Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Cubic Centimeter War Thread! (Read 589 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Cubic Centimeter War Thread!
Reply #30 - 06/09/13 at 18:54:15

LANCER wrote on 06/09/13 at 18:47:39:
Quote:
Lancer...with all this in mind.......is it possible to adapt a DR head and rocker box to a LS cylinder? And if so,wonder what improvement it would make?

They will not bolt up, the shape of the mating surfaces are different.
I checked into that a couple of years ago.
Too bad though, the much better exhaust ports and the dual plug head wound be nice.
It is actually possible to drill/tap the LS head for a 2nd plug.   Wink

What would be the benefit of this?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #31 - 06/09/13 at 20:50:27

paulmarshall wrote on 06/09/13 at 18:54:15:
LANCER wrote on 06/09/13 at 18:47:39:
Quote:
Lancer...with all this in mind.......is it possible to adapt a DR head and rocker box to a LS cylinder? And if so,wonder what improvement it would make?

They will not bolt up, the shape of the mating surfaces are different.
I checked into that a couple of years ago.
Too bad though, the much better exhaust ports and the dual plug head wound be nice.
It is actually possible to drill/tap the LS head for a 2nd plug.   Wink

What would be the benefit of this?

The air flow in the DR head is much better than the LS650, giving more air + more fuel = more power.

« Last Edit: 06/10/13 at 03:31:11 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 06/10/13 at 04:33:29

mpescatori:

Well I did some checking.....and found out something interesting.

The Suzuki Savage is a very primitive design whose engine has more in common with my lawn tractor than my car.  The bore is 94mm and the stroke is 94mm....which is square and pretty common for mult-purpose engines that need to be adaptable.  The current price of the Suzuki Savage is $ 5,699 and it is 30 HP.....so it is about $ 190 for each horsepower the engine makes.

The Ducati Panigale is a very high tech design with the current state of the art goodies.  The engine is a twin with a pair of 112 mm pistons having a stroke of just 60.8 mm.  This engine is very "oversquare" and has a lot in common with high revving Formula 1 engines.  The engine size is almost twice the size of the Savage....and the 12,000 rpm's the Ducati nearly doubles what the Savage can do.  The price for the 195 HP S model is $ 22,995 and the R model is $ 29,995.  The S model has a cost per HP of only $ 118....which is cheaper than the Savage!

Obviousuly we can't all spend $ 22,995 for our 2 wheel transportation....but the Ducati makes a lot of HP per dollar spent.  I am not sure how much the cost per HP-mile is if you were to compare the 2 bikes for 1000,000 miles of transportation.......but there is no doubt that the owner of either bike will enjoy the ride!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #33 - 06/10/13 at 04:55:30

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #34 - 06/10/13 at 04:58:33

I cannot imagine strapping on a 195 hp 2 wheel machine and going for a ride.  I would certainly like to, the experience would just HAVE to be a memorable one.  But what do you do with all that power ?  It is way over what is really usable on the street.
I think I would feel a bit guilty spending that much money for such a wonderfully designed & built machine when I could only use a fraction of its capability in daily riding.
That said, it is a beautiful machine to look at and I really admire the skill it takes to make it.  I saw a documentary on Ducati a couple of years ago, with a  focus on the people working there; many had been there for most of their working life and some were even multi-generational craftsmen.   It is quite a statement about the company and their whole mindset toward their work and vision.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #35 - 06/10/13 at 05:47:26

I currently have two bikes, the Savage (650cc and ~30hp) and the BMW (1200cc and ~110hp).

They are two completely different riding experiences, and not becaise of the raw difference in hp.

On the big BMW, the rider has a smooth, cool, riding experience.
A flick of the wrist and it's "vrrr-whooosh", a barely audible flurry of rpm up until the redline @8000.
Hp delivery is smooth and easy until 4000-4500, then "something" changes (the variable phase timing  Cool) and it's "Trans-Europe Express" from 5000 to 8000 rpm.
Like a Cadillac with a big bad V8 and a blower to boot...

Enter the Savage.
Rough, stiff, hard, will simply refuse to be mastered.
You have to sweet talk her into doing things.
She will not rev if cold.
She will not slow down if hot.
She will ride like a banshee if in the mood.
She will corner until I scrape my boots (never mind the pegs!) but never, ever ask her for a "stoppie"...
Huh
Roll Eyes
Am I talking about my bike... or a girl ?
Cheesy
Dasss my girl, my Savage
Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #36 - 06/12/13 at 14:04:39

I have to admit that I find this discussion odd, probably because I haven't ridden in decades and am essentially new again to motorcycles. I am 6' 2" and a dozen or so over 250. Just three weeks ago I took the Wife on a 2.5 hour ride via L.A. freeways out to West L.A. for a night out away from the kids and the S40 did great. I do get the cramped leg feel every now and then but I don't get the lack of performance issues that everyone else talks about.

Maybe it's that I don't have a recent comparison of what I could be rocketing off down the road on. Officially, I was right at the maximum weight but the unofficial estimate with fuel and overnight bag was easily more.  There were a couple of times I had to go from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd and crank it to slip past a traffic condition and it worked great.

