Short in high beams! (Read 65 times)
spud14
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Short in high beams!
06/05/13 at 19:17:03

I have a '99 Savage--

I am from Nampa, Idaho but currently live in Provo, Utah for college. I rode dirtbikes and quads while growing up but mostly just trails and we used the quads for hunting. I never had to worry about fixing things cause my grandpa was a small engine tech teacher at my high school for 30 years. Any time there was an issue we let him take care of it and I was an idiot and never took his class!

SO I am admittedly a newb, but since I got my savage I haven't taken it to the shop once and I've fixed everything myself.

The reason for my post is I have a short in the headlights. When I flip on the high beams a fuse shorts out every time and the power for the bike turns off. If I replace the fuse and leave on the high beams, turning the key to "on" will short blow the fuse immediately.

The long story associated with it all...

I am a newb like I mentioned earlier so last year when I decided I wanted a bike I searched long and hard to find something that was well maintained and reliable so that I would have an easier time. That is exactly what I found in Savage and I couldn't be happier.

I was happy until some tard hit my bike while I was at work and it tipped over. Luckily I was watching when the dude pulled into my spot and hit my bike. He stopped and I ran out pissed to asses the damage. It fell on its right side. The throttle handle was all busted up as well as the rear tail light being busted. I was advised by my boss to start it up and make sure it runs before the guy left to make sure everything was good. It started fine, I rode it for a minute or two parked it and got a couple hundred bucks from the guy that hit it for the busted handle and tail light. BAD IDEA! I am from ID and he was just in town from Canada so I didn't know if getting his insurance and info would do me any good since he was foreign.

ANYWAYS, About 4 hours later I went to leave work and everything was fine. Although the right rear was dangling it still lit up as did all other lights. I pulled out of my work and cruised to the stop light about 200 yards away. I went to down shift and slow down for the light and all of a sudden all power was gone. No lights whatsoever and the bike wouldn't start. I pulled it into a bank parking lot that was close and got my wife to come pick me and the bike up. The next day I pulled open the seat, found the little fuse box that houses the two fuses and I saw that they were both blown. After I replaced them the bike started up just fine.

A couple days later I noticed that it struggled a bit to start but thought nothing of it. I had never had any issues with it for the past 8 months. I went out of town for the weekend and when I came back I couldn't start my bike so I push started it. After driving for a sec I stopped killed it and it started up just fine. I thought crap there is a draw somewhere and that night I found out where. I flipped on the brights and poof there went the power, while cruising I flipped it back to low beams and the power came back on and I continued on down the road. The next day I found the blown fuse that gave me the results of the previous conclusion that there is a short somewhere in that connection. It was one of the same fuses that had blown the night that the bike got his.

MY PROBLEM---I have no idea where to start to remedy this!

Thanks for any help and sorry I'm such a newb

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Short in high beams!
Reply #1 - 06/05/13 at 20:01:32

right were the wires go into the headlight bucket is where you'll find your short.

the wires aren't well protected and the turning action causes them to wear.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/06/13 at 03:50:04

An orange wire carries the power up to the handlebar control switch for the headlight.  After the switch the power for the headlights is carried in a white wire for the low beam, and a yellow wire for the high beam.  It sound like you are looking for a short in the yellow wire.  If you can't find it in the headlight area....then look back farther toward the switch.  There is a remote chance it could be in a wire that leads to the high beam indicator light....those wires are better protected and don't flex with every turn of the handlebars.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
spud14
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/15/13 at 10:09:13

Well this is literally the first day I had a few minutes to fix my bike! And that's about how long it took. Found the high beam wire rubbing right as it entered the light bucket so I tapped it up and it was good as new.

Thanks for the help and sorry it took me so long to reply.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:20:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Short in high beams!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.