Send Topic Print
HELP! (Read 132 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

HELP!
06/09/13 at 00:38:22

I am no mechanic but I have always tried to make repairs and diagnosis my bikes little quirks when needed. I also use the search option when I can but I am stumped. Maybe someone can give me a little advice. I hope I haven't damaged my rectifier or coil. My bike would crank over and over but would not start. I hooked up a battery charger and tried again and it cranked  and cranked,and then nothing. I have lights and all turn signals are working but nothing when it comes to the engine turning over. It wont even crank now. What should I check? Could I have burned out the rectifier or the coil by using the charger? Why would I have lights but when i try and start it nothing happens?

IP Logged
scannerzer
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

northern ireland
Re: HELP!
Reply #1 - 06/09/13 at 03:21:35

did you check the 2 fuses under the seat?

1990 ls 650 Met red,4speed
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/09/13 at 03:26:29

First thing to do is get your battery checked... Take it to someplace like Batteries Plus and they will test it...
How old is the battery?...

When they get old,... they will do everything except make spark.. lights will work, engine will crank, but but no start...
Also, check that the cables are snug... including ground strap

Mine's currently doing the same thing...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/09/13 at 08:53:11

If the lites look good while cranking, and the cranking speed sounds good, I really wouldn't suspect the battery.

What makes you think its lack of spark ??? Or did I miss something about it having plenty of fuel ?

on edit.......I did miss the part about "it won't even crank now"
Like said, start at the battery !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #4 - 06/09/13 at 09:03:35

to see if the plug is getting spark I have an old automotive trick.

pull the plug wire and get a nail or old plug and mount it in the boot.

making sure there is a small gap for the nail (no contact) OR if using the plug  the base is touching the block crank it over.

either way if the ignition system is working and producing a spark you should see a good blue to blue-ish white spark from the nail or plugs gap.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 06/09/13 at 15:46:16

I recently blew a fuse and nothing electrical worked whatsoever.  I went to the local auto store and picked up a pack of 2 for $4.50.  Everything is woring now, but $2.25 for a fuse is alot more than I paid a few years ago.  Best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/09/13 at 16:36:22

$4.50 for 2 fuses? They're cheaper than that at a gas station... or are you located where gas stations are just gas stations, not miniature Walmarts?

If your coil was fried, you'd know it. They tend to discolor and/or melt a bit when the internals overheat and let go.

Check your fuses, the main has an annoying habit of letting go for no apparent reason on several bikes in the forum's history. I had to put a 30 amp in mine to get home one night, and it still did it. Has off and on since the bike was brand new.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 06/09/13 at 16:53:35

O'Reilly's, and I think I was lucky they had them.  Unfortunately yes, in the middle of no where.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/09/13 at 18:19:12

Ahhhh! The old "Middle of Nowhere" trick! I paid something like $60.00 for an electric fuel pump to get a friends Suburban running down in Big Bend, texas. We were on a campin trip, That same pump in Odessa at a parts store was about $12.00...
As it happens. that outfit that sold me that pump wanted their cash registers cleaned & serviced a few years later. AND, it just so happened I was the guy who got to do it. My boss about pooped hiz drawz when he saw the bill I hung on the first register they brought in. I charged them a small fortune,& then they brought in another one,, & I knocked their heads off Again! I explained it to my boss why & he kinda giggled.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 04:45:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.