Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Would like info/opinions on Savage as first bike! (Read 378 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Would like info/opinions on Savage as first bi
Reply #15 - 06/14/13 at 17:35:59

While other "cute" little bikes are out there that are small & light & dependable, this one has something few Low to the Ground( as in, short folks can handle it), relatively light ( as in those same short folks can pick it up) potential first bikes have. These have enough power that if you mess up & get in front of someone who is faster than you thot, you can grab a gear & twist the gas & youre GONE,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #16 - 06/14/13 at 18:44:03

If you feel comfortable with the ergonomics sitting on the LS650 then I would say it's a great first bike. Just remember to always ride within your comfort/skill level no matter what size bike/engine there is under you, you are the one in control not the other way around   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/14/13 at 19:42:40

When you sort through all the current bikes looking for one that has a low seat, low weight, and decent power this is about the only one out there.  Going from one stop light to another it is pretty darn quick.

Things I especially like:
Lots of torque.
Nice smooth clutch with light pressure.
Easy shifting.
Legs are not cramped up.
Light weight.
Easy maintenance, no coolant, no fancy electronics.
Mine is very reliable, always starts.

Things I don't like:
The OEM rear shocks ride hard, if you have a tender back get some Progressive shocks.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #18 - 06/14/13 at 22:01:23

Well, the S40/Savage is a great second bike also!  We bought a V Star 650 for my wife's first bike and she was never comfortable with the bike's size and weight.  We sold it to a friend and found her a 2007 S40.  She fell in love with the S40 right away.  She is much more comfortable and happier riding the S40.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 06/14/13 at 23:09:55

I think this is at the very upper limit of a beginners bike...

It's small, and fairly light, with a comparatively gentle powerband...
If you are comfortable releasing the clutch and taking off... on a bike general,... it is a fine starter bike...
I started on a 60cc 2-stroke,... then a 125cc.... then a 360cc 4-stroke, a 500, and a much faster 500...

I did have a rider that believed he was experienced,... crash a Savage into a wall on launch...
...if the throttle feels comfortable to you, and you launch easily... this bike is an excellent learner...
Some people just seem to have a different relationship with the throttle...

Many of us have gone through quite a few bikes.... and this one isn't our first,... it will likely be our last...
It's actually,... pretty adequate for a first, middle, and last bike...
I've owned faster, slower, lighter, heavier... but, no bike ever covered as many bases as this one...
Just enough, but not too much...
Enough power to get me out of trouble,... but not get me into trouble...
Grin...
To me,.. it feels the way a motorcycle should feel...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 06/15/13 at 06:06:49

Yeah, they are good for short people, easy for women to hold up, easy for first timers and good for old men finishing up. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #21 - 06/15/13 at 13:14:15

apache snow-FSO wrote on 06/15/13 at 06:06:49:
Yeah, they are good for short people, easy for women to hold up, easy for first timers and good for old men finishing up. Smiley

They can be modified to cater for the not so short too. Wink

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #22 - 06/15/13 at 13:16:22

If as some suggest, sixty is the new forty, they're good for middle aged men returning to motorcycling too.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #23 - 06/15/13 at 15:24:49

I was "about" 60 when I decided to get my first bike. Went to a place to check out and probably buy a Honda 250 Rebel. Sitting next to it for the same price was the Savage. Never heard of it and had done a lot of research on the Honda. Called a friend and he got online and filled me in on all the important stuff. Ended up buying the Savage of course. Both bikes would have done what I wanted but it turns out the Suzi-Q does it stronger and easier. The only thing I would change would be to get the gas mileage the Rebel gets.

When I say the only I thing I would change, what I really mean is that I've already changed so much (superficial) stuff that the poor bike doesn't even know what it is anymore. Harley and V-Star parts all over it, darksider tire on the back, Vetter luggage hanging on the back . . .

I've done super long trips on it cross country and putted around town. It does everything that the big boys do, even pulls a trailer. First, last, only bike. Your choice. Can't go wrong. And nobody steals them hardly. Just remember that 50 years ago this bike would have been a monster road machine.

Advice from he who knows:
   Always wear footwear that grips the ground.
   Don't let the clutch out too fast on wet grass. It will lay down.
   Don't start moving with a disc brake lock in place. It will stop on you.
   Don't expect it to stay standing with the kickstand down in gravel on the side of a two lane when an 18 wheeler roars past. It will lay down.
   Get someone to show you the trick for picking a bike back up when it does (not if) get tired and lies down.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 06/15/13 at 15:28:59

A 250 will Do it. The 650 makes it FUN!

I typed that a few years ago. IIRC, Paladin STOLE it!
Yea ya did, Paladin,, you know you did!
I was honored.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #25 - 06/15/13 at 15:30:38

Telling us what you have done without pics is just a tease. Wink

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #26 - 06/15/13 at 20:27:40

Serowbot wrote on 06/14/13 at 23:09:55:
I think this is at the very upper limit of a beginners bike...

It's small, and fairly light, with a comparatively gentle powerband...
If you are comfortable releasing the clutch and taking off... on a bike general,... it is a fine starter bike...
I started on a 60cc 2-stroke,... then a 125cc.... then a 360cc 4-stroke, a 500, and a much faster 500...

I did have a rider that believed he was experienced,... crash a Savage into a wall on launch...
...if the throttle feels comfortable to you, and you launch easily... this bike is an excellent learner...
Some people just seem to have a different relationship with the throttle...

Many of us have gone through quite a few bikes.... and this one isn't our first,... it will likely be our last...
It's actually,... pretty adequate for a first, middle, and last bike...
I've owned faster, slower, lighter, heavier... but, no bike ever covered as many bases as this one...
Just enough, but not too much...
Enough power to get me out of trouble,... but not get me into trouble...
Grin...
To me,.. it feels the way a motorcycle should feel...

I couldn't have said it better myself.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #27 - 06/15/13 at 22:29:25

I've pasted this link in here so many times I figured everybody knew where to look at my tinkered up machine. Oh well 26 is the charm.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Now go and see what a fella with a big bike bone yard up the road a piece can do without spending too much money.

Jack

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #28 - 06/16/13 at 17:24:21

Tara, first of all, welcome to the forum. You have discovered not only a great bike, but a great forum as well.
Their is  nothing about this bike that you can't learn from these guys.
Their is a tech section that covers everything you can probably think about concerning this bike.

Myself I started with a 2 stroke 50 cc scooter and went to a Honda Rebel 250 for 2 years, Then I got my S-40.. Her name is Genie and she is an 09 model.
She has given me hrs and hrs of riding with no mechanical problems.
She has the torque that has already been mentioned to get me out of places when I feel the need.
She has been looked at by HD riders and given the thumbs up.
She gets great gas mileage, yet again as already mentioned not as good as a Rebel, then again, she is a bit larger than a Rebel.
I have again ridden her for many miles and look forward to many more. I ride a total of 50 miles to work and back.
I will admit on a recent 300 mile ride, my hiney was a bit sore and back was a little as well. Yet that was easily remedied with a hot shower. So have fun and I do hope if you choose one of these bikes you will come back and show us a pic, and join our fun family.. Best of luck, Smiley kim

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #29 - 06/16/13 at 17:35:03

Kim kim kim. A hot shower is not how you take care of a sore bottom. Just saying...

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:17:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Would like info/opinions on Savage as first bike!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.