Send Topic Print
Shifting too hard? (Read 301 times)
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Shifting too hard?
06/06/13 at 17:04:27

Down shifting at a stop sign on the way to work today when I could no longer feel the shifter.  Looked down and saw it hanging near the ground.  Reached down and pulled it up and the lever locked in the up poistion.  Luckily I was in second gear and was able to limp home.  When I got home I discovered the linkage from the shifter to the transmission was snapped in half.

About a week ago I ordered a forward control extension kit.  That should come with a new longer link, right?

Pictures when I get back home.

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Shifting too hard?
Reply #1 - 06/06/13 at 17:44:06

wearsabrowncoat wrote on 06/06/13 at 17:04:27:
That should come with a new longer link, right?

Yup...
...be gentle you brute.... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/06/13 at 21:12:30

Ive never had to cram a shifter in place on anything. If youre sitting in neutral with your clutch pulled in for long, the gears will stop spinning & gettin in 1st can be hard. Any time youre having a problem getting in gear, let the clutch out a little to make it spin up inside, then gently Pres down,, If youre lifting that foot off the peg to hit the shifter, youre doin it way wrong,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/06/13 at 22:55:47

Yup,... what JOG said..
Bike trannie's ain't like cars... they aren't built to shift in stasis...  
...if you feel any resistance,... pulling the clutch will re-jog the gears, and allow them to mesh...

Huh???...
(Did anybody get that I said.... re-JOG?)... Huh... (as I support JOG's advice? but, referring to gears?)...   ...Score!... It's like brilliant, but slower...
Arh arh arh!.... Grin...

A tiny win... ...but a win...
Such opportunities are irresistible....Huh...
Eloquent response JOG...  I just couldn't resist the reinforcement...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #4 - 06/06/13 at 23:56:19

Pictures

image_078.jpg

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #5 - 06/06/13 at 23:58:28

Pic 2

image_079.jpg

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #6 - 06/07/13 at 00:02:02

As luck would have it, my 6" FC set was waiting when I got home.  However, Looking the parts over it seems the shift link part is also an extension so I need an operable original part.  I'm going to post up in the market section for a replacement.  What is the official name of the busted part pictured above?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/07/13 at 01:37:00

WEll,, its officially junk, now,

what? Thats not what ya meant?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 06/07/13 at 07:09:09

wearsabrowncoat wrote on 06/07/13 at 00:02:02:
As luck would have it, my 6" FC set was waiting when I got home.  However, Looking the parts over it seems the shift link part is also an extension so I need an operable original part.  I'm going to post up in the market section for a replacement.  What is the official name of the busted part pictured above?

http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m147605#sch512178

It's #38 in the picture. Rod,gear shift.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 06/07/13 at 07:31:30

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 06/07/13 at 09:12:00

Don't forget to grease the pedal while you have it apart.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #11 - 06/20/13 at 16:27:40

Not sure if l will get the response I need without starting a new thread but here is an update and my current situation.

Got the shift rot replaced today. Not too difficult after I figured out the reverse thread thing. However perhaps I didn't put it back together right because I can't get it out of second.   A short recap may be in order: I busted the shift rod downshifting into neutral.  Once I realized what happened I reached down and pulled up on the lever. Somehow this got me in second and I limped home.  Now that the rod is replaced I can't get it out of second.   Now that I think about it I'm not sure how pulling up on the lever got it in second if the rod was busted but maybe it was still hanging on by a thread and that was the last straw.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 06/20/13 at 17:21:31

I think the first thing I'd do is figure out a way to get the bike propped up with the back wheel off the ground, disconnect the linkage, start up the bike and see if I could shift it using just the little lever on the shaft. Maybe use a pair of vice-grips or something for a handle. At least find neutral.

Get someone to work the clutch while you shift it up and down through the gears with the linkage off. If it shifts like that you probably just need to recheck how you hooked the rod and new forward control stuff up. If it won't shift doing it like this then something happened in your transmission. I don't think that's very likely actually but it's possible.

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #13 - 06/20/13 at 18:04:24

I actually was in the process of building one of the wooden bike stands to swap the rear shocks.  I'll have to finish it up and prop up the rear end. I have all ready tried rolling it back and forth as well as riding it down the street in second while working the clutch and trying to get the shifter to budge - although nice and easy this time. I don't need another week down time waiting for another shifter rod.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 06/20/13 at 18:41:04

Quote:
I have all ready tried rolling it back and forth as well as riding it down the street in second while working the clutch and trying to get the shifter to budge

Do you have a Clymers manual? Take a look at the section in chapter 6 about the external gearshift mechinism. It's inside the cover just behind the alternator cover. If you absolutely can't get the bike to shift (even by hand with the wheel off the ground) I've got a hunch the problem might be in there. I'm not going to be any help with specifc advice though. I've never been in there on a Savage. Hopefully someone with more insight will jump in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:36:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifting too hard?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.