Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle camping the Blue Ridge Mtns (Read 176 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Motorcycle camping the Blue Ridge Mtns
06/16/13 at 11:14:38

Being a northerner, I do have some great scenery in my backyard. However, I've heard from many people, biker and non-biker alike, that I should definitely run the entire stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Being a fan of great scenery, camping and the Southern US, I want to end up making the trip with whatever I can fit on my scoot.

I am realistic; I am not out to strap a bunch of crap to the bike tomorrow and head on my way half-cocked. I wanted to know if any of you guys had experience with motocamping with the S40. This probably wont happen until next year, due to my lack of funds and inexperience. This year, I plan on outfitting my bike with a sissy bar, saddle bags (I have the bags, just need the bracket) and gathering the essential equipment. The Adirondacks are at my back door, so this year I'll plan a short camping trip on the bike to get the feel for it and make my mistakes on a two day trip rather than a 2-3 week excursion.

Any pointers you guys could throw my way? I mean, how much stuff can you strap to an S40 safely and without compromising highway speed (55 mph)?

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Motorcycle camping the Blue Ridge Mtns
Reply #1 - 06/16/13 at 13:13:12

I'm in a similar position looking to go on my first trip in the near future as well.  Please look at the threads listed below.  This gentlemen didn't overlook any details.  Also, check out the Saddlemen BR 3400 or 1800.  I recently bought the BR 1800 and if fits very well between my back and the sissy bar.  Best regards.

Re: Road trip
Reply #1 - 05/07/13 at 11:21:16  

pga,
Two links from a trip I took last fall. Hope they help. Performance was not an issue. I am 220 pounds and I had another 40 or so pounds of gear hanging off the bike. I did do about 300 miles on the Interstates and kept up with the flow of traffic but this was just "getting there". I much preferred two lane US highways.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1346362055
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347827907

Good hunting

BR1800.jpg

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/16/13 at 17:31:20

You just missed the Dragon Trip!  We just got back and Old-Rider packed in from the Florida Panhandle and MMRanch packed in from Tennessee on their bikes.  We stayed at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and it was great.  I am sure that Old-Rider can give you some tips.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/17/13 at 05:40:51

PJ,
I am the guy in the links above. Please note I did not plan for camping, just the trip itself so I don't know how useful the links will be. After a day on the bike, I consider camping to be a hot shower, cable tv, and a king size bed at the Hampton Inn.

Good hunting and keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 06/17/13 at 05:46:37

Blinky:

Did you get a c50 or trade in the s40?  Just curious about the performance details.  Also, I liked the music on your vid on your trip.  Best regards.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/17/13 at 06:14:43

pg wrote on 06/17/13 at 05:46:37:
Blinky:

Did you get a c50 or trade in the s40?  Just curious about the performance details.  Also, I liked the music on your vid on your trip.  Best regards.

pga.
Unfortunately garage space and budget limit me to one bike so I had to sell the S40 when I migrated to the C50. I just started riding in April 2012 at 62 and started with the S40 based largely on the recommendations and support offered by this forum. However, I need a bike that will allow 2 up riding. I am 6'2" and my good wife is 6'. A total of 12' 2" just does not fit on the S40. It was a great bike to learn with and no slouch on road trips if you plan your gas stops.

You asked about the differences in performance. My S40 had slightly better acceleration than the C50 (Dyna muffler, K&N drop in filter, carb re-jet on the S40) up to about 60 or so. It stopped better (about 250 pounds lighter). Both get about the same MPG, high 40's although the C50 has a gas gauge and a 4.1 gallon tank. The C50 seemed huge when i first got it but now seems just about right. What has surprised me most is, IMO, the C50 corners better than the S40 did and is very light on its feet. I have put about 1,800 miles on it so far and just upgraded to an Ultimate seat with backrest (nice, got it used for $140 plus the OEM saddles) and am making preparations for my first road trip in July over to the Arkansas Ozarks.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/17/13 at 14:52:34

