Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Would like info/opinions on Savage as first bike! (Read 378 times)
tlm9407
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lansing, MI
Would like info/opinions on Savage as first bike!
06/14/13 at 10:36:34

Hello all, I am interested to see what kind of responses I will get from this!

I am currently considering purchasing my very first motorcycle! (Taking my endorsement class this weekend actually!) I have been around bikes and on the back of bikes for majority of my life and have decided I would like to try it on my own! I am a little over 5'4" tall and about 150lbs, and I will be completely honest, I am not incredibly strong. I went to a local bike shop and they have a 2002 and a 2006 for nearly the same price. Both have decent mileage and are in all around great shape. I am wondering what everyone thinks about starting out with this model? Too much? Is it just right? I have sat on many bikes, but I am extremely comfortable on this bike. The controls are in the perfect position, everything feels right. It doesn't feel too heavy, which is obviously important. I have tried out Rebel 250 and 450's and those just seem a little too cramped. My only concerns with the Savage, (this will sound silly) I am not to sure of the speedo being on the gas tank, and I know it is a 650. Which would obviously have a lot more torque than a smaller bike... But I am sure that is something I could adjust to!

Any suggestions, feedback or anything of that sort would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

-Tara Smiley

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Would like info/opinions on Savage as first bi
Reply #1 - 06/14/13 at 10:49:52

Tara,
I think you hit it when you said the S40/savage feels right and you feel comfortable on it. You made the right choice signing up for the riders course. The 125's or 250's they use will be about the same size and weight of the S40/Savage. The biggest difference will be the more robust torque of the S40/Savage. You will learn to deal with that in just a few starts and it is really a good thing since it is almost impossible to stall a S40.

The speedometer placement is not ideal plus the turn signal indicators are built into the speedometer which is even worse. You will get used to it.

Just my 2 cents and good luck in the course and keep us posted. By the way, my first bike was a S40.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
tlm9407
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lansing, MI
Reply #2 - 06/14/13 at 10:57:07

Thanks so much for the quick feedback!

I really do feel comfortable on these bikes! I have spent countless hours trying to find a bike I really liked the feel of. My boyfriend is a fan and owner of an 85 Maxim and he LOVES it. I on the other hand, can maneuver it, but slowly due to its height and weight and the control placement is absolutely horrendous. Tongue After this weekend, I will be heading down to see if either of the bikes are still available. And if not, I will be searching Craigslist or cycletrader until I can find one! I am not going to settle for something I am not comfortable with just to be able to ride!

I am sure each bike would be mildly different, but is there anything I should know about clutching, etc? Any little quirks about these bikes? Unfortunately out of the 15+ friends we have that ride, not a single one has experience with the Savage.. Sad

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/14/13 at 11:09:41

Tara,
Every bike is different but there are no true "quirks" in the bike. The rear drum brake can get kind of grabby. It is a single cylinder bike with a carb, not fuel injected, so you will get some pops from back fire when shutting down and shifting, nothing major.

There are two common issues due to design shortfalls, a rubber head plug that can leak oil and the cam chain tensioner that can fail in a most dramatic way. Both are easily fixed and there is a wealth of documentation on this site. other than that, they are basically bullet proof. One member here just turned 100,000 miles.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 06/14/13 at 11:17:15

Don't know what kind of bikes they use in the class you are going to take, but when I took mine the bikes were GZ250 Suzukis. They feel very similar to the Savage. If that's what your class uses and you are comfortable on one you'll likely feel fine on the Savage.

I wouldn't worry about it being a 650. The savage engine is very user friendly IMO and is quite happy just putting around until you get more comfortable opening it up a bit.

Take a look at the threads in RSD about the cam chain adjuster and the petcock issues. These could be legitimate concerns if you are not interested in doing your own work on the bike. Not deal breakers, but something to be aware of depending on how many miles you expect to put on the bike.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 06/14/13 at 11:26:09

Welcome to the Forum!

Personally I don't think there is a better first bike commonly available at any price. I think Blinky nailed it with the comment on the torque. The savage has enough "ummmfff" so you can miss a shift, and generally be "wrong" with the gas and clutch and she still will rumble through the traffic light.

As to quirks:
shifting to 5th - on my bike shifting to fifth is "odd", its like  a "half-step" instead of a good solid step out of fourth.
Brakes squeal... mostly the front.. but both
The "fart"- If you end up in slow traffic, and "lugging" the bike much, the bike will backfire just going down the rode. Its embarrassing, but meh.
The "after-run backfire"... several things line up to cause the Savage to backfire when being shutdown. I have learned a series of steps to eliminate it:
Come to a stop
pull the choke out either half or full till the rpms drop
quickly hit the kill switch

The savage has a high idle rpm ( and requires it for proper oiling), it also fires the sparkplug every rotation. This allows for hot gases to be ignited in the exhaust.

