the bike you want. (Read 648 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
the bike you want.
06/09/13 at 04:52:59

strictly speaking,the topic I wrote to learn-what motorcycles like you specifically.
I saw that such a handsome.. I have rarely met beautiful, really beautiful bikes...and I always liked Kawasaki Vulcan drifter...

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: the bike you want.
Reply #1 - 06/09/13 at 07:59:34

If someone gave me a blank check & said "Here, go buy the bike youll ride till you cant ride any more" Id get a Kawasaki W-650. NOt for their beauty & styling, but the engineering. I Like the looks okay.BUt I really prefer STandard seating, over cruisers, so, it wins there.The drifter is classy looking, but, I like the W for all kinds of reasons, so. Thats my BIke..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #2 - 06/09/13 at 08:13:13

That drifter is a real beauty! I agree and I would like to have one, I had a yellow Honda Valkyrie for a few years.  What a bike....1520cc's, 6 cylinder, 6 carb's, very reliable, but built for someone taller than 5'8". It was super quick. I had a hard time convincing myself to sell it. I am very happy with my Suzuki Savage. It is better suited for leisure rides on the local mountain back roads and I no longer stand on tiptoes at redlights. My Valkyrie was great for riding highways at 95mph in the rain when I knew that there would be no radar. Commonsense told me that someday I would either get stopped by the police or a deer, so I listened to commonsense and sold it.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 06/09/13 at 08:23:19

wambr that's a very nice bike and well thought out in the details but it is way too fancy for me! My ideal bike would more likely to be the Triumph Speedmaster with a few mild modifications and subtle paintwork.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/09/13 at 09:19:54

Nothing in production currently appeals to me...
If Triumph would make a thumper in a bobber/tard sorta' motif'?...
This one is based on a Honda xl600...
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/katee-sackhoff-classified-moto-kt600-cu...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/09/13 at 10:02:39

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 06/09/13 at 10:24:13

That is a very difficult question to answer. To me, there isn't one perfect bike. I would need quite a few to have the "right" one at the right time. I really like my Savage. I would love to add a Valkyrie trike to the corral. I would be happy with pretty much anything that isn't a V-twin.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/09/13 at 11:03:13

Now Now NOW!,, Dont lump ALL V-twins into the same pot.
A Guzzi is a 90* V twin, they sound like a V8.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/09/13 at 13:25:58

Serowbot wrote on 06/09/13 at 09:19:54:

I really like this. Smiley
Bike looks hot too.  Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/09/13 at 13:58:36

Want for what purpose?

Generic beat the snot out of it, throw it away with no great loss and get another for a song? Savage or Sportster.

Long term keeper? Easy, pre-65 HD Big Twin in a rigid frame with a springer. Any pre-50 Chief or 20s/30s Scout. Maybe a pre-unit Brit bike.

Have to be metric? 1999 VN1500J (Drifter) or VN1500 Classic (factory black out model only since I truly despise chrome and would black it out anyway), ANY year VN800A or VN800 Drifter (had a Classic, not impressed but would get another if it was cheap enough and 100% flawless, it would get a 21" front wheel conversion for improved handling).

What else? 100% original and flawless WW2 BMW WITH all of it's Wermacht or (preferably) Waffen-SS stencils intact. Wouldn't likely ride it, seeing as my last antique (1951) BMW broke in half going down the road...  Angry

I know you like it, but the 1500 Drifter with a blending of Plains and Aztec motifs really needs to be repainted in ONE theme. And, the 1500 Drifters, while nice to look at, are nightmares to work on. Trust me, there's one at our farm... a first year at that. It decided it doesn't want to play anymore with just shy of 85K miles on the clock... waiting for an 03 Mean Streak clutch spring set to get here, apparently a Barnett carbon fiber clutch and an 85K mile factory Drifter spring set are NOT a good match...

So, where are all the people who'd vote to keep only their Slowpokey Salvage if they could in fact have any other bike... ? Hmm... ?

One of the biggest fan sites for the model, in the world... and not many would have one...  Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #10 - 06/09/13 at 14:02:42

This is my current ride.  I got it three months ago when my Savage died with 50k miles on it.  I have put 10k miles on this scoot in the last three months, including a 2600 mile trip I just made to California and Northern Nevada.  It has run like s Swiss watch.  There is a lot that I miss about the Savage, but there is also a lot that I like about this bike.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/09/13 at 14:21:19

It is rather nice to be able to get out of your own way for a change, isn't it? My Savage is generally a back up bike, on the rare occasions it still comes out to play instead of being a high rise for spiders. The electrical system failed about 3 years ago, bike has been in pieces ever since. I'll work on it a bit, get bored, push it aside in favor of something else. Still like it, just don't give a dam (I hate the filters on this site) if it gets done any time soon. It's an interesting toy, but a miserable excuse for a motorcycle. Has been since the day I bought it brand new in Feb 1998. Should have bought something a bit bigger, the way I ride, and my height/weight versus the bike's height/weight isn't exactly fair to the machine. I'm used to 74 inch or larger engines, a just shy of 40 incher doesn't cut it...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 06/09/13 at 14:34:59

gerald

I've made an offer on one of those ...   will know by the end of the day.
Greg writes
That is a very difficult question to answer. To me, there isn't one perfect bike. I would need quite a few to have the "right" one at the right time. I really like my Savage.  

I love my savage for local runs , but it just doin't do ridding double on the interstates very well.  

Seem to me everybody needs at least TWO bikes , or Three ??? Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 06/09/13 at 15:44:35

No, every rider needs SEVEN bikes, minimum, one for every day of the week so you don't get bored riding the same one day after day.  Wink My personal best was 15 at one time, not counting dirt bikes or street 2 strokes (which don't count because the only thing I hate more than chrome is 2 stroke engines).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #14 - 06/09/13 at 21:08:30

ZAR wrote on 06/09/13 at 08:23:19:
wambr that's a very nice bike and well thought out in the details but it is way too fancy for me! My ideal bike would more likely to be the Triumph Speedmaster with a few mild modifications and subtle paintwork.

You mean a bit like mine?

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:36:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › the bike you want.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.