Which route? I'm only about 20 minutes north of I-40... Or will you cross the river at the Cape or further south around Dyersburg TN?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 06/17/13 at 17:44:21

Thanks for the insight Blinky.  Sometime down the road I would like a second bike one that would be well suited for the interstate.  Ideally I think I would like something with a bigger displacement; although, I have do desire to have something that weighs over 600 lbs.  It sounds like 200 cc & 250 lbs is not a good trade off for all the benefits of my ls40.  Thanks again, best regards.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 06/18/13 at 06:42:05

TheSavagePJ wrote on 06/16/13 at 11:14:38:
Being a northerner, I do have some great scenery in my backyard. However, I've heard from many people, biker and non-biker alike, that I should definitely run the entire stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Being a fan of great scenery, camping and the Southern US, I want to end up making the trip with whatever I can fit on my scoot.

I am realistic; I am not out to strap a bunch of crap to the bike tomorrow and head on my way half-cocked. I wanted to know if any of you guys had experience with motocamping with the S40. This probably wont happen until next year, due to my lack of funds and inexperience. This year, I plan on outfitting my bike with a sissy bar, saddle bags (I have the bags, just need the bracket) and gathering the essential equipment. The Adirondacks are at my back door, so this year I'll plan a short camping trip on the bike to get the feel for it and make my mistakes on a two day trip rather than a 2-3 week excursion.

Any pointers you guys could throw my way? I mean, how much stuff can you strap to an S40 safely and without compromising highway speed (55 mph)?

Well PJ, for starters, what do you have for bags and storage at the moment? I wouldn't run out and buy a bunch of stuff just cause they "look" big enough to store what you would need.
Also, what type of camping? full blown cut your own firewood for cooking type? or tent tossing campground with running water and facilities?
Lots of things to consider, the blueridge campground had all the facilities you could want, including hot water and laundry. They also serverd food on friday and weekends.
I originally was planning on doing some blue ridge running on my way back, so I packed like I was going to do that, then removed the items I didn't "really" need after I made my final plans not to do so, I ended up with lots of extra room in my bags.
Start out by planning a route to campgrounds with facilities like you want, then pack to match and maybe throw in a couple of things in case you don't meet your destination and have to settle for something a bit more "primitve".
As far as clothing goes, you will pass through towns with laundrymats, and some campgrounds have washer and dryers, and in a pinch a creek and some line will do, so I wouldn't pack more than 3 sets of each and wear one. Also there are walmarts everywhere! and they have travel size sections to refill your shampoo, toothpaste, deoderant ect... needs.
If you have AAA or the like roadside recovery, then a can of compressed tire saver of somesort would get you to a town where you could call for help, but if you don't, carry a minicompressor and tire kit and learn how to do a removal teardown/replacement onsite (tough to do on the roadside tho, I'd never attempt it myself).
Anyway there are tons of senario's you could prepare for and still others would pop up that you could not forsee. Thing is, in today's world unless you are traveling a totally non-populated area you really don't have to carry much in the way of teardown/repair if you service and inspect your bike before you go, you shouldn't run into any problems.
I tend to always overpack, next trip, I won't do that. Fill us in on what you have bag wise and plan wise and maybe we could suggest a few items we would take.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/18/13 at 07:47:53

Old_Rider.

Before spending money on the progressives.....check out the shocks from one of the C40/C50 bikes.  WD knows which ones......but I don't at the moment.  He has posted before which shocks to get.  You can get used or takeoff shocks on eBay.