Seat is not comfortable on long trips.
Seat dips into the tank too much, use the rubber stopper trick to make it more level.
Handle bars were too low to suit me. Risers really made it comfortable.
Vacume operated petcock can cause various issues, including fuel starvation at interstate speeds for long periods of time, switch to Raptor.
Any bike with a wet clutch will pose issues for obtaining oil. We have "oil wars here.
The rear end is very llight... this is good and bad. I don't like to ride on the interstate for long as the roads here are bad and the bike is easily tossed about in 70+ speeds. (but smooth as silk up to 60/65)

IP Logged
tlm9407
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lansing, MI
Reply #6 - 06/14/13 at 11:27:59

Thanks for the input! I will be checking out as much on this forum as I can! I will be doing all the maintenance on my bike. Smiley I am fairly handy and don't want to have to depend on someone else to fix something that goes wrong. Smiley The class should have an assortment of bikes. A friend of mine took the same course last year and he said they have a variety. Lets hope I can try something similar! Smiley

Again, thanks a lot! I appreciate any input!

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 06/14/13 at 11:28:59

Not much to add that hasn't already been well said by Blinky other than I just got a 2012 back in March and I absolutely love it. The second bonus is the wealth of knowledge on this site. It is true that with a couple of modifications and the right oil this bike can last a very long time with much lesser chance of mechanical failures than other bikes.

As they say, if the shoe fits then wear it and it sounds like it fits well.  Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/14/13 at 12:00:10

A good choice.
You can't go wrong.
And welcome to the site.  Smiley

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #9 - 06/14/13 at 12:04:06

paulmarshall wrote on 06/14/13 at 12:00:10:
A good choice.
You can't go wrong.
And welcome to the site.  Smiley

Yep

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/14/13 at 13:01:25

I believe it is almost the perfect beginner bike. light enough for anyone, low seat height. enough power to keep up with other road users.
My wife is 160cm tall (5 foot 2? ish).

She just loves this bike. She's had bigger bikes, Honda VF700, she could barely touch the ground with that. Also smaller (400cc) Jap rockets which are just mental fast. This suits her perfectly.  

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 06/14/13 at 13:59:15

Suzuki did make a Savage/S40 with a colour scheme deliberately targeted at the female market. You will find that the Savage /S40 can be backed into places easily, as it's light and the low seat height makes it easy for you to push it backwards. Because of the torque you can choose whether to use the gearbox or do most of your highway riding in fifth. A long ride, 300 miles plus, may rivet your backside, but there are seat pads and aftermarket seats which help combat this. Some on this forum have altered the stock seat to suit themselves. You must also be aware that your main fuel is good for 110 to 120 miles at best, the reserve is good for about 20 miles. I thoroughly enjoy mine and don't intend replacing it unless I win Lotto and then I'd keep it anyway.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 06/14/13 at 14:32:58

If you are looking for objectivity, you have come to the wrong place- we all love ours. Wink Wink Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 06/14/13 at 15:05:57

I don't see how you can go wrong...like everyone else has said.

It's got PLENTY of pull.  Just twist the throttle.  It's well behaved. The balance is good. It's light enough and the center of gravity is low enough that pretty much anyone can pick it up. And, it is big enough to enjoy riding it all over the place.  You won't learn to ride it and then almost immediately say I want something bigger.

You've got at least half the battle won by finding the bike that fits you well and you feel comfortable with it. Only thing worse than having to ride a bike that you hate is having no bike to ride. And, that might be debatable.

Love my Savage.  Wish it were a little more comfortable for long rides and maybe a little longer (more room) when riding two-up but it's a great bike.

Anything you want to know about the Savage, someone here knows it and will be glad to help you out.  

As for quirks...mine always looks like it's begging me to ride it whenever it is sitting in the driveway.  It just looks so lonely.  It likes to go "poof" when you kill the engine.  They sometimes develop rattles but the solutions for all those are available right here. Nothing major.

Enjoy the class.  Learn everything you can.  It will put you on a great footing for your first biking experiences.  Good luck, have fun. Grin

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/14/13 at 15:12:36

Tara, you might expand upon what you expect this bike to do for you.
I think this bike is a very good short range commuter.
And excent as a 1st bike, it was mine too, and still is.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Would like info/opinions on Savage as first bike!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.