Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cubic Centimeter War Thread! (Read 589 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Cubic Centimeter War Thread!
Reply #45 - 06/15/13 at 11:07:11

Dave wrote on 06/07/13 at 14:50:34:
The intent of this post is not to make any enemies or stimulate a hateful conversation......but I have been pondering the question of why a 650 cc single is not a good interstate cruiser and not likely to become one.....

You first post starts with a false statement.  The Savage *is* a good Interstate Cruiser:

Bedroll, tent, suitcase, etc. in the saddlebags, down I-40 doing over 500 miles a day -- very comfortable, for me.  

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #46 - 06/15/13 at 11:57:33

B.J. and Jo wrote on 06/14/13 at 09:46:44:
DR 800 S Big 1996
Overall Length: 2,265 mm (89.2 in)
Overall Width: 865 mm (34.1 in)
Overall Height: 1,325 mm (52.2 in)
Seat Height: 876 mm (34.5 in)
Wheelbase: 1,520 mm (59.8 in)
Ground Clearance: 230 mm (9.1 in)
Dry weight: 194 kg (427 lbs)
Engine type: Water-cooled 779 cc single cylinder 4-stroke. OHC, SACS, 4 valves. Dual carb. 54 hp (40 kW)/ 6,600 rpm, 62 Nm (6.32 kg-m)/ 5,400 rpm. 5-speed.

Too bad they wouldn't update the S40 with the motor from the DR BIG 800 Single Dual Purpose Shocked

I beg to differ, but all DRs, regardless of engine size, have ALWAYS been AIR cooled.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #47 - 06/15/13 at 13:16:46

Paladin. wrote on 06/15/13 at 11:07:11:
Dave wrote on 06/07/13 at 14:50:34:
The intent of this post is not to make any enemies or stimulate a hateful conversation......but I have been pondering the question of why a 650 cc single is not a good interstate cruiser and not likely to become one.....

You first post starts with a false statement.  The Savage *is* a good Interstate Cruiser:
http://www.savageriders.com/paladin/LA-OKC/1000_Smiles.jpg
Bedroll, tent, suitcase, etc. in the saddlebags, down I-40 doing over 500 miles a day -- very comfortable, for me.  

I have no issues riding my Savage at freeway speeds.Even when it was stock.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 06/15/13 at 17:24:51

When I started riding motorcycles only a few saw it as a sport.  Most of us rode them for transportation and they were great for a kid.  They were cheap and simple to maintain.  They didn't take up a lot of space like a car so you could squeeze one into whatever shelter you had available.

The interstate highway system was mostly on drawing boards and Japanese bikes had not yet arrived in rural America.  We had lots of great bikes to ride from Europe, Jawa, Puch, NSU, BMW, and lots of Italian bikes and there was the Harley Hummer which did pretty good for 160 cc.  We didn't need a lot of cubic inches and considered a 250 a midsized bike and a 500 BMW or Triumph a really big bike.  They had all the power and fun we wanted.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #49 - 06/17/13 at 01:46:19

I agree.

To this day, 45-50hp is the most the average motorcycle rider is able to keep under control.

More than a war on "cubic centimeters", we are witnessing a war on raw hp, which, incidentally, is good for nothing.

Here in Rome, Italy, I get my kicks seeing kids on 400cc supermotards (you may call them supermoto or motards...) smoke the 1200cc supersports...
180 hp are good for nothing if your 1st gear will achieve 60mph+, whereas a supermotartd will be in 3rd gear and preparing to slide around that oncoming bend...

So, yes, I love my Savage. She's got all the power I need for putputting around and then some.  Cool

(  Undecided ...maybe... if she had 40-ish hp... I wouldn't mind... sometimes those superscooters really get on my nerves...  Embarrassed )

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 06/17/13 at 04:00:54

I''mmmmm Baaaack!

I just got back from the Dragon Weekend spend with other forum members riding in Tennessee and North Caroliina.  My measely 30+ horsepower and 650 cc made me smile all weekend.  I didn't feel the need for any more HP all weekend.  On the 11 miles nad 318 curves of the Dragon the sportbikes could fly past me in the curves or on the straignts.....but when I saw the width of those gummy rubber slicks they were running it does not surprise me that the tires stick like glue.  I also noticed that the riders had leather with big road rash gouges.......and that is not where I want to be at this point in my life!  I talked to one fellow about his fall and he said he is not sure what happened.....it just scooted out from under him for no apparent reason.....he suspected maybe his tires were cold or the pavement was damp in that corner.

I would like to be able to cruise at 65-70 mph with the rpms down around 3,500 rpm.......that would make the interstate stuff a bit more peacefull - but I don't believe a 650 has enough power/torque at that low rpm to make that work well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #51 - 06/17/13 at 21:11:21

I usually ride 65-70mph on my daily commute. The road is not a freeway, but a long stretch without any stops or exits. I could go faster, but there are a couple rough spots and the Savage suspension tosses me around at that speed.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #52 - 06/18/13 at 02:55:48

"I would like to be able to cruise at 65-70 mph with the rpms down around 3,500 rpm.......that would make the interstate stuff a bit more peacefull - but I don't believe a 650 has enough power/torque at that low rpm to make that work well. "

I don't remember the formulas right now, but you would have to figure out:
- how much hp the Savage delivers at 3500 rpm,
- how much hp is required to push and maintain the Savage at 70mph.

If the delivered hp is greater than the required hp,. then all you need to do is to do a chain conversion and find the correct final ratio to ensure you are cruising at 70mph at the desired 3500 rpm.

However, please be informed...
- I did the chain conversion, and modified the final drive ratio from 2.96:1 to 2.88:1 (17/49) => 3% longer
- I replaced the old 140/80x15 with a 140/90x15 (it was a mistake, really, but the final drive ratio was nonetheless modified by another 4%.

Thus, the overall final drive is now 7% longer and I cruise at 60mph  with an indicated speed of 55mph...
...the downside is that below 3000 rpm 4th gear is useless, have to shift down into 3rd...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 06/18/13 at 04:25:26

mpescatori wrote on 06/18/13 at 02:55:48:
"I would like to be able to cruise at 65-70 mph with the rpms down around 3,500 rpm.......that would make the interstate stuff a bit more peacefull - but I don't believe a 650 has enough power/torque at that low rpm to make that work well. "

If the delivered hp is greater than the required hp,. then all you need to do is to do a chain conversion and find the correct final ratio to ensure you are cruising at 70mph at the desired 3500 rpm.

I am not doing a chain conversion.  I love my clean rear wheel, lack of chain maintenance, and long belt life.  I will be switching to a Kawasaki EN454 front pulley that will change the tooth count from 23 to 25, and there is a rear pulley from another bike that is a bit smaller......that one will drop the tooth count from 68 teeth stock to 65 teeth.  The combined front/rear changes will drop the gearing from 2.95 to 2.60.  Serowbot's 5 speed chart shows the 5 speed to be turning 4,700 rpm at 70....so this change will drop the rpm down to 4,133 at 70.....which will be a noticeable change and the best I can do with a belt drive.  I also have an 18" rear wheel which has a larger diameter than stock - so that has bumped the gearing up a bit.  I imagine this to take a couple of months to complete.....I will post an update when it is finished and in operation.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:28:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cubic Centimeter War Thread!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.