exhaust wrap (Read 169 times)
scotland66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austria
exhaust wrap
06/04/13 at 01:41:52

Hi all, could someone explain to a newbie, why I see so many savages with an exhaust wrap? What are the benefits?
Many thanks

IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Re: exhaust wrap
Reply #1 - 06/04/13 at 02:22:25

It looks good.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 06/04/13 at 03:08:47

I have ridden modern bikes, as well ans "golden oldies", and currently own and drive a modern classic, a 1980 MGB.

There are many advocates to exhaust wrap, and many more against.

Those FOR exhaust wrap claim the benefit of keeping the heat of the exhaust gasses IN the manifold, and therefore claim the engine bay is relatively cooler. In cars... no point in motorcycles...

Example of exhaust wrap in a classic ... In real life, this is a true photo of an exhaust manifold that cracked where the wrapping ended...  Lips Sealed

Those AGAINST exhaust wrap underline the point that the exhaust manifold is engineered not only to convey the exhaust gasses out, but also to dissipate heat there where it is hottest, the head and the exhaust ports...
...trapping the heat IN, therefore often resulted in warped heads and overheated valve trains... Roll Eyes

It is not a mistery that in many "hotter" bikes of the '50s-'70s, the exhaust pipe was attached to the engine head with "finned clamps".

Therefore, exhaust wrap is the "would be tuner's cosmetic snake oil", it makes the bike supposedly meaner, but by no means any faster...

...and... it's a pig to remove, should you ever change your mind...

AND... come to think of it... the Savage already has a twin-layer exhaust pipe, so that what you see on the outside is merely the cosmetic sheath to the real (narrower) exhaust pipe on the inside !
Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
scotland66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austria
Reply #3 - 06/04/13 at 03:49:22

Many many thanks for the detailed reply!
Ive learned something new again!

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #4 - 06/04/13 at 07:41:16

I think you will find very few people here arguing that they wrapped their pipe for any scientific reason. The fact is, the Savage pipe gets really hot close to your leg and does not have the type of heat shielding that a lot of other bikes have. I still have the scar on my calf were i learned that lesson. These bikes are hell for melting boot laces, shoe rubber, and nylon/polyester pants.
For me, it looks classic and hides the dents, rust, bluing, and melted rubber that my header has accumulated. I think that is the same reason most other people do it too. BTW, because fiberglass cloth will hold water, I thoroughly rust proofed and painted the header with VERY high temp paint to keep it from rusting before I wrapped it.

I can't complain about the results

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
keith217
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/04/13 at 08:50:27

Thats a good enough reply for me. I definitely agree that the wrap is purely for cosmetic and convenince reasons. It's not something thta you see a lot on other bikes, so I guess you can say its an exclusive thing to ours.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/04/13 at 09:01:49

keith217 wrote on 06/04/13 at 08:50:27:
Thats a good enough reply for me. I definitely agree that the wrap is purely for cosmetic and convenince reasons. It's not something thta you see a lot on other bikes, so I guess you can say its an exclusive thing to ours.

I think it is popular with the Rat Bike look.....on any kind of bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 06/04/13 at 15:25:05

It took one real good burn and I learned my lesson.  The wrap is good stuff; although, it is not really cheap.  $50 or so.  It isn't as durable as I would have hoped.  As opposed to wrapping my pipe a second time I put the money towards 12" boots instead.  Best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/04/13 at 15:35:13

I wrapped mine but took it off a month later. Started to discolour and was worried about rusting underneath.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 06/04/13 at 19:21:56

paulmarshall wrote on 06/04/13 at 15:35:13:
I wrapped mine but took it off a month later. Started to discolour and was worried about rusting underneath.

It DOES rust the pipes underneath sooner than they would have otherwise.

The only advantages I can see to a header sweater:
-- it might make burns from incidental contact less severe
-- it might reduce the noise from the header "ringing" a bit
-- theoretically, it could cause the exhaust system to be a tiny bit less restrictive because:
    --- the temp of the exhaust gas stays higher
    --- higher temp exhaust is less dense, and, therefore, less viscous, so it should flow easier.

All of those things together don't come close to overcoming the goofy "rat bike" look.  Sorry, it is just a personal preference about the looks.  Some guys think header sweaters look great.  More power to 'em!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:25:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust wrap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.