Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Taking bees for a ride & Kansas wind (Read 216 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Taking bees for a ride & Kansas wind
Reply #15 - 07/10/13 at 06:24:28

Yeah what is it with birds and death wishes??? I had one .. I swear.. dive bomb my helmet. He banked off at the last instant.. but not before I was ducking and swerving. This was on an interstate in a hard curve ( I-20 waterworks).

Riding at "dark-thirty" is a great time temp wise and watching the sun set and all. Bugs seem to know this and have that hour reserved to them. Dabnabit...

Crossing the "spillway" (smallish dam), there is band of gnats that stay there all the time. In a car its not noticeable... on the bike... be glad your wearing gloves so you can wipe down the face shield as you pass through.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #16 - 07/10/13 at 07:09:49

Every once in a while there is an explosion in the June bug population around here. It becomes a real hazard as they collect under the street lights (sometimes in a layer of 2-3 thick on the road in 6-10' diameter patches). I have seen cars do 360s or slide off the road. I would hate to be on a bike and hit a patch of them.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/10/13 at 07:23:42

arteacher wrote on 07/10/13 at 07:09:49:
Every once in a while there is an explosion in the June bug population around here. It becomes a real hazard as they collect under the street lights (sometimes in a layer of 2-3 thick on the road in 6-10' diameter patches). I have seen cars do 360s or slide off the road. I would hate to be on a bike and hit a patch of them.

Not bike related....but June Bug!  When I was in high school I worked at a place where we loaded boxes of frozen food onto trucks each morning for delivery.  The freezer doors were left open as we wheeled the boxes out to the trucks, and it was 4 - 6 AM each morning when we did this.  It was dark and the June bugs would fly toward the light that was inside the door of the freezer.  As soon as the bugs hit the 5 degee  freezer air they would start their decent.....and about 8 feet inside the door there was always a pile of frozen June Bugs!  Evidently June Bugs aren't well insulated.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 07/10/13 at 07:37:48

I'm sure you could substitute June Bugs for Cicadas... bleah... where is the animated vomiting smiley when you need him... oh yeah, on a different forum...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/10/13 at 22:55:24

I realized how happy I was that I bought a full face helmet over the weekend.  Coming out of a canyon and hit a dragonfly.  Had it not been for the visor on the helmet I would have taken it right in my eye.  Lesson learned always have my visor down.

IP Logged
Doody814

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #20 - 07/12/13 at 11:12:45

So far, I,ve been more fortunate than some of you guys. The worst one I had was when I took a horse fly to the chest, back in my motocross days.

However, the most memorable "incodent" (and with out a doubt, the most humorous), was about a month ago.  I was cruising some nice twisty back roads and I came to a real tight 90 deg right hander, when all of a sudden a peacock came rocketing out of the ditch next to the road.  I had just down shifted, and a nice back fire came popping out of my exhaust, and the thing launched outta there like a SCUD missle!  I caugth it out of the corner of my eye & ducked just in time to only get brushed by the tail feathers, but I was a fraction of a second away from catching it flush!

Sometimes when you've looked at everything, the problem ends up being the loose nut on the seat!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 07/12/13 at 12:25:38

Been there with an ostrich. Used to be an ostrich farm on my route to work. They'll get your attention really quick fast and in a hurry. Riding along, dodging the bugs, and a feathered dinosaur jumps out of the ditch...

Riding under a flock of starlings isn't much fun either, watch out for the "chunky rain"...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:18:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Taking bees for a ride & Kansas wind

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.