Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TheSavagePJ's '86 Savage Restoration Project (Read 58 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
TheSavagePJ's '86 Savage Restoration Project
06/05/13 at 20:09:31

This is a continuation of a post I started in the Cafe forum. For those of you who don't frequent The Cafe forum and don't feel like checking over there, I'll give you a short version of what it was about. Basically, a buddy of mine had to leave in a hurry and left behind a stock '86 Savage in neglected condition, due to it sitting outdoors for 8 or more years. Got it in my garage this week, and this is what I'm looking at:

http://imgur.com/a/fd80G#JJUJfq9

As for myself, I consider myself to be a junior mechanic, at best. My limitations are lack of experience more so than a lack of understanding. I have a background in drafting and engineering, I do my own auto repairs and what I can with my '04 Savage, though I have never tore an engine apart and put it back together. I am not the type to do things willy-nilly. Do it right or don't even bother. Just being honest with you guys. I'm hoping that I can, with some help with you guys, get a decent running bike. This is not about turning a profit or making some decked out chopper, my ultimate goal is to completely conquer the Savage, get to know her inside and out, and let her keep me warm on those chilly summer nights.  Wink

There is about 500 questions I want to ask, mostly because I am taking the training wheels off and going in balls deep, but I do realize my answers will be scattered across this forum. However, as of right now, here are my biggest questions:

1. I understand that I need to see if it will run before I get too deep into this. Before I attempt this, I'm thinking I should remove the tank (the inside is splotched with rust), rig up a fuel can to deliver fuel to the carb, give it juice and see what happens. There is oil left in the crankcase, about 1/4 of the window, though should I dump that old crud and do an oil change, or just pour some more on top? This is to determine if it will run, nothing more.

2. Is there a way to give the bike power without using a battery? Admittedly, electrical is not my strong point, but I understand the basics (I changed my tail lights myself! Cool.

3. Should I get myself a Clymers manual? I have a kind of poor quality one on my pc, plus all of the info provided in the technical reference section. The photo CD seems to be like it would be a big help.

4. What kind of tools should I be using? I have all of your basic hand tools, sockets, screwdrivers, vice grips, those kinds of things. I do not have, though I wish I had a compressor, nor do I think I could afford one any time soon.

There will be plenty of pictures to come. I like to be meticulous and I want to document my every move. Since I think it should be said, if getting this bike is already too far gone, I'll be taking every decent part left on it and it'll be going up in FS forum.

Looking forward to doing this!

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: TheSavagePJ's '86 Savage Restoration Project
Reply #1 - 06/06/13 at 03:31:49

Absolute safety would dictate changing the oil and filter, since you are on a restricted budget a small top up of any cheap oil will do for a five minute run. You could rig up a can if you wish, hopefully rig up one that has a cap or lid, you don't want petrol splashing round if you are trying to hold the tin and start the bike at the same time.. My preference would be to remove the tank and clean it as best you can, but it's your bike and choice. If you do remove the tank you can make a basic inspection of any wiring underneath it. You could also remove the seat and make a basic check of any wiring under there and by that I mean just looking for obvious chafed or loose, burnt wires or connections. The in hex screw at the back of the seat could be nasty to remove. I would check and clean your ground wire particularly the bottom end. It's probably better to get a second hand battery from a motorcycle wrecker, I don't think you will make it go without one. Clymers has known errors and there is a post on this in the tech section. If budget constraints slow you down read the tech section as there are good posts on valve adjustments, disc pad replacements and so on
Your hand tools should be ok for most things provided they are of reasonable quality. You mention you own an 04 Savage so you will be familiar with the starting drill

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/06/13 at 04:01:44

I would change the oil  Roll Eyes

Yes you need a battery, fortunately you have one on your other scoot   Cheesy

Basic tools should be fine, use what you have till you need something else  Wink

When I was learning to work on cars and bikes back in the 80's I always found it handy having a manual at my fingertips, I still prefer a book over on the web because it's there where I need it   Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/06/13 at 04:24:50

The manual is an absolute must have.....the descriptions and photos help.....we cannot be there for the removal and replacement of every piece.  If you read the suggestions for being a member of this forum and posting in the RSD......it does suggest you have a manual.

You do need a battery....but it does not have to be in the bike.  You could carefully use a mower or car battery if you connect wires to the ones that would go to the bike battery.  Be sure to use heavey enough wire, insulate it well, and hook the positive and negative sides up where they should be.

I would suggest you remove the carb and clean it......and if you want an alternate fuel tank that is fine.......just make sure it is safe.  An old mower fuel tank would work great.

Maybe the first thing to do would be to remove the left side cover at the rotor....and see if the engine turns over and has compression.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 17:24:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TheSavagePJ's '86 Savage Restoration Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.