I love that I could rebuild most of this bike myself and the milimalist electronics intrusion means that I could fix most of that too. I was just reading about the new Yamaha Star series 1300 where the water pump and oil pump are the same unit. Does that sound like a good idea to anyone else?

I am very happy with the bike and am over 2,500 miles since bought new at the end of March. I've even cut back on the 85 mph freeway speeds, not because the bike couldn't handle it or give even a little more but based on the advice on this forum - to stay under 80% of max. I'm really wondering what everyone is looking for out of their bikes....

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #37 - 06/12/13 at 14:32:36

"I'm really wondering what everyone is looking for out of their bikes.... Dane"

Simple. A power to weight ratio appropriate for the engine displacement and design. A bike with a reliable electrical system that is easy (and cheap) to repair when components fail. An ignition system that doesn't require an expensive "brain" when it fails, and it will, ALL parts eventually fail. Real brakes (I'll take a twin leading shoe drum over a single puck disc any day). Tolerable saddle, I don't even demand it be good, just better than the too soft drek pawned off on us since most "weekend warrior bikers" go no further than a couple hundred miles a year and don't know the difference. I'd love for it to have a REAL coil, not the plastic piece of crap with integral wire it ships with, but a real oil filled or epoxy potted steel housing scaled down VW Beetle type coil (like my 1963 Honda has a pair of).

Or the best bet of all, give the thing a kicker and a magneto off an outboard and get rid of 90% of the bike's common ills.

Oh, and a real motorcycle carburetor with a cable operated slide or proper throttle butterfly instead of the vacuum slide paperweight with undersized jets that it has now...

I'm dreading pulling the left outer case on mine, I have a feeling it ate the stator... pulled the right side cover and smelled burnt wiring (bad sign, the only right side wires serve no real purpose, neutral light switch).

Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #38 - 06/12/13 at 15:10:43

WD wrote on 06/12/13 at 14:32:36:
"I'm really wondering what everyone is looking for out of their bikes.... Dane"

Simple. A power to weight ratio ...

Ok, fair enough. I guess these are things I will run into down the road.

Quote:
Or the best bet of all, give the thing a kicker and a magneto off an outboard and get rid of 90% of the bike's common ills.

I thought the Petcock and Cam Chain Tensioner were 90% of the bike's common ills....

Quote:
Oh, and a real motorcycle carburetor...

Huh, in that case, that brings up the question of what bike would be more reliable, easier to fix, more performance or whatever Dave is asking about for the price?

I, myself, chose the Savage for the air-cooled simplicity and the word-of-mouth claims of reliability and "relative to other bikes" simple repair.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #39 - 06/13/13 at 11:04:36

Dane Allen wrote:

Quote:
Maybe it's that I don't have a recent comparison of what I could be rocketing off down the road on

Dane,
See if you can somehow finagle yourself a test ride on one of the modern sportbikes - Triumph Daytona, Speed Triple or a 600cc or bigger Kawasaki, Yamaha or Honda. The performance these things are capable of is truly astonishing. I'm not saying they make a lot of sense as daily drivers, but ride on one of them can be a real eye opener Shocked

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #40 - 06/13/13 at 11:26:00

oldNslow wrote on 06/13/13 at 11:04:36:
Dane Allen wrote:

Quote:
Maybe it's that I don't have a recent comparison of what I could be rocketing off down the road on

Dane,
See if you can somehow finagle yourself a test ride on one of the modern sportbikes - Triumph Daytona, Speed Triple or a 600cc or bigger Kawasaki, Yamaha or Honda. The performance these things are capable of is truly astonishing. I'm not saying they make a lot of sense as daily drivers, but ride on one of them can be a real eye opener Shocked

Yeah, I actually stayed away from those on purpose  Grin I see the kids on those things and I think "No way"!! Seems like the bulk of the wrecks and deaths are the under 30 and on a sportbike crowd. When a cruiser goes down it is usually not because of dangerous riding.

IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #41 - 06/14/13 at 09:46:44

DR 800 S Big 1996
Overall Length: 2,265 mm (89.2 in)
Overall Width: 865 mm (34.1 in)
Overall Height: 1,325 mm (52.2 in)
Seat Height: 876 mm (34.5 in)
Wheelbase: 1,520 mm (59.8 in)
Ground Clearance: 230 mm (9.1 in)
Dry weight: 194 kg (427 lbs)
Engine type: Water-cooled 779 cc single cylinder 4-stroke. OHC, SACS, 4 valves. Dual carb. 54 hp (40 kW)/ 6,600 rpm, 62 Nm (6.32 kg-m)/ 5,400 rpm. 5-speed.

Too bad they wouldn't update the S40 with the motor from the DR BIG 800 Single Dual Purpose Shocked

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #42 - 06/14/13 at 10:30:06

dr800...slightly modified... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #43 - 06/14/13 at 11:42:51

WOW!!! Very Nice!!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #44 - 06/14/13 at 11:53:44

I agree very nice.
What is that fuel tank off?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:36:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cubic Centimeter War Thread!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.