps first and foremost (and it sure makes sense), so I didn't start digging for alternatives.  But if most of the people used the tbolts, we should update that post, since it's so popular.

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #17 - 06/21/13 at 10:52:41

Is there consensus on this from others?  The primary "how to" page that talks about the harley muff installs mentions the HD clamps first and foremost (and it sure makes sense), so I didn't start digging for alternatives.  But if most of the people used the tbolts, we should update that post, since it's so popular.

As for the exhaust cover...Cobras are made in the USA, so 'nuff said!  Grin

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
mhart731
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com is
a lifeline..

Jackson, TN
Reply #18 - 06/21/13 at 22:08:04

I agree on the  "make it fit" theory. I found out mine didn't line up when I had to turn round on the highway and ride the rest of the way home with just the head pipe... Found some U-type washers that I stuck under the bolt and tightened down. It has done well so far. I also wrapped a metal zip tie (leftover from muffler wrap) around the bracket and frame to keep it from falling all the way off just in case. But I pretty much have a rat bike anyway.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #19 - 06/23/13 at 04:57:38

I had all the same hassles and ended up mig welding it on. My welding won't win any prizes but it's leak free. I spent hours muckin' around with both types of clamps - not worth it in my opinion. If you don't have a welder, ride the bike to someone who does and 10mins and say 30 bucks later, job done.
On mine the dyna ends up at an angle to the bracket but a section of the muffler still sits on the bracket and I was able to use one hole - so that seems to be enough. I might cut the bracket and reweld it in perfect position next year, but for now i wanna ride Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 06/23/13 at 06:19:22

I wonder if a guy could get a Mapp Gas torch, like from Lowes & some solder & flux, clean that joint up good & lay some heat on it & just solder it up[..
"Course, a Mapp gas torch with the fancy "Lights when ya squeeze the trigger" head on it is about $50.00, BUT, then ya Have it & theyre Great for lighting charcoal in the BBQ Bricket Chimney. DRive a short hunk O conduit in the ground, get a piece of stout wire & make a hanger for the chimney, load it, hang it, light from the bottom, its quick,,

wear welding gloves to protect the arm till you figure out just how much
it can pop & spit hot chunks while you lite it, Not all charcoal is the same,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #21 - 06/30/13 at 20:06:17

I had the same hassles, and I wound up MIG welding it just like strang.  I initially bought one of those same Mapp torches from Lowes with that very intent!  Despite all of my best efforts, neither I nor my father  - who has used Mapp and Oxy-acetylene more than a few times - could get the pretty blue flame.  The guys on support just said "Huh, I guess your valves are bad. Take it back to Lowes."

I'll let you decide if I asked to exchange it or to just get my cash back.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dyna muffler install holes not lining up right

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.