Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike randomly shutting off (Read 78 times)
mrsrobinson82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike randomly shutting off
06/12/13 at 18:35:59

Have an 87 Savage. Runs great however after riding for 10+ miles at 60+ I come to a red light or stop sign, as soon as pull the clutch in and hit the brakes it just shuts off. It acts as if the spark plug is fouled. I have to give it throttle to restart it. It will restart and seems to clear up once I get moving again. It sputters a little at low speeds too sometimes and behaves the same way. This isn't constant which makes me think it couldn't be an issue of the carb needing to be re-jetted. My husband and I pulled the carb off this past weekend and its a little dirty but not dirty enough that he thought that could be the issue. Everything looked good. Nothing was sticking, no holes..... I am at a loss. Really enjoying riding since I just got my endorsement a few months ago but this is really making it not so enjoyable. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bike randomly shutting off
Reply #1 - 06/12/13 at 19:11:58

WWW   IP Logged
Minimech
YaBB Newbies

Hampton Roads, VA
Reply #2 - 06/15/13 at 20:40:39

Mrs. Robinson, my '98 was doing this same exact thing. I changed out the petcock to the Raptor, and just did an experienced riders course on Friday. Rode about 15 miles to the course, and rode all day(4+ hours, and about 5-10 miles worth of circles and those darned U-turns) and never had any problems. I am pretty sure the vac-petcock was dumping gas into the oil(have to take my wife's word on the smell of the oil). The only thing I have to get used to on this new Raptor is that I have to remember to turn it to off. Boats.net just recently had a sale where they were selling the Raptor for around $16. Not sure if it is still going on, but the link to the site is in the link that verslagen posted up above. Good luck with the bike.

'98 Savage, Raptor, Harley pipe
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 06/15/13 at 21:02:37

I wonder if one of you guys in the states could do me a favour? Find a price to privately mail one raptor fuel thingy to south australia? I been quoted between $40 and $57 for a supplier to mail one. Thats for postage only, on top of the (very reasonable) price of the fuel thingy itself. Seems a bit steep to me.
TIA
simon
haha the forum changes the word c0ck to "thingy" Grin. That's cute.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/15/13 at 21:49:40

Goto USPS..com and you can find the price yourself.

But I just paid $43 to ship to uk

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 06/15/13 at 22:48:46

Thanks I'll have a look.

IP Logged
mrsrobinson82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/16/13 at 03:56:16

Thanks y'all! We'll change it out and see. Desperately hope thats  it b/c my husband just can't find anything else. May be a couple weeks before we can do this though. His bike needs a new chain and sprockets so thats got to come first. We've also got it listed for sale right now anyway so I need to be patient. We found a friend of a friend who is selling a 97' that I want. We're hoping to sell mine and buy this one which needs minimal repairs and actually turn a little profit for a nicer bike. Chances are its likely to have the same problem but we'll see. So far it appears to just need a new rear tire, a new battery, a new plug & carb cleaned. Keeping my fingers crossed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:34:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike randomly shutting off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.