Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Taking bees for a ride & Kansas wind (Read 216 times)
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Taking bees for a ride & Kansas wind
06/14/13 at 12:58:28

I just got back from a short road trip to a nearby town and experienced something new on the trip. I'm bopping along about 60 mph, with a 35 mph crosswind and something bounces off my glasses (while wearing a full face helmet). I see it down in the corner of my view where the visor meets the seal, a bee. I slow down and pull over, and when I lift the visor it flies away. I take off again anda few miles down the road....a bee lands on my nose so again I stop and lift the visor and off it goes. It's over a 100 degrees and the wind is 30-40mph usually crosswind to the road direction and it was whipping them up under the front of my full face helmet. Anybody else have this happen very often?
     On another note I was riding along and thinking we dont have a lot of twisties around here, but with the Kansas wind you can dang near get your knee down on the straight sections.

06 S40
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Taking bees for a ride & Kansas wind
Reply #1 - 06/14/13 at 13:15:15

I had a wasp get up my sleeve on a hot day and sting me 5 times before I could get off the road and get rid of it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/14/13 at 14:15:31

I was runnin hot down the road & suddenly I felt like Id ridden thru a handfull of BB's. I turned around & went back, lookin for a kid who tossed them over the fence,,then I started diggin in my clothes & dug our several dead & a coupla live bees.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 06/15/13 at 04:05:38

Are you sure that the two bee's weren't getting busy in your bucket before the ride  Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 06/15/13 at 05:01:57

No bees yet, but I have had several varieties of flying insects get up inside the full-face helmet. And I got "lucky" enough to get a wasp inside my shirt - I guess it blew in between the buttons on the front.

Decades ago I was riding an Allstate Super Cruisaire (rebadged Vespa) from Biloxi to Tampa. I turned my head to look over my shoulder (no mirrors on the Vespa) and when I turned back something blew into my eye behind my glasses. It was all I could do to keep the other eye open while I got stopped. After the worst of the pain went away I found a wounded bee wandering around on the floorboard of the scooter, so I presume the bee was what hit me. Fortunately it didn't sting, probably because it didn't have time. Those who ride without eye protection - be warned.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 06/16/13 at 05:07:31

Had a bumble bee get between my right glove and jacket sleeve on the way back home yesterday. When I stopped for gas, I undid my sleeve to my jacket and a he rolled out into my palm and down to the ground. Was still alive but barely, I'm just glad I didn't get stung, I swell up bad with insect bites and stings.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #6 - 06/18/13 at 16:53:20

I have had a hornet in my helmet going down the road... not a good time. Worst two experiences for me though were
1) hit a flock of June Bugs (for those of you that dont have them they are beetles that are roughtly the size of a quarter... ouch
2) I took a bird to the chest at 30mph darn near killed me! or I thought so Took my breath away and almost knocked me off the bike

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/18/13 at 18:21:42

About 30 minutes ago I had some excitement.. standing in the shop, shooting an innocent & unsuspecting bull with a guy, something flew between my left eye & glasses,, feeling it wasnt exactly a small critter I hastily ( REad : with some degree of panic) reached up & removed my glasses, releasing from captivity a Red Wasp,,, HO Lee COW!,, I cant believe that thing didnt  go into "Self Defense Mode" in there,, but I escaped without a scratch.. My friend removed his hat to slap it down, but I told him to let it live,, If ever there was a wasp I want to see live & reproduce, its one that wouldnt sting in that situation..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 07/09/13 at 15:10:01

Update.... Worst one Ive had, I was out for a nice ride on the 3rd and it was getting late so the moths were coming out, visor was covered, so I opened it so that I could see... Not a minute later in the middle of quite a nice corner I have a bat fly into my face and get stuck between my face and the edge of the visor...I may have needed new pants after that. Shocked Shocked Shocked Undecided :'( Convinced Mother nature is out to get me!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/09/13 at 16:42:38

glad you handled that & didnt wig out & crash..
ya know, not everybody has a story like that..

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/09/13 at 16:46:07

Did you keep it, they make interesting/entertaining yard guests. I need to get of my overheated butt and build a couple more bat houses...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 07/10/13 at 01:25:45

One time I was robbed and sort of beat up (black eye and knocked a tooth out) in Illinois and a long way from home. Portland Oregon. They stole my helmet, coat, money and credit cards, and camera. While I was sittin on this bench giving a report to the police, a bee stung me in the adams apple. I also went swimming in the Missouri and got like 5 big mosquito bites on my butt. Try riding with a half closed eye, a swollen mouth because of the tooth which caused me to drool inside my helmet and constantly scratching my butt while riding 65mph. My throat swelled because of the bee sting and  I could hardly swollow. My coat rubbing on the bee sting drove me nuts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/10/13 at 01:27:24

Dude! Thats a horrible trip,,

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #13 - 07/10/13 at 03:12:57

stinger wrote on 07/10/13 at 01:25:45:
One time I was robbed and sort of beat up (black eye and knocked a tooth out) in Illinois and a long way from home. Portland Oregon. They stole my helmet, coat, money and credit cards, and camera. While I was sittin on this bench giving a report to the police, a bee stung me in the adams apple. I also went swimming in the Missouri and got like 5 big mosquito bites on my butt. Try riding with a half closed eye, a swollen mouth because of the tooth which caused me to drool inside my helmet and constantly scratching my butt while riding 65mph. My throat swelled because of the bee sting and  I could hardly swollow. My coat rubbing on the bee sting drove me nuts.

Holy cow! That beats mine all day long, Glad that you made it, Always gotta be careful when your so far from home.
My dad once was taking his bike cross country back in the 80s and he stopped for gas and a truck driver came up to him handed him a handful of ball bearings and said your gonna want these, four miles up the road a pack of guys in a pickup tried to run him off the road so he threw the bearings and took off, sometimes people just suck

IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #14 - 07/10/13 at 06:22:32

stinger wrote on 07/10/13 at 01:25:45:

Wow! I got stung in the adams-apple by a bumblebee once while riding, and that's something I'll never forget. But adding all the other things......that's horrible!

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:27:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Taking bees for a ride & Kansas wind

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.