Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Computex Taipai news
06/03/13 at 21:01:43

http://liliputing.com/2013/06/arm-introduces-cortex-a12-chips-with-big-little...

http://liliputing.com/2013/06/qualcomm-launches-quad-core-snapdragon-400-proc...

Silvermont is a vaporwear name that Intel has been touting for 2014, as is the Bay Trail name and various other Intel wonder chip names that have yet to come to production reality.

HOWEVER, it has become clear to ARM that they have left the gaps between their generations so large that 1) there is a place for Intel to sneak a real product into the spacing chinks on the off year and 2) by spacing generations so far apart the Chinese are being tempted into redoing old chips to tide them over between the main ARM generations.  

Both Qualcom and the Chinese are playing the "pump up the A9 for another year" trick rather than making the big leap to the next ARM generation.   So, ARM is going to try to make the "pump the A9 trick" go away with a finer bump increment to their generations in the future, giving away less of a gap for Intel to squeeze into.

The logic works as the NEED for all that big bump next generation ARM A15 big little power simply isn't here yet.   And Samsung's octacore big little wonder whacker (which is real and is in production) is a chipset that is really searching for a need power-wise as it is way way way too strong for a tablet right now, much less in a phone.

(and the OS isn't optimized to fully use the 8 cores correctly right now anyway).

Watch both Intel and ARM start tailor making chips for more specific uses, hitting the nail more exactly on the head for the year in question and coming out with new more specifically tuned chipsets on a sub-yearly basis.

Make no mistake, Intel and ARM are competing head to head now for very specific market segments.

Intel still isn't actually MAKING their promised chipsets on time or at the needed promised price point, and ARM is consistently getting theirs out on time/on price and then having lots of time to refinine them at least one iteration before the competitive Intel chipset actually ships in quantity.

BUT (and it is a big BUT)  watch Google this year -- they are going to use a rehashed A9 (Qualcom Krait) this year in preference to a more expensive A15 big little.  

Why?   Lower cost, it runs just about as fast on the currently released software and the supply level is really really there -- the rehashed A9s can run on 2 year old wafer lines that everyone has in surplus and the state of the art A15 big/littles are all fighting for primo production space on a limited number of brand new production lines from only 3 vendors.

And still, where the heck is Apple?

Anyone seen the big guy lately?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Computex Taipai news
Reply #1 - 06/06/13 at 07:21:13

Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/06/13 at 08:37:10

Does that come in a Reese's style?,... with a peanut butter center?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 06/06/13 at 08:39:24

I think I'm getting better at this...

Grin

So... what's next ?

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
keith217
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/06/13 at 13:51:17

You guys were cracking me up with those animated pictures. Lol! I only chocolate and beeer was that easy to get.

Technology is getting so advanced though, Hopefully in my lifetime  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/06/13 at 14:42:22

Now this is interesting ..... Rockchip has steadfastly withheld their base chipset code as "top secret" until they were triple teamed at Comdex by their suppliers and some of their customers, all of which want to use the chipset for a variety of items all of which weren't going to happen to a closed source Rockchip product.

http://liliputing.com/2013/06/linux-source-code-for-rockchip-rk3188-devices-n...

Yup, the 3rd to 4th fastest ARM based chipset out there (and the lowest priced one by great big FAR margin) is now a candidate for going into a low end Google tablet device.

It is also likely going to grow some distro support as it has the power to run a laptop or small netbox style Linux PC device (it has a good bit more crunch than the Tegra 3 after all and a couple of laptops were released running off of that chip like 3 years ago that worked OK).

This move also defuses one of the main selling point of some of the newest Intel vaporware chipsets that were just "released" on paper this past week.

RK3188 is just now primed to start its long slide down the pricing curve, having been out for over a year now so it will be replaced by a new kid in town fairly soon up at the top of the Chinese "high price" heap.

Cheap devices powered by this chipset will sell for $150 or less at retail at Walmart.    And they won't be slugs, BTW.

How can I say that?   Easy, a couple of Tegra 3 based 7" tablets are selling right now for $149.99 at your local Walmart.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/06/13 at 23:41:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/06/13 at 14:42:22:
Cheap devices powered by this chipset will sell for $150 or less at retail at Walmart.    And they won't be slugs, BTW.

How can I say that?   Easy, a couple of Tegra 3 based 7" tablets are selling right now for $149.99 at your local Walmart.

So... which is the best one?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 06/07/13 at 02:31:14

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-wit...

The pundits recommend this one as being as close to a low cost Nexus 7 as exists currently (you lose the GPS function and some of the motion sensor stuff).

But, think of your real intended uses -- they have 8" models for $69 and $99 that outperform what used to be the state of the art two years ago.

.....   Also I'd check the comments to find out if the product you are considering has a decent wifi detection range and good screen viewing angles.

When you see that Walmart moving 10's of thousands of these things for the price of a family first run movie or a quick burger dinner then you get a better feel for how many ARM processors are needed to keep the gravy train going and why chip production limitations can be a primary concern to these people ....

Watch your exchange warranty from Walmart, ask about it before you buy the device.   Then be sure to wring it out good to make sure everything works right INSIDE the "take it back" period.

If you are giving it to a kid, consider buying the separate insurance and find out if it covers all them little oopsie trips into the toilet bowl, etc.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 06/07/13 at 02:36:44

Wow, green thingy's with black thingy's and a gold? thingy at one end. I'm impressed. I wish I understood it all .

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 06/07/13 at 02:46:38

JC, what is amazing to me is that little two finger sized device has more computing power than a CRAY II supercomputer had back in the day when a Cray supercomputer was something really special down in the basement of NSA building in Washington DC.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/07/13 at 07:31:06

Yeah, I'm thinking about one for my kid, and anytime one of the laptops go I'll be recommending these.  Except for games, they aren't doing much with them, as they are still in school.  No need for high ended programs yet.   Grin

captured alien technology it is.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Computex Taipai news

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.