Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike cutting out spitting and sputtering (Read 81 times)
hydell3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bike cutting out spitting and sputtering
06/05/13 at 10:07:36

ok lets start this off, its an 87, just a little over 12k fully stock.

the bike will start and idle fine, not one problem at all, you can give it a little throttle but not to much and it spits and sputters bad, the carb has been completely rebuilt, new plug, air filter, oil was changed. i have been working with this bike for almost a week now and i just cant figure it out. it seems like its not getting enough gas or the choke isnt working right but i have no way to really find out, i didnt know if with th carb rebuild if maybe the float wasnt set right or something.

please i need to get this figured out asap. thanks.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: bike cutting out spitting and sputtering
Reply #1 - 06/05/13 at 10:12:09

Does it ever die when you give it gas? Or does it go back to idling fine when you let the throttle go again? Do you get back firing when giving a lot of gas?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/05/13 at 10:22:02

Since this is your first post.....I willl assume you know nothing about the problems the stock petcock can cause.

Go here.....and try the tests to confirm the problem is not caused by the petcock.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hydell3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/05/13 at 12:27:39

no its never died once i let off, just runs bad when i try to give it throttle, but idles fine.

and yes i read around on this site alot before posting to see if someone else had the same problem, as far as i can tell on the petcock the vacuum line to it is working correctly and its releasing enough gas to keep the line full it, when i pull the line and turn it on it does seem like a light flow, but im not sure what how much its supposed to put out either.

IP Logged
hydell3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/05/13 at 12:42:46

im going to try the test on the petcock, thank you for directing me to that, hopefully this is my issue, if it doesnt change anything would me putting a video on the bike running on here be something i can do? that might help show you guys exactly what its doing.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 06/05/13 at 13:16:39

Quote:
the carb has been completely rebuilt

Did the bike run fine for some period of time after the carb rebuild, or did your trouble start right after the carb work? If so, I think I think I'd double check whatever was done to the carb before I did anything else.

On the other hand, if the carb work was some time ago and this issue just came up, the the petcock is a very likely culprit.

IP Logged
hydell3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/05/13 at 13:48:04

i just bought the bike last week, it was a birthday present for my girlfriend, it didnt run when i got it guy told me it was the cdi box, well the starter button wasnt working right but a screw driver on the starter solenoid it fired right up. just doesnt run right, the paper work i have stated that the carb was redone on 4/19/13 so i dont know if it was having the same problem prior to the rebuild, im assuming it was, and when the carb rebuild didnt fix the problem he sold the bike.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 06/05/13 at 13:54:31

With the petcock on prime that should just free flow and pretty much rule this out. Sounds like it could be some kind of electrical issue rather than fuel delivery.

IP Logged
hydell3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/05/13 at 13:57:46

yes it does flow fine its not a lot of flow but its there, im not exactly what kind of electrical issue it could be, the coil seems to be working fine and its a new battery.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 06/05/13 at 15:43:43

hydell3 wrote on 06/05/13 at 13:48:04:
i just bought the bike last week, it was a birthday present for my girlfriend, it didnt run when i got it guy told me it was the cdi box, well the starter button wasnt working right but a screw driver on the starter solenoid it fired right up. just doesnt run right, the paper work i have stated that the carb was redone on 4/19/13 so i dont know if it was having the same problem prior to the rebuild, im assuming it was, and when the carb rebuild didnt fix the problem he sold the bike.

Since the bike starts and idles I don't think there is anything wrong with the ignition( it's not really CDI by the way- not really important except that it might indicate that the PO didn't know what he was talking about).

As long as you have a steady stream of gas coming from the fuel line with the petcock turned to the PRIME position - and I mean a stream approximately the same size as the inside diameter of the hose- I still think you need to rule out the carb before doing anything else. It wouldn't be the first time someone supposedly REBUILT a carb and screwed something up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:42:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike cutting out spitting and sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.