I rode MMRanch's bike and he has shocks on it from a 250 dirt bike.  It rode incredibly nice and cushy........far nicer than the stock shocks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/18/13 at 11:10:10

VS800/S50. Raises the rear a bit, transfers more weight onto the front end. Completely changes the handling in addition to the suspension feel. Plan on relearning your machine, it will be a completely different experience versus the stock set up.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #11 - 06/18/13 at 12:25:52

To answer some of the many replies I got with this:

1. When I do go, I will end up staying on actual campgrounds (showers and whatnot), but I want to avoid using stores and restaurants as much as possible. I plan on taking as much non-perishable food as I can manage, possibly having to stop at a grocery store if I can't fit too much safely.
2. I have small to medium saddlebags that I plan on putting on the bike once I get to fabbing a mounting bracket and installing the sissy bar. (previous owner removed rear fender strut and finished over the holes). I plan on getting 2 dry bags that I'd use the ratchet straps to attach and put over the saddle bags. My heaviest things like the food will go at the bottom of the saddle bags. Next, the tent, sleeping bag and camping pack will be attached to the sissy bar. My goal is to stay under 50 lbs I may rework this idea, but the idea is to maintain balance and a low center of gravity.
3. I plan on having the bike completely serviced top to bottom, first by myself, then by a mechanic to ensure I didn't overlook anything. I have Geico roadside assistance, though I do need to call them about the specifics (I heard they have good customer service... we'll see). Aside from the tool basics (socket, pliers, screwdrivers), I'll use roadside assistance should I get a blowout or some mechanical failure.

I plan on doing the Adirondacks this summer (much closer to me) to test out my plan and see if I should reconsider some things. I'll keep you all posted, plus many pics of the ride my load job.  Smiley

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/18/13 at 13:16:54

TheSavagePJ wrote on 06/18/13 at 12:25:52:
I plan on doing the Adirondacks this summer (much closer to me) to test out my plan and see if I should reconsider some things. I'll keep you all posted, plus many pics of the ride my load job.  Smiley

PJ,
I agree with the test run. Although I did not camp, I did an all up 300 mile local shake down ride with the bike completely packed before I headed out to the Adirondacks last year. Just consider spending one day in the saddle covering about the same amount of ground that you are planning to cover each day on your southern trip. And if you find yourself traveling Hwy 28 along the upper Hudson between North Creek and Indian Lake, honk and wave as you go through the hamlet of North River (pop 115). Our oldest daughter married a guy from the Adirondacks and is raising her family there. My wife and I were there in February to see the 3 year old granddaughter ski at Gore Mountain. $%##@#$ it was cold!

Good luck, take pictures, and keep us posted.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 06/19/13 at 01:14:48

Instead of carrying pots and pans you might want to try this. I carry sheets of aluminum foil or you can buy those aluminum baking pans at the dollar store in all different sizes. Just fold them flat and lay on the bottom of your bag. If I need to make a bowl or plate I just form the aluminum foil over a rock of the right size and mold my own bowl or pan. Carry plastic forks and spoons. Sometimes you might not be able to build a campfire so Itake the lint from my dryer and cram it into the cells in a egg carton. Melt wax over them and then cut the cells aprt. Makes a great cooking fire and burns for a long time. I carry a small aluminum screen to lay over the cells to cook on. Sometimes instead of a tent I use plastic drop clothes you also get at the dollar store to make my own tent. keeps the wind and rain out anyway. In my sleeping bag I roll my spare pants and shirts up in. I also carry most everything else I need in a back pack. I have no saddle bags so all I need is my bag on the pillion seat and my sleeping bag. I also carry a rubber hot water bottle for water. If you fill it with hot water in the morning you can use it to make instant coffee or coca along the way until it cools later on to drink. Also works great as a spare gas container. Just a few thing I do to cut down on bulk and weight.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 06/19/13 at 06:04:15

Pj,

Just another thing to consider. While I don't have any experience camping by motorcycle, I do a lot of backpacking and canoe trips in the Adirondacks. Going up there this weekend as a matter of fact. The heaviest stuff in my pack on multi day trips almost always turns out to be the food and cooking stuff; stove,fuel, pots etc. Since you're not going to be in the backcountry, and will have access to stores and restaurants, you might consider leaving that stuff behind. You'll cut your load down quite a bit. Camp cooking and clean up can also be time consuming. If you're in the middle of nowhere you don't have a choice, but I think if I was traveling by motorcycle I wouldn't bother. Especially in the Adirondacks. You're never going to be very far from someplace to grab something to eat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:33:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle camping the Blue Ridge Mtns

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.