Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dead battery- won't charge. (Read 96 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Dead battery- won't charge.
06/15/13 at 14:27:03

I am really embarrassed about this, but I left the ignition on- for two days, and the battery won't charge.
Do I have to get a new one?
My voltmeter shows absolutely no voltage.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: Dead battery- won't charge.
Reply #1 - 06/15/13 at 14:39:02

You may be out of luck. Sad  You need a trickle charger that puts out a constant 2 or 3 amps. (not a float charger)  Check the cell levels, and then put the charger on trickle for two or three hours.  If it starts to take a charge, let it go until you have a full charge.  (usually the better part of a day)  If nothing after a couple of hours, then your looking at a new battery.  Smiley  Even if you do get it to charge, you've shortened the life of the battery.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 06/15/13 at 14:47:48

You have choices,....if you let the battery set for a day, it will maybe start charging. Otherwise, jumper it to a car battery, then start the car and it'll charge. After several minutes, you can put it on a small charger. You sure didn't lengthen its life, but if it was in good shape before this,  you didn't necessarily ruin it either. It'll likely be ok.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/15/13 at 15:27:25

IF you get it to take a charge, I wouldnt trust ir as far as I could throw it,

Id charge it slow & easy. Gonna take a While before you see anything.
Youre gonna hafta trickle electrons in for hours & hours,, be patient, make sure the H2O is up where it otta be,
Id be shoppin around to replace it, even if it comes up. We all know how the starter/ignition work on these.. doesnt take a dead battery to be a "No Start" moment, all its gotta do is be a little wimpy.
Someone recently had a good thread on batteries/sources/prices..
Id rather drop $80.00 & know IM golden that save it & have that gnawing "Is it gonna start when Im 50 miles from home?" feeling.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 06/15/13 at 16:29:22

Thanks for the replies guys- I decided I couldn't trust it anymore, so I bought a new one.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 06/15/13 at 17:20:22

I hope you got a maintenence free AGM like this one. This seemed to be a really good buy for an AGM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290890950938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 06/15/13 at 18:20:21

arteacher wrote on 06/15/13 at 16:29:22:
Thanks for the replies guys- I decided I couldn't trust it anymore, so I bought a new one.

Art,

If you want to fool around with the old battery, and it is an AGM type, Yuasa claims that, if it ain't takin' a charge, you can blast it with up to 25 V for five minutes.  If you can't get a charge to flow at that voltage within five minutes, the battery is most likely toast.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 06/15/13 at 19:34:08

Digger wrote on 06/15/13 at 18:20:21:
arteacher wrote on 06/15/13 at 16:29:22:

Art,

If you want to fool around with the old battery, and it is an AGM type, Yuasa claims that, if it ain't takin' a charge, you can blast it with up to 25 V for five minutes.  If you can't get a charge to flow at that voltage within five minutes, the battery is most likely toast.....

Up here in da nort' they charge a recycling fee on new batteries, which is waived if you hand in your old battery. I am pretty sure it's a racket, because there is probably more value in the recoverable materials than the $7.50 they allow for your old battery.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 06/16/13 at 17:02:50

My bike wasn't wanting to start. Battery dead, hubby charged it and it still was a  no go.
So he checked the water level. Well I am ashamed to admit yet I will. It was very very low. Once filled and recharged, it starts and runs like new.  No problems at all.
My bike is an 09 and still has the original battery.
You can bet I will check the water level more often now.
A good thing to do when storing it or bring it out of storage for the Winter. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #9 - 06/16/13 at 17:37:51

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my BIG Crank?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 06/16/13 at 17:49:22

kimchris1 wrote on 06/16/13 at 17:02:50:
My bike wasn't wanting to start. Battery dead, hubby charged it and it still was a  no go.
So he checked the water level. Well I am ashamed to admit yet I will. It was very very low. Once filled and recharged, it starts and runs like new.  No problems at all.
My bike is an 09 and still has the original battery.
You can bet I will check the water level more often now.
A good thing to do when storing it or bring it out of storage for the Winter. Smiley kim

Don't be embarrassed. YOU didn't leave the lights on..... for two days!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:33:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead battery- won't charge.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.