Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Lycan Project (Read 782 times)
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Lycan Project
06/04/13 at 10:06:45

I have started a build and have been keeping a blog about it.  Here are a couple of photos and a link to the blog.  suggestions are welcome.

Starting point

Where I am now.

One of the places I am headed.

http://thelycanproject.blogspot.com

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: The Lycan Project
Reply #1 - 06/04/13 at 10:39:40

Kinda' RYCA without the wheel change or tank mod... That's probably how I'd go too...  
...(the cost/reward for those two mods just don't add up for me)... (I'd prefer to get a completely different tank, if anything,... more like Dave did)...

Beautiful flooring you got there... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/04/13 at 11:12:01

Im Lycan it so far..

Was that a church?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/04/13 at 11:28:02

Was that a church?

No actually it was the repair shop for a DeSoto Plymouth Dealer in the 1930's and 40's.

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/04/13 at 11:43:18

Kinda' RYCA without the wheel change or tank mod... That's probably how I'd go too...  
...(the cost/reward for those two mods just don't add up for me)... (I'd prefer to get a completely different tank, if anything,... more like Dave did)...

Some of what I have done so far is pretty much the same as RYCA but I had it made locally.  The rear set brackets cost me $65 and I pretty much copied their battery box for $10.  I have a set of GS450T cast wheels that I may try and use, 17" rear 19" front.  The front rotor will have to be machined,  the rear drum brake matches but I will have to convert to chain drive.  The rear sets came from Fast From the Past, and I made the connecting rods.  Long way to go.  Tanks are hard to find for a reasonable price.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 06/04/13 at 13:38:35

If I was doing a mod kit for a savage, the last thing I'd get rid of - I'd never get rid of I mean - belt drive.
The first thing I'd like to lose is the front end - or the triples to be exact. The FE is something I can live with if not for that god awful offset. That offset is needed for the tank, so I guess losing the tank and triples is the first thing I'd do.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/04/13 at 15:58:50

looking good!!   Cool

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #7 - 06/04/13 at 18:51:03

What kind of shocks are those?

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #8 - 06/04/13 at 20:04:28

srinath wrote on 06/04/13 at 13:38:35:
The FE is something I can live with if not for that god awful offset. That offset is needed for the tank, so I guess losing the tank and triples is the first thing I'd do.

Cool.
Srinath.

Based on frame geometry, the offset is needed to reduce the trail. The Savage runs a 2.45 inch offset, which is pretty standard for a cruiser. Most likely the triple design came first, then they built a tank that would fit.

Oldsport, are those Ohlins on the back end?

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 21:10:38

I have been trying to figure the trail on this bike but my methods are not very accurate. I was hoping to get it under 4 but I'm pretty sure it isn't possible now. Where it is now is close to 4.5 best I can estimate.  The shocks are Chinese air nitrogen knock offs. RFY's I found them on eBay for around $100. The seller was good to work with to get the proper length eye to eye and a 14 mm eye dia.  The spring and the correct eye thickness. I have a high pressure air pump from my mountain biking days so I can tune them. The reviews I found were surprisingly good.  They were affordable, look great, quality seem excellent, they look better upclose than the picture. They are not Ohlins but for $100 I'm well pleased. These are a little long but I'm pretty hefty. They are 13 3/8 eye to eye.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/05/13 at 05:32:54

Are you cerrtain those shocks are 13-3/8" eye/eye?  The angle of the swing arm looks pretty steep, and will likely cause a problem with any chain conversion or belt.  The change in belt or chan tension as the swing arm moves up and down will be siignificant - and you are bound to have the chain rubbing on the pivot point of the swing arm.

I have 13.5 inches shocks....and my swingarm angle looks to be less steep than yours.....maybe it is just an optical illusion.

I got to tell you....as much fun as the project is.....I am having a lot more fun now that it is rideable! Grin

IMG_0992.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/05/13 at 05:52:20

Hey Dave I think OldSport's looks like more of an angle because it's on a bike stand of some kind.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/05/13 at 05:52:48

OldSport wrote on 06/04/13 at 11:28:02:
Was that a church?

No actually it was the repair shop for a DeSoto Plymouth Dealer in the 1930's and 40's.

I could worship there Smiley
Neat lookin place,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/05/13 at 06:29:19

I have 13.5 inches shocks....and my swingarm angle looks to be less steep than yours.....maybe it is just an optical illusion.

The rear triangle is the same but you appear to have 18" wheels and to have droped the front froks as well.   RYCA doesn't talk about it a lot but all the changes are an attempt to shorten the trail and change the handling.  My research suggest that an ideal trail is between 2 and 4 inches.  I would love to know what the actual trail is on the stock savage and the RYCA conversion.  Those numbers have been hard to find.  My best estimate is that the stock is 6.5 inches and the RYCA conversion is around 4.  

Your bike looks great.  I'm really jealous, the tank was a great decesion.  I'm not a fan of RYCA's tank, yours is a more classic look. How comfortable is the seat.  I am trying to work out using the stock seat on mine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/05/13 at 07:14:51

OldSport wrote on 06/05/13 at 06:29:19:
How comfortable is the seat.  I am trying to work out using the stock seat on mine.  

For the 6 months my bike was up on the work bench....I was jealous of people with running bikes as well.  We would have a nice sunny day.....and I could hear the bikes running up and down the road while I was in the garage working.  It is sooooo nice to have it running again.

Ask me about the seat in a week and a half.......I will be riding with the boys at the Dragon for 3 days straight next week.  So far the seat is fine as long as I am riding and my feet are on the pegs.  I can feel some engine vibration in my butt......and so far an hour in the seat is all I have spent at any one time.  One evening I was calibrating my speedo and I would pull over and stay straddled on the bike while adjusting the wheel size settings on the computer.  When I got back from the ride the inside of my legs was red from the hard fiberglass edges on the seat.....it is only a problem when you are stopped for a long period of time.

Next wnter the bike will come apart to be painted - and it may also get a bit of supplemental padding in the seat.....or maybe some stylish padded pants!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:33:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Lycan